• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronicles of Narnia

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
YmirGF said:
If my addled memory serves correct I thought Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends. I am certain of it, in fact. That being said, it certainly stands as high praise for Lewis and his style.

I have not seen Chronicles yet, but it is on my list of things to do.
You are right; one of the many things I didn't know...........
http://atheism.about.com/od/cslewisnarnia/a/jrrtolkein.htm
Many fans are aware of that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were close friends. Tolkien helped convert Lewis to Christianity, whereas Lewis encouraged Tolkien to expand his fictional writing; both taught at Oxford, both were interested in literature, and both wrote fictional books which propagated basic Christian themes and principles. At the same time, though, they also had serious disagreements — in particular, over the quality of Lewis’ Narnia books.

Ori

Angel slayer
I thought Narnia was good, but not great, I thought it could've done with a bit more length for characterization.

I thought Aslan was fantastic and the stone table scene was one of the best of the year.

TheGreaterGame

Jensa said:
Then went and slaughtered his enemies... yep, that sounds like Jesus. ;) I still say that's more Norse than Christian.
It does if you know anything about the judgement Christ is going to lay down on this earth in the last battle. Isaiah sees a Jesus soaked in the blood of his enemies on the day of his return . . . Jesus came like a lamb the first time and he returns as a lion the second.

linwood

I took my daughter to see it, it was her first movie theater experience.
She loved it!

I had read the book to her previously and was fairly well unimpressed for my part as Lewis never really gave his characters any substance.
The movie however I enjoyed alot.

I could see the Christian allegory throughout the flick, redemption, sacrifice(for someone elses sin), resurrection, objective morality.
I don`t think the avergae viewer is going to see it as clearly as I did though considering it`s a topic of study for me.

Overall it was a really good experience for me and my daughter, enjoyable.

turk179

I smell something....
TheGreaterGame said:
Lewis's theological convictions bleed through every page of The Magicians Nephew and The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe . . . and I think its great . . . Hollywood is now forced to make good Christian entertainment . . . I can't wait till Gibson takes "The Acts" . . . now that would be something . . . imagine Robert Deniro as The Apostle Paul, and James Gandolgini as The Apostle Peter . . .
I am having a hard time not picturing gun fondling individuals capturing major Hollywood producers and saying "you are now forced to make good Christian entertainment!":biglaugh:
I agree with Draka on this issue. It was a wonderfully made movie. Whether it was done as a movie dripping with Christian ideals or not is irrelevant.
I do hope that they do the entire series. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was my favorite but "The Last Battle" supprised me. Maybe I was just naive:D .

turk179

I smell something....
I am sure I don't need to mention this but for the benefit of those that have not read the entire series lets not ruin any surprises that there might be from those of us that have read the entire series.

TheGreaterGame

turk179 said:
I am having a hard time not picturing gun fondling individuals capturing major Hollywood producers and saying "you are now forced to make good Christian entertainment!":biglaugh:
I agree with Draka on this issue. It was a wonderfully made movie. Whether it was done as a movie dripping with Christian ideals or not is irrelevant.
I do hope that they do the entire series. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was my favorite but "The Last Battle" supprised me. Maybe I was just naive:D .
Its always about the money . . . and Christians want to be entertained with Christian themed movies and stories . . . this is what I mean by "forced" . . . I don't know to many Christians who want to go see "Broke Back Mountain" . . . hopefully Hollywood will get the point and start making movies people want to watch.

Ðanisty

TheGreaterGame said:
I don't know to many Christians who want to go see "Broke Back Mountain" . . . hopefully Hollywood will get the point and start making movies people want to watch.
Just say what you mean. You hope that Hollywood will get the point and start making movies Christians want to watch. A lot of people want to watch Broke Back Mountain.

turk179

I smell something....
TheGreaterGame said:
Its always about the money . . . and Christians want to be entertained with Christian themed movies and stories . . . this is what I mean by "forced" . . . I don't know to many Christians who want to go see "Broke Back Mountain" . . . hopefully Hollywood will get the point and start making movies people want to watch.
I understand where you are coming from and didn't mean anything by my joke but I have to disagree with you on Hollywood getting the point. Hollywood wouldn't be making the movies that they have if they didn't think that someone out there would want to watch it. I do have to give kudos to Mel Gibson though because I believe he made his "Passion" movie without any regard for whether or not anyone would watch it. Something like that takes guts. But this seems to be getting off topic a little so I will hush up now.

TheGreaterGame

Ðanisty said:
Just say what you mean. You hope that Hollywood will get the point and start making movies Christians want to watch. A lot of people want to watch Broke Back Mountain.
I already said what I meant . . . there is nothing more to it.

