• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronicles of Narnia

DreamChild

If you have seen the film tell me your thoughts on it? The reason I place this here is because their is an on going debate about the Theology in The Chronicles of Narnia. To me CS Lewis did add a lot of Christian Theology to The Chronicles of Narnia but The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe was not a major impact to Christianity. It was latter on in his book expecially The Last Battle that exposed many Christian morals and beliefs. The movie itself brought a lot of what I expected and did not expect. I did not expect to me so much like the book but I expected it to have hollywood features to it. I was glad the battle scene showed death but did not go into complete detail on how the creatures of Narnia was killed or harmed. It brought true essense of Lewis into the film.
Anyway there is also another debate about the letter Lewis wrote about how he does not want his books made into a film. In truthfullness if you had read the letter it states he didn't like the way the techonology was for the time but did like (or sort of liked) the Disney animated version of his work. I find that he would have changed if he lived in the modern times with all the advancements we have made. What do you think?
The Letter:
The Kilns,
Headington Quarry,
Oxford
18 Dec. 1959

Dear Sieveking
(Why do you "Dr" me? Had we not dropped the honorifics?) As things worked out, I wasn’t free to hear a single instalment of our serial [The Magician’s Nephew] except the first. What I did hear, I approved. I shd. be glad for the series to be given abroad. But I am absolutely opposed – adamant isn’t in it! – to a TV version. Anthropomorphic animals, when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare. At least, with photography. Cartoons (if only Disney did not combine so much vulgarity with his genius!) wld. be another matter. A human, pantomime, Aslan wld. be to me blasphemy.
All the best,
yours
C. S. Lewis

[Letter to BBC producer Lance Sieveking (1896-1972), who has written at the top: ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ and, after the address, the phone number “62963”.]
And yes it is real.

TheGreaterGame

Lewis's theological convictions bleed through every page of The Magicians Nephew and The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe . . . and I think its great . . . Hollywood is now forced to make good Christian entertainment . . . I can't wait till Gibson takes "The Acts" . . . now that would be something . . . imagine Robert Deniro as The Apostle Paul, and James Gandolgini as The Apostle Peter . . .

DreamChild

lol true but I think they just made it because Anderson liked the books. Of course Christians would be all over it. :)

FFH

Veteran Member
I plan on seeing this film very soon. Finally a good Christian fiction series put on film.

A

angellous_evangellous

I finally felt like I understood the story when I saw this movie.

For me, the idea of redemption (a central tenant in Christian philosophy = the children), evil (the witch = Satan), God (Santa Claus), and Christ (Aslan), the effects of sin (eternal winter), and the responsibility of humanity to rule the world permeated the entire movie.

I thought that it is also a very valuable meditation on the cost of war. The children and animals fighting for the freedom of Narnia parallels the struggle for freedom from sin and the struggle against Nazis in Lewis' time. Some battles must be fought. It is very VERY telling when Santa gives the children weapons instead of toys, and even the innocent animals have to fight against evil. War is heartbreaking because it affects us all...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I saw the movie last week, and loved it. The little fox was just too cute! The only religious theme I noticed at all was when Aslan talked about something greater than them determining right and wrong, which could well fit into many religions.

Faint

I watched "Cronicles" last week. I think the film was better than the book actually, which isn't really saying much since the book was rather plain. Didn't C.S. write the story prior to his conversion to Christianity? I get the "sons of Adam/daughters of eve" bit as being Christian influenced, but I find it hard to see much else besides this. For the most part, I would say it was a pagan story/movie; "deep magic", entrance to a sort of faeryland, talking animals, glory and honor in battle, old mythological creatures running around everywhere--these do not seem like Christian concepts, or even approved by that religion.

On the whole though--great special effects, stupid witch costume, cool phoenix arrow, bad voice casting for Aslan and Maugrim, good job by the screenwriters in adding more substance to the original story; but C.S. will never compare with Tolkien.

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:
I watched "Cronicles" last week. I think the film was better than the book actually, which isn't really saying much since the book was rather plain. Didn't C.S. write the story prior to his conversion to Christianity? I get the "sons of Adam/daughters of eve" bit as being Christian influenced, but I find it hard to see much else besides this. For the most part, I would say it was a pagan story/movie; "deep magic", entrance to a sort of faeryland, talking animals, glory and honor in battle, old mythological creatures running around everywhere--these do not seem like Christian concepts, or even approved by that religion.

On the whole though--great special effects, stupid witch costume, cool phoenix arrow, bad voice casting for Aslan and Maugrim, good job by the screenwriters in adding more substance to the original story; but C.S. will never compare with Tolkien.
The two writers are quite different. Lewis actually intended for his works to be careful reflections of the Christian faith, and Tolkien didn't.

EDIT: I should also add that it is significant that the children lived an entire lifetime in Narnia, but no time actually passed in the real world. War makes children grow up way to fast - too many children life an entire lifetime hiding in the real world from real wars.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
angellous_evangellous said:
The two writers are quite different. Lewis actually intended for his works to be careful reflections of the Christian faith, and Tolkien didn't.
Actually, he didn't. :D As he wrote in Of Other Worlds:

"Some people seem to think that I began by asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children; then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument, then collected information about child psychology and decided what age group I'd write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out 'allegories' to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn't write in that way. It all began with images; a faun carrying an umbrella, a queen on a sledge, a magnificent lion. At first there wasn't anything Christian about them; that element pushed itself in of its own accord."

