• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classics You Dislike

AlexanderG

My oldest son wouldn't read until he came across Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. About that time, I had argued with his teacher about his reading comprehension. She said he didn't have any, I said he didn't care for the books she chose.

I ended up reading one of his Wimpy Kid books to test out his reading comprehension. It was as I suspected. He understood his books fine, he just didn't like hers. But, I got hooked on the Wimpy Kid books, too.

I remember in one of the books, Greg, the main character claims he doesn't like classics because they're gloomy and someone always dies in the end. I suspect he's not too far off from the truth there...

Great, any reading is good reading. My kids are around that same age Wimpy Kid age. There are a lot of similar books series like HiLo, Timmy Failure, Jedi Academy, Diary of a Minecraft Zombie, Bots, etc.

Whenever my mom visits, she starts talking up books to them like The Secret Garden and Peter Pan, and can't seem to understand that few modern kids would ever enjoy reading those even though it's what she read as a child. My wife's parents, on the other hand, go out of their way to figure out what my kids like and then find fun books that directly target that interest.

I think your son's teacher was a bit of a fossil.

Suave

Simulated character
American Beauty used to be one of my favorite films, that was until I found out Kevin Spacey was a pedophile., Now I find this film to be rather creepy. Deja Vu, is this thread similar to one I have seen before?

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Rival, have you read 'Ulysses'? I never was able to get started as it seemed so chaotic to me.

James Joyce is unreadable. Although I do know one person who has read Ulysses, and two who have read Portrait Of The Artist. I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone has ever read to the end of Finnagan’s Wake

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I thought Lord of the Rings trilogy was a well written story of a long walk... Boring

Is Game of Thrones a classic? Started reading it soon after the third book was first published, thr most boring thing ever. And i never watched the TV program because of this

exchemist

Veteran Member
We did it at GCSE and I remember specifically writing it's a 'lust story' instead of love. Lol.​

Because it is :rolleyes:
That's at least partly true. It's really a sex story, with both lust and romantic love playing a part - as it does in real relationships. There are an awful lot of dirty jokes and innuendos with Mercutio cast as the cynic, pointing out it's all just animal instinct and making fun of it all.

I remember once someone saying it is quite amusing to take popular songs and replace every instance of the word "love" with "dick" and see what you get."Heartbreak Hotel", for example :D - we've all been there......

That's very much Mercutio's attitude.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the English school system, the exam everyone takes at about 15 or 16. O stood for Ordinary Level, as opposed to A Level which is the Advanced Level, taken around 17-18 before going to university.

O Level is now called GCSE (= General Certificate of Secondary Education). A level is still A level.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is Game of Thrones a classic? Started reading it soon after the third book was first published, thr most boring thing ever. And i never watched the TV program because of this
You've really missed something.
It's like Downton Abbey, but larger in scope,
with even more violence...& dragons.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You've really missed something.
It's like Downton Abbey, but larger in scope,
with even more violence...& dragons.

I had bought the (at that time) trilogy.
The first book was hard work. I managed about half of Clash of Kings and decided, enough.

I hear after the fact the TV prog was greatly improved over the book but I wasn't prepared to risk it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had bought the (at that time) trilogy.
The first book was hard work. I managed about half of Clash of Kings and decided, enough.

I hear after the fact the TV prog was greatly improved over the book but I wasn't prepared to risk it.
GOT was one of the best things I'd ever seen.
Worth the risk.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
GOT was one of the best things I'd ever seen.
Worth the risk.
Just don’t speak about the last season
Lol
I’ve never in my life seen a fanbase turn so suddenly on an ending
I think even Rowling getting “cancelled” wasn’t as harsh as that cancelling
Yeesh!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just don’t speak about the last season
Lol
I’ve never in my life seen a fanbase turn so suddenly on an ending
I think even Rowling getting “cancelled” wasn’t as harsh as that cancelling
Yeesh!
In any great series, the greatness varies from
episode to episode, & season to season.
The ending didn't bother me.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
In any great series, the greatness varies from
episode to episode, & season to season.
The ending didn't bother me.
Neither me. But try having that opinion in the fanbase. I’d sooner praise Batman and Robin among the DC fandom. Lol

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Neither me. But try having that opinion in the fanbase. I’d sooner praise Batman and Robin among the DC fandom. Lol
I'm willing to face discussion abortion, religion, & politics....but
not superheroes. There's just too much venom & carnage.

Uh oh...that could be misread...not dissing Marvel.