• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cognitive dissonance and . . .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
DDWFTTW.

Directly Downwind Faster Than The Wind.

For a while this debate sparked as much CD as creationism does (a subject that I want not to discuss on this thread)

Years ago it raged across a few forums . The protagonists started this as a thought experiment, then found a video of a person that made such a vehicle himself. Then they made and tested on themselves in a way that should have settled it (in my opinion). Then they made a better Directly Downwind Faster Than The Wind that was even more efficient and more obvious that it did what some thought was impossible. At this point this site (that was resurrected from the dead starts):

Wind powered vehicle that goes downwind faster than the wind? - TalkRational Archive

Please note that on this site at first new threads were started after a thread got roughly 100 pages long. That thread is 111 pages long. Though as the poor server got full threads were half as long towards the end (the site eventually crashed and died, though someone managed to bring it back to life as a zombie site, no new posts.

Here is the last, the 61st thread, on this one topic before the site died:

Wind powered vehicle that goes downwind faster than the wind - Part 60 - TalkRational Archive

Threads on this can still can be seen at International Skeptics Forum and Physics Forums, if one is willing to dig them up. Physics Forums, a site that is at least halfway respected by real physicists eventually accepted this as did various other sources. The site died eventually but not until after a man sized vehicle was made which was measured going over twice the speed of the wind directly downwind and was accepted by not only THE governing body for land sailing vehicles,, but also by Guinness.

Meanwhile what drew me to this is that Talk Rational underwent a rebirth and the topic arose again (though without Humber) It went over one hundred pages, before it went back into hibernation:

Direct Down Wind Faster Than The Wind

At any rate, back to cognitive dissonance and this thread. If you bother to go through that endless list of posts you will see some championship Cog Dis. People who otherwise have little trouble with Newton's Laws of Physics all of a sudden seem to have difficulty with them when they support an idea that goes against their instincts.

If you need some background without looking through those threads I will gladly give it.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
If they had limited the discussions to experienced multi-hull sailors or those that raced ice boats it would have been a lot shorter.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If they had limited the discussions to experienced multi-hull sailors or those that raced ice boats it would have been a lot shorter.

No, on sailing forums it raged too.

Now such a sailor does know that it is possible for a very efficient sailboat to sail on alternating downwind reaches (excuse me if this is the wrong term) so that the average speed of the boat dead downwind is faster than the wind, but they had trouble with a vehicle doing this while moving directly downwind.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't think this is about "cognitive dissonance". I think it's just about acknowledging the counter-intuitive nature of some information sets.

I personally did not have any difficulty recognizing that, or how, a vehicle could be propelled by the wind at speeds faster than the wind-speed.

David T

Premium Member
No, on sailing forums it raged too.

Now such a sailor does know that it is possible for a very efficient sailboat to sail on alternating downwind reaches (excuse me if this is the wrong term) so that the average speed of the boat dead downwind is faster than the wind, but they had trouble with a vehicle doing this while moving directly downwind.
In a sense you laid out the entire reality of debate on RF. We tend to bend reality to fit our perceptions. Which actually limits all creative thinking and really ends up being bad science and bad religion. In this forum one is related to the other and my undying facination of its pythonesque qualities!!! Cant write fiction very well without at least being aware of it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't think this is about "cognitive dissonance". I think it's just about acknowledging the counter-intuitive nature of some information sets.

I personally did not have any difficulty recognizing that, or how, a vehicle could be propelled by the wind at speeds faster than the wind-speed.
What is rather counterintuitive about this is the vehicle not only going faster than the wind. Doing so cutting across the wind is fairly common. What this sort of vehicle does is to go faster than the wind directly downwind. Someone sitting in or on it would feel a headwind that the vehicle was traveling into.

That tends to make some people's heads explode. The vehicle makes its own headwind.