• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change: Corporations Getting the Message

exchemist

Veteran Member
Interesting piece in yesterday's Financial Times, explaining that many corporations are now signing long term agreements to buy electricity from proposed renewable generation projects, thus providing the projects with the commercial confidence to invest. Apparently in Europe, over 20% of renewable power projects are now being financed in this way, without any government involvement or subsidy.

Examples of companies participating in this include Holcim, (cement) and Alcoa (aluminium), which are in notoriously energy-intensive industries, so very much in the spotlight on CO2 emissions. But I was intrigued to see also Prada and Ferragamo, the fashion houses! I don't know to what extent they control the sources of power used by the textile producers they contract with, but perhaps they are now putting some renewable requirements into their supply contracts, just as when I worked for Shell, we used to put health, safety and environmental standards into all our contracts with suppliers.

The motives for this are apparently quite hard-nosed. These companies want stable and competitive energy prices. Recent events have shown that fossil fuel-based power is unable to guarantee this. So it's not just "green-washing" or paying lip service to some "woke" agenda, as some of the American backwoodsmen on this forum imagine. It's based on real economics. Though I have no doubt the fashion houses will make the most of it in building their brand image.

According to the article, 44% of the top 9,000 globally listed companies have now set decarbonisation targets.

Yet another hopeful sign that addressing climate change is becoming embedded in society, regardless of the prevarication we see so depressingly often, from certain recalcitrant or pusillanimous politicians and political parties. (Here's looking at you, Rishi Sunak, and you, US Repubicans [sic]:laughing: ).

Heyo

Veteran Member
Interesting piece in yesterday's Financial Times, explaining that many corporations are now signing long term agreements to buy electricity from proposed renewable generation projects, thus providing the projects with the commercial confidence to invest. Apparently in Europe, over 20% of renewable power projects are now being financed in this way, without any government involvement or subsidy.

Examples of companies participating in this include Holcim, (cement) and Alcoa (aluminium), which are in notoriously energy-intensive industries, so very much in the spotlight on CO2 emissions. But I was intrigued to see also Prada and Ferragamo, the fashion houses! I don't know to what extent they control the sources of power used by the textile producers they contract with, but perhaps they are now putting some renewable requirements into their supply contracts, just as when I worked for Shell, we used to put health, safety and environmental standards into all our contracts with suppliers.

The motives for this are apparently quite hard-nosed. These companies want stable and competitive energy prices. Recent events have shown that fossil fuel-based power is unable to guarantee this. So it's not just "green-washing" or paying lip service to some "woke" agenda, as some of the American backwoodsmen on this forum imagine. It's based on real economics. Though I have no doubt the fashion houses will make the most of it in building their brand image.

According to the article, 44% of the top 9,000 globally listed companies have now set decarbonisation targets.

Yet another hopeful sign that addressing climate change is becoming embedded in society, regardless of the prevarication we see so depressingly often, from certain recalcitrant or pusillanimous politicians and political parties. (Here's looking at you, Rishi Sunak, and you, US Repubicans [sic]:laughing: ).
I also think that the fashion houses are mostly green washing but corporations have been interested in "green" energy for a long time. First were Big Energy. As soon as they realised that wind energy was viable, they built big wind farms. The risk that energy production could be de-monopolised was just too big and wind energy was subsidised. Now it is the cheapest form of energy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Great for rigged insider trading.

Twilight Hue

I'm awake. Unlike you, apparently.

Try reading - and thinking, if it is not too much for you. The entire point of the article is there are no forced incentives involved. These are purely commercial plays by commercial cocorporations.
Sorry I don't buy that.

There's always an angle to things.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sorry I don't buy that.

There's always an angle to things.
This is from the Financial Times, one of the most respected business newspapers in the world.

But I see you find it easier to simply reject it for no reason than to engage with what it says. (The article you link to has no bearing on what I posted.) So thinking or facing reality are too hard for you, it seems. Better get back in your echo chamber then.

Twilight Hue

This is from the Financial Times, one of the most respected business newspapers in the world.

But I see you find it easier to simply reject it for no reason than to engage with what it says. (The article you link to has no bearing on what I posted.) So thinking or facing reality are too hard for you, it seems. Better get back in your echo chamber then.
That's because people also work behind the scenes in hushed tones that the article will never ever mention.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Addressing climate change - and hopefully more importantly the human-induced sixth mass extinction event - will become embedded in how things are done because there is genuinely no choice in the matter. One cannot simply ignore that one's own house and entire neighborhood is on fire. Unfortunately, it has been ignored for longer than it should've been so we're more or less locked in to some of the neighborhood being burned down at this point. The real question to me is will the rebuilding simply repeat the same mistakes or not.