• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circumcision without consent. Is it wrong?

Is it wrong to circumcise a baby who cannot consent?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Only Jewish people should be able to

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Idk yo

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Male circumcision is far different from FGM. It's still unnecessary and, in my opinion, should be banned except for consenting adults, but millions of men live normally even after circumcision, unlike what FGM often does to women.
Again, I oppose all non-medical surgery on
those unable to give consent, male, female,
or other.
See post #75 for complexities of the issue.
By the way, this is my opinion as a circumcised male.
OK.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just as it is not wrong to pierce ones daughter's ears without consent... Or is that wrong.
Yes, that's also wrong.

How about this as a general principle: let's not do things that inflict pain on little kids without a very good reason.

... and the parents' vanity or their desire to undermine the religious freedom of the adult the child will become are not good reasons.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Again, I oppose all non-medical surgery on
those unable to give consent, male, female,
or other.
See post #75 for complexities of the issue.

OK.
I dunno -- wouldn't it be kind of fun to give your newborn nicely shaped ears like a Tolkien elf? Or maybe bind their feet so that they never get above size 2 -- and so what if they can't walk properly? You won't have to buy new shoes every other month!.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I had it done to me... it never affected my life negativity. Obviously I didn't know about it until much later. No little kid gets to decide what medical procedure they need. If they did most would opt out of needed surgeries.
Just out of curiosity, do you know if you would have felt more, less or the same sensations during sex if you hadn't had it done? What if you're missing exstatic because you were condemned to experience just very nice, without having a say?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I dunno -- wouldn't it be kind of fun to give your newborn nicely shaped ears like a Tolkien elf? Or maybe bind their feet so that they never get above size 2 -- and so what if they can't walk properly? You won't have to buy new shoes every other month!.
Is that common up there in Canuckistan?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's nothing "common" up here. With less than 40 million of us, and all this land, it's rare to even run into somebody! :D
Do you know @Wirey?
He's up there somewhere.
R.f7c7b25bdfcfc7186ac7a51d752f231e

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Circumcision done correctly doesn't ruin sex, I don't know where people are coming up with that.
And it has a lot of advantages.
Having said that we did not do it to our boys.
I think it's kind of silly to say that it is wrong because they can't consent, when it's legal to terminate an unborn child without his consent.
And this is just a medical procedure with little consequence.

Circumcision decreases sensitivity.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Like most American men I was circumcized as an infant. However, when my son was born we opted to forgo the procedure. My religious and conservative inlaws weren't happy with our decision. One of his aunts stated "now other boys will make fun of him." Ridiculous. Besides, I don't think anyone with that mindset would admit to cockscoping anyway.

What was the reason they didn't like it?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Circumcision done correctly doesn't ruin sex, I don't know where people are coming up with that.
And it has a lot of advantages.
Having said that we did not do it to our boys.
I think it's kind of silly to say that it is wrong because they can't consent, when it's legal to terminate an unborn child without his consent.
And this is just a medical procedure with little consequence.
:cool:

You got them all check mate there

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Those who are circumcised are often circumcised when they are just a few days old, like me. Can an 8 day old baby consent to such a procedure? Of course not.
In the Protestant church my parents were going to when I was born, it was common practice for the Christians there to circumcise their children. So that’s what my mom did. We aren’t Jewish. It’s not required of us Christians. When I realized I was circumcised (whilst in high school) I was quite quite mad.
Circumcision has permanent effects on the male who is at the receiving end. At the very least shouldn’t they get a say in it? Imagine if a female got an equivalent to a male circumcision. That would F up their capacity to be intimate at least in some degree.
If you feel circumcision is wrong without consent, do you also feel that way for the Jewish people? Their religion demands that they do this, right? Is it wrong for a Jewish person to circumcise their baby?
I feel like Moses had some reservations about circumcision. He didn’t circumcise his kids, even at the threat of God killing him. It was his wife who cut the foreskins off their sons when God was chasing them.
Probably mentioned already, but if you are going to wait until the age of consent to have a circumcision, it will probably be quite painful.

stvdv

If you feel circumcision is wrong without consent, do you also feel that way for the Jewish people?
IMHO:
If it is scientifically proven to be generally unnecessary then it is definitely Adharmic. But do remember that smoking also harms the (un)born child, as well as giving food that science marked as unhealthy

Best way is to let Science determine how much this torture is needed, right? Then the experts can debate with the religion. The winner decides. "God said so" is obviously unacceptable in this case, just some common sense arguments are allowed

Of course science has done this... which begs the interesting question why they still do it, right? Scientists as well as religious (fanatics)

Note: Medical emergency excluded
Note: Remember that doctors pledged to help and not harm

stvdv

Their religion demands that they do this, right? Is it wrong for a Jewish person to circumcise their baby?
You get to the crucial questions:

How about freedom of religion
How about freedom to bring up your own children
Does religious torture traumatising children trumps science?
etc

stvdv

I feel like Moses had some reservations about circumcision. He didn’t circumcise his kids, even at the threat of God killing him. It was his wife who cut the foreskins off their sons when God was chasing them
Thanks. Great Bible facts, I did not know that

This proves that religious people should not do it