• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classics You Dislike

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the classic novels you dislike?

I couldn't make it through Jane Eyre.
I never read anything I didn't like. I've never read Lord of the Flies. I always thought of it as an artificial classic, something that English teachers wanted me to think that it was a classic but that actually wasn't a classic. It was a book that they, for some reason, made students read and thereby caused it to be a classic.

That was my teenage reasoning. "I'm not going to let them make something be a classic that isn't!" Not that I really cared. I actually didn't know if it was genuinely a classic or not, but it seemed like an English teacher thing rather than a book anybody would desire to read.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
We were required to memorize "The Charge of the Light Brigade",a poem. That was Ok. I liked "Julius Caesar" but I did not like "Ben Hur"and it took more time than I like to admit to read,"The Great Train Robbery", not a favorite of mine.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The Lord of the Rings. Bloody Tom Bombadil, the ultimate pub bore.

Also hated the Catcher in the Rye. But perhaps that's not a classic.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Now I did that one for O Level and in consequence I like it a lot, though it is in some ways rather ridiculous, admittedly.
We did it at GCSE and I remember specifically writing it's a 'lust story' instead of love. Lol.​

Because it is :rolleyes:

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Rival, have you read 'Ulysses'? I never was able to get started as it seemed so chaotic to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gravity's Rainbow....uninteresting & tedious.
Shakespeare's anything....inscrutable language.
The Catcher In The Rye....uninteresting

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Oliver Twist. Too preachy, too judgmental, not enough genuine empathy for the characters.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hard Times.
Way too dreary, even for Dickens.
A Clockwork Orange I never got. Though weirdly I do actually like the movie.
I hated the Butler Translation of the Odyssey. I actually like the other translations. So I don’t know if that counts? Lol

AlexanderG

I can't think of any classics that I did like. The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, anything by Shakespeare, Lord of the Flies, Tale of Two Cities, anything by Jane Austen, etc.

I read avidly, and I always have. I would usually read a few books a week in my free time while going to school growing up. But I always thought the classics were boring, unrelatable, irrelevant to my life or my dreams, and conceptually simple.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't think of any classics that I did like. The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, anything by Shakespeare, Lord of the Flies, Tale of Two Cities, anything by Jane Austen, etc.

I read avidly, and I always have. I would usually read a few books a week in my free time while going to school growing up. But I always thought the classics were boring, unrelatable, irrelevant to my life or my dreams, and conceptually simple.

My oldest son wouldn't read until he came across Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. About that time, I had argued with his teacher about his reading comprehension. She said he didn't have any, I said he didn't care for the books she chose.

I ended up reading one of his Wimpy Kid books to test out his reading comprehension. It was as I suspected. He understood his books fine, he just didn't like hers. But, I got hooked on the Wimpy Kid books, too.

I remember in one of the books, Greg, the main character claims he doesn't like classics because they're gloomy and someone always dies in the end. I suspect he's not too far off from the truth there...