• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, please give me some proof/evidence that Christianity is true.

blackout

Violet.
I'm pretty sure though that he's talking about proof of christianity,
and not proof of god.

They are not the same thing.

DavyCrocket2003

What about the testimony of others?

"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—
"That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God."

Joseph Smith and Sydney Rigdon

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
He has not asked you to question him. He has asked you answer his question. It is a simple request.
The best answer isn't always a statement. Sometimes it's better to ask a question that allows the first person to think and come to his/her own conclusion.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well why not try and explain that evidence to me?

And I was not calling you an idiot. At least I thought I wasn't. The people I was calling idiots are those who say they believe in something, when they have absolutely no evidence. I'm talking about the people who do not question their faith, who deny facts and who dont even look for evidence. I'm pretty sure it was you that said in another thread that you would not believe without sufficient evidence. So maybe you do have evidence. Like I said, please try to explain it to me. And sorry if I offend you, but in my opinion, if someone will think that something actually exists, without having any evidence/proof, then they are a complete and utter idiot.

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. I was trying to lighten things up.

The truth is, I don't argue or debate about whether God exists to any nonbeliever. I don't really know how. I used to be an agnostic until I was 17 years old, so you'd think I would know how. I also don't tell other faiths that they are wrong because I do not know if they are wrong. I wrote in another post a couple of weeks ago that the world used to be a "bigger" place since there was none of the modern technology that gets us to places faster and faster. I mean I can talk to someone on the other side of the world but 2,000 years ago there is no way I could have. Knowing that, I can reason that if God sent prophets to people at people at one, and another to a much farther away place. It would be strange for God to only talk to a small percentage of the world. But I am not sure of anything at all.

I believe in certain aspects of Evolution. I enjoy studying science and one of my favorite classes was Physical Anthropology. :)

HoldemDB9

I'm pretty sure though that he's talking about proof of christianity,
and not proof of god.

They are not the same thing.

Finally, someone gets it. I would never try to talk about weather or not god exists. I dont think we will ever find the answer to that. Im talking about a "certain" god. This has always been my view on religion - There are hundreds of them and they are all equal in evidence. So it is impossible for me to give more credit to one of them. I have to have evidence to believe in something.

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. I was trying to lighten things up.

The truth is, I don't argue or debate about whether God exists to any nonbeliever. I don't really know how. I used to be an agnostic until I was 17 years old, so you'd think I would know how. I also don't tell other faiths that they are wrong because I do not know if they are wrong. I wrote in another post a couple of weeks ago that the world used to be a "bigger" place since there was none of the modern technology that gets us to places faster and faster. I mean I can talk to someone on the other side of the world but 2,000 years ago there is no way I could have. Knowing that, I can reason that if God sent prophets to people at people at one, and another to a much farther away place. It would be strange for God to only talk to a small percentage of the world. But I am not sure of anything at all.

I believe in certain aspects of Evolution. I enjoy studying science and one of my favorite classes was Physical Anthropology. :)

I wish every Christian was like you. If they were, the world would be a much better place.

Surya Deva

Really? That is your proof?

Name me one major denomination of Christianity that espouses a flat earth

My argument was: If the bible is the infallible word of god, then the bible saying the earth is flat proves that it is fallible. So either it is the fallible word of god or not the word of god. Take your pick :)

Dunemeister

My argument was: If the bible is the infallible word of god, then the bible saying the earth is flat proves that it is fallible. So either it is the fallible word of god or not the word of god. Take your pick :)

It's not infallible. It's authoritative.

My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad!

Yes, proving that Christianity is true is totally different than just proving theism. So for this post, let’s assume that there really is a God and that He/She/It has revealed the true religion. However, the second I do this, I’ll end up picking a fight with every other religion here. So here goes nothing…

When it comes to proving Christianity is true, I would start with the Resurrection or the prophecies which Christ fulfilled. Without the Resurrection of Christ, there is no Christianity. The prophecies in the OT form a fingerprint by which we can recognize the Christ. Now we can get into all that here on this thread if you like, or you can read these authors: Josh McDowell, The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict, and Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ. Along with Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, all these men were atheists who came to faith.