Popeyesays

TheGreaterGame said:
The movie was wonderful, a faithful rendition of the intent of the book. I heard several families with small children who were thoroughly frightened by the movie however. It needed a PG-13 rating for violence. I hope they make the rest of the books as well.

Regards,
Scott

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Popeyesays said:
The movie was wonderful, a faithful rendition of the intent of the book. I heard several families with small children who were thoroughly frightened by the movie however. It needed a PG-13 rating for violence. I hope they make the rest of the books as well.

Regards,
Scott
It was, as you say, completely faithful to the books. I was a little disappointed when Peter kept pulling his sword out of bad guys still shiny and clean. . . But it is a kids movie I suppose.

I still stand by my earlier statement that they should have made the Majicians Nephew first. TLTWATW would have made far more sense to some of the adults going then! (I went at a 9pm showing and the theatre was packed with people my age and older)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
ChrisP said:
It was, as you say, completely faithful to the books. I was a little disappointed when Peter kept pulling his sword out of bad guys still shiny and clean. . . But it is a kids movie I suppose.

I still stand by my earlier statement that they should have made the Majicians Nephew first. TLTWATW would have made far more sense to some of the adults going then! (I went at a 9pm showing and the theatre was packed with people my age and older)
Actually, in one of the reviews I read, the reviewer was very down on the lack of backstory. She seemed quite vexed and obsessed by the Lantern Waste in particular. 'WHY is there a lampost in the middle of nowhere?!!'

ChrisP

Veteran Member
lady_lazarus said:
Actually, in one of the reviews I read, the reviewer was very down on the lack of backstory. She seemed quite vexed and obsessed by the Lantern Waste in particular. 'WHY is there a lampost in the middle of nowhere?!!'
:biglaugh: I guess the critics don't know what they're talking about.

What's new :p

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
angellous_evangellous said:
...For me, the idea of redemption (a central tenant in Christian philosophy = the children), evil (the witch = Satan), God (Santa Claus), and Christ (Aslan), the effects of sin (eternal winter), and the responsibility of humanity to rule the world permeated the entire movie...
When I saw it with my wife and friends who had practically worn out the book, we made similar observations as we were leaving the theatre.:)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
CaptainXeroid said:
When I saw it with my wife and friends who had practically worn out the book, we made similar observations as we were leaving the theatre.:)
It does, but sacrifice is also a central tenet of humanity itself. Sacrifice and judgement (or lack thereof) or the pillars of nearly all religions.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Lewis brings up te obtuse better than any one else.

The "Deep Magic": what a wonderful way to describe it.

The breaking of the Table: Like the tearing of the curtains when the Law had been fulfilled.

The look on the Queen's face when she saw the ressurected Aslan, is precisely how the devil must have looked when Jesus cried out "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani!"

I read the entire series in 1975 or 1976 and my memory is as bit fuzzy, but I liked what I saw.

M

Majikthise

I just saw Narnia this afternoon with my daughter. It was a very good movie overall.
Great acting (many times young actors like these can drop the ball ,but these four were excellent.)and effects, good story, definitely worth seeing. The story seemed just a little shallow but I'm sure the book probably fills all this out.
Some emotional seens in the movie for me were the bombing raid at the very begining and Aslan being led to the altar.
I'd see it again for sure.:clap

Oh yeah, the sound system in the theater was also screwed up, which tainted the experience a little.

M

Majikthise

Majikthise said:
I just saw Narnia this afternoon with my daughter. It was a very good movie overall.
Great acting (many times young actors like these can drop the ball ,but these four were excellent.)and effects, good story, definitely worth seeing. The story seemed just a little shallow but I'm sure the book probably fills all this out.
Some emotional seens in the movie for me were the bombing raid at the very begining and Aslan being led to the altar.
I'd see it again for sure.:clap

Oh yeah, the sound system in the theater was also screwed up, which tainted the experience a little.
I know how to spell "scenes" , I was just testing you .... Really!

Crap.:eek:

Smoke

Done here.
michel said:
At the same time, though, they also had serious disagreements — in particular, over the quality of Lewis’ Narnia books.
I have to agree with Tolkien. Lewis is vastly overrated both as a theologian and as an author of fiction. What's worse is that the best fiction story he wrote, Till We Have Faces, is probably the most neglected. I can't help but think that if Hollywood wanted to dramatize some children's books by an Anglican author, they would have done better to choose Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series. Of course with Lewis they can count on a huge Evangelical turnout, and I guess the bottom line is the bottom line.

That being said, I've read worse than Narnia. I expect to see the movie eventually, and I expect to like it.