A

angellous_evangellous

Jensa said:
Actually, he didn't. :D As he wrote in Of Other Worlds:

"Some people seem to think that I began by asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children; then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument, then collected information about child psychology and decided what age group I'd write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out 'allegories' to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn't write in that way. It all began with images; a faun carrying an umbrella, a queen on a sledge, a magnificent lion. At first there wasn't anything Christian about them; that element pushed itself in of its own accord."
Thanks. At first there was nothing Christian about them, but later the element was certainly there...

Lewis was a theologian in a way that Tolkien never was, being the author of Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and Paradise Regained.

Faint

Thanks. At first there was nothing Christian about them, but later the element was certainly there...
I read your first post on this thread regarding this element (For me, the idea of redemption (a central tenant in Christian philosophy = the children), evil (the witch = Satan), God (Santa Claus), and Christ (Aslan), the effects of sin (eternal winter), and the responsibility of humanity to rule the world permeated the entire movie.) . Are these your own assumptions, or are these relations to Christianity admitted by C.S. Lewis himself? In other words, what is your source that he consciously wrote the story with these things in mind?

Lewis was a theologian in a way that Tolkien never was, being the author of Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and Paradise Regained.
I heard he was an atheist before his conversion? Does anyone know if this is true, and whether he wrote The Lion, The Witch... before or after becoming a Christian?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If my addled memory serves correct I thought Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends. I am certain of it, in fact. That being said, it certainly stands as high praise for Lewis and his style.

I have not seen Chronicles yet, but it is on my list of things to do.

Faint

YmirGF said:
If my addled memory serves correct I thought Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends. I am certain of it, in fact.
No that's true. Also Oxford colleagues.

Incidently, I found the answer to one of my own questions: C.S. converted Christianity in 1929. The book was written in 1950. In case anyone cares.

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:
I read your first post on this thread regarding this element (For me, the idea of redemption (a central tenant in Christian philosophy = the children), evil (the witch = Satan), God (Santa Claus), and Christ (Aslan), the effects of sin (eternal winter), and the responsibility of humanity to rule the world permeated the entire movie.) . Are these your own assumptions, or are these relations to Christianity admitted by C.S. Lewis himself? In other words, what is your source that he consciously wrote the story with these things in mind?

I heard he was an atheist before his conversion? Does anyone know if this is true, and whether he wrote The Lion, The Witch... before or after becoming a Christian?
They are not assumptions because I can present a model of Christian redemption (along with God, Christ, evil, sin, and the responsibilities of humanity) from the Bible and Christian traditions, particularly Lewis' Anglican heritage, and analyze Lewis' work and find that it fits the model. Lewis said it in the book, and he is an outspoken Christian theologian, so there is no reason for us to need him to admit it himself.

SoyLeche

meh...
Faint said:
No that's true. Also Oxford colleagues.

Incidently, I found the answer to one of my own questions: C.S. converted Christianity in 1929. The book was written in 1950. In case anyone cares.
Tolkien apparently had a lot to do with Lewis' conversion.

When I first read the book as a kid I didn't see much Christian Symbolism, but I think I would see it now. I mean, Aslan sacrificed himself and then was ressurected. How much more Christian can you get?

Faint

They are not assumptions because I can present a model of Christian redemption (along with God, Christ, evil, sin, and the responsibilities of humanity) from the Bible and Christian traditions, particularly Lewis' Anglican heritage, and analyze Lewis' work and find that it fits the model. Lewis said it in the book, and he is an outspoken Christian theologian, so there is no reason for us to need him to admit it himself.
I think there is need to get this straight from the horse's mouth, otherwise it is open to interpretation.

SoyLeche said:
Tolkien apparently had a lot to do with Lewis' conversion.
I read this too. And G.K. Chesterton also helped apparently.
SoyLeche said:
When I first read the book as a kid I didn't see much Christian Symbolism, but I think I would see it now. I mean, Aslan sacrificed himself and then was ressurected. How much more Christian can you get?
Well, I think the story of Osiris predates Christianity. Or, perhaps Aslan is a metaphor for the phoenix (which also predates Christianity) rising from the ashes? Things can be interpreted differently, you see, by people who don't wear Jesus tinted glasses. That's why I was wondering if the author ever clarified this.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
SoyLeche said:
I mean, Aslan sacrificed himself and then was ressurected. How much more Christian can you get?
Then went and slaughtered his enemies... yep, that sounds like Jesus. ;) I still say that's more Norse than Christian.

SoyLeche

meh...
Faint said:
I think there is need to get this straight from the horse's mouth, otherwise it is open to interpretation.

I read this too. And G.K. Chesterton also helped apparently.
Well, I think the story of Osiris predates Christianity. Or, perhaps Aslan is a metaphor for the phoenix (which also predates Christianity) rising from the ashes? Things can be interpreted differently, you see, by people who don't wear Jesus tinted glasses. That's why I was wondering if the author ever clarified this.
If there ever was anyone who wrote with "Jesus tinted glasses" - C.S. Lewis was him.

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:
But he wrote it in the book. Sheesh. Even if he openly says something to the effect of "I wrote it with the intent of X" then we compare the writing to X and see if he actually did it. It's not the claim that's important - we can still evaluate the substance of his work and draw valid conclusions that are not baseless assumptions.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I saw the movie Monday night and it was just awesome. I'm not even going to get into the debate over Christianity involved in the movie. I'd like to take it as just a wonderful, imaginitive movie based on a wonderful, imaginitive book. I love magic and mythological creatures and this movie was just full of them. I think it is possible that it may just be the beginning of the next "Harry Potter" movie craze. Granted all the books have already been written, unlike anxiously awaiting the next Potter book, but I can see if they continue with the movies with the series of Narnia books that it will be very big.