But for now I’ll try and make this case: Christianity is the best religion, therefore the true religion. Yes, I know that sounds stupid, like something you’d hear on the playground, but bear with me.

By “best,” I mean the best, actually, not the best according to opinion poles. “Best” in the sense that a beard trimmer of some sort is the best thing to use when shaving, instead of a butter knife, or a chainsaw.

Now consider this: could it be possible for a creation to imagine anything better than its creator? Even the atheists in this forum seem to have an idea of what God ought to be like if there is one. They have said things to the effect that he ought to be totally perfect, the embodiment of everything good, and so they reject YHWH of the Bible because they say that that God does not measure up. I disagree of course, but that’s a different thread… or maybe the next post.

Allah, Brahman, Krishna, Zues, Gaia, JW-God, LDS-God, (the list goes on), all lay claim to being my creator in one way or another, or at least worth my devotion. But if I can imagine something better than them, then none of them could be my creator, and therefore the religions they offer cannot be true.

I would sum up their religions like this: do X, Y and Z, steer clear of this or that while climbing the ladder, at the top of which you will find (insert: heaven, moksha, virgins, anywhere but hell, you name it). But I know of something better, and you probably know where I’m going with this.

Here is a paraphrase of a true story from Blue Like Jazz, by Don Miller (in fact, you may want to read his stuff before you read the other three). A Navy SEAL team stormed into a terrorist compound to free some hostages. They found them hiding in a room huddled on the ground and terrified. From the doorway the SEALs called out to them and said that they were Americans and they were there to rescue them. But the hostages wouldn’t budge. They’d likely been tortured and living in fear for months and thought that this must be another cruel trick of the terrorists. Then one of the SEALs put down his weapon, took off his helmet, and kneeled down with the hostages, side by side, putting his arms around them, as if he were one of them. He spoke softly to them, and one by one they got up and followed him.
YHWH did the same sort of thing for all of us, but even more so. He didn’t just give us a 12 step, self-help book about escaping concentration camps, He actually became one of us. Then He did more than just teach us the right way, but even though He rightly condemns us, our judge walked the green mile and died in our place because we are not like the hostages in the story, we are more like the terrorists. YHWH had no obligation to do so, but he did anyway because his name is Love.

And when he has saved us and sets us on the right path, he continues to walk with us as a guide. More than that, the moment we trust Him, He binds His very essence to ours becoming the source of our strength, and the two become one. And after we die (or perhaps sooner if the Rapture occurs) He promises to finish the job He began of making us holy, just like He is, by totally renewing us so that we will finally know Him and see Him as He is.

What other God from any other religion can even hold a candle to that? What other religion has a Jesus quite like that?

I think all the other religions amount to nothing more than a pile of butter knives and chainsaws. The butter knife religions tell you that there isn’t much wrong with you and offers plenty of warm, self-indulgent fuzzies. The chainsaw religions tell you that there is a whole lot wrong with you and that God X needs to be appeased by following the rules or else.

Can you imagine something better than Christianity? Or even if it turned out that the best religion was not in fact the true religion, can you think of one more worthwhile?

Surya Deva

Allah, Brahman, Krishna, Zues, Gaia, JW-God, LDS-God, (the list goes on), all lay claim to being my creator in one way or another, or at least worth my devotion. But if I can imagine something better than them, then none of them could be my creator, and therefore the religions they offer cannot be true.

This only proves that you can imagine, it does not prove what you imagine is right :)

would sum up their religions like this: do X, Y and Z, steer clear of this or that while climbing the ladder, at the top of which you will find (insert: heaven, moksha, virgins, anywhere but hell, you name it). But I know of something better, and you probably know where I’m going with this.

There is nothing beyond Moksha and it not at all comparable to heaven, virgins. It is a state where one rejoins that that supreme being, who is infinite bliss and infinite love. Can you imagine something more than infinite bliss and love?

