• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John1.12

Free gift
If you don’t have a name, you can’t establish either eyewitness or apostolic provenance.
They were mending nets , some of them , Another a tax collecter. There's even this shady character that kinda turns out to be a bit two faced in the end. I forget his name now . Begins with J i think ?

John1.12

Free gift
Why a fisherman? We’re trying to establish eyewitness or apostolic provenance. There is no evidence to assume such.
None of the authors claim any such claims about themselves . Luke a doctor, does that count? Although some boffins do credit luke as being quite the historian.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
They were mending nets , some of them , Another a tax collecter. There's even this shady character that kinda turns out to be a bit two faced in the end. I forget his name now . Begins with J i think ?
And what has this to do with who wrote anything about Jesus?

Jane.Doe

There is this book called the bible ,it mentions things about God . It claims to be from God . Its about Jesus. Have you read it ?
Thoroughly.

Now, why do you believe that this is the word of God and not the Quran? Why do you believe something because Paul claims it but not Mohammad?

Jane.Doe

@Barry Johnson ,

For me, I am a Christian. Christ is the most important, ultimate test of Truth, and my Lord.

I cannot ethically just believe what any man/woman says because they said it. Or wrote a text about it. For me, that would make me a disciple of that human, not God. And me in dire need of mega repentance. The ultimate source of truth is not “____ said it so it must be true.” That goes for Joseph Smith, Mohammad, Paul, and everyone else.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That sounds like its your axiom.
That is because I constantly run false claims of "assumption" by some Christians. When you accuse others of making an assumption you are making a claim about that person. That means you take on a burden of proof. Instead of making a claim that you probably cannot justify it is wiser to ask why people think the way that they do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So we only have Paul's name in the entire bible? No other name is mentioned as the one writing...at all ? Just Paul ? No clues at all of any other named author..like not even one ?
Paul was not an eyewitness either. The Gospels were all written at least a generation after Jesus's death. Scholars are very sure that some of the Pauline epistles were written by Paul, some they are unsure of, and some they are very sure were not written by him. II Peter was almost certainly not written by Peter and today there are doubts that he wrote I Peter.

There may be an eyewitness book in the New Testament, but I cannot think of any.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Speaking for myself: if I was the person whom relied on external archeologists or scienctists for faith, I would toss all Abrahamic faiths out the air lock based on Genesis alone.
Except that Genesis shares literary continuity with other ancient literature.

Riders

I don't rely on scientific evidence for faith. I was just curious if anyone had come up with anything positive about the origin of THe Book Of Mormon.

Jane.Doe

I don't rely on scientific evidence for faith. I was just curious if anyone had come up with anything positive about the origin of THe Book Of Mormon.
There’s speculative guesses about it. Honestly it’s not a topic that interests me at all, so I don’t remember too many of the current theories.