Can you imagine something better than Christianity? Or even if it turned out that the best religion was not in fact the true religion, can you think of one more worthwhile?

Yes. If the best religion(Christianity right?) turned out to be false, then it wasn't worthwhile. It simply gave you a temporal security, which no matter how long it lasted, was never the truth and when it left you, you were unprepared to face the truth :)
I know this word 'the truth' is bandied about by all religions, but not all of them can be true, one of them is going to be true. Accept the true one and realise the truth, and if that brings you moksha, you made the right choice ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This only proves that you can imagine, it does not prove what you imagine is right :)

The point is that I shouldn't be able to imagine something better than my creator. If I do, then the one who claims to be my creator can't possibly be my creator.

do you agree or disagree with that?

There is nothing beyond Moksha and it not at all comparable to heaven, virgins. It is a state where one rejoins that that supreme being, who is infinite bliss and infinite love. Can you imagine something more than infinite bliss and love?

Comparing the Christian Heaven with Moksha is secondary here. What is primary is the means by which either is attained. YHWH excercised total self-sacrifice to the point of death, becoming one of us in order to secure a future in Heaven for us, which we had no hope of attaining by oursleves. We need only approach Him and reconcile with Him to be allowed into it.

I find that to be far "better" than religion like hinduism which would have me going through a certain process inorder to attain Moksha by my own effort. Such a philoshy tries to tell me I am good when I know I am not. So my accomplishments would become a false hope.

And, no i cannot imagine anything better than infinite/eternal bliss and love. Are you implying that the Christian heaven doesnot have these things? In fact, it has that and more! Even though I will be one with God, I will still be myself, not absorbed into him, but reflecting Him, being able to relate to him and others on a face to face basis.

We will all be many, yet one. Whereas with Moksha, (as far as I understand) all rivers (selves) will flow into the ocean (Brahman) and become indistiguishable.

[my understanding of hinduism is basic at best, so you may need to correct me on some of these points]

If you point to hell as a reason why the Hindu future is brighter than the Christian, then I would say that hell is the means by which holiness, heaven or a relationship with God is not forced on anybody. But with Moksha, everyone, someday, must confirm to it.

Yes. If the best religion(Christianity right?) turned out to be false, then it wasn't worthwhile. It simply gave you a temporal security, which no matter how long it lasted, was never the truth and when it left you, you were unprepared to face the truth :)

I agree, that is why my argument is that Christianity is the most worthwhile religion, and therefore true. Yes, if it turned out to be false, then it was never worthwhile at all.

I know this word 'the truth' is bandied about by all religions, but not all of them can be true, one of them is going to be true. Accept the true one and realise the truth, and if that brings you moksha, you made the right choice ;)

Can we determine which one is true by which one is best? I think so, because if only one is true then all others are false and inherently inferior.

Again, this is not about opinions, but "best" actually.

Surya Deva

The point is that I shouldn't be able to imagine something better than my creator. If I do, then the one who claims to be my creator can't possibly be my creator.
do you agree or disagree with that?

I disagree with this. I can imagine more than a creator. When you say just creator, this creator could be just another human, a robot, a machine, a secondary effect of the universe.

As soon as I imagine a creator, I imagine creation, I imagine something that did not exist before. I imagine a creator being subordinate and secondary to a vast universe. As this creator had to use some preexisting substance to create and it had to subsist within something and also be bound by some logic. I also imagine an imperfect and unwhole god which feels the need to create something more than it, but if it was whole and perfect, there is nothing more than whole and perfect. This god cannot have infinite knowledge if doesn't know how its creation will fare, and if it does, there is no need to create something which you already know the outcome of.

Your Christian god faces all these problems and more. I cannot accept such a figure as my god, especially one that is at war with his own creation, that allows evil and suffering, that condemns most of humanity, is injust and sends his own son to be brutally killed. I cannot honour such a god.

I can imagine something much better and much more than this: perfection, infinity, love, unity, purity, existence, being, knowledge etc Indeed these are the highest things I can conceive, I cannot conceive anything beyond these. I thus only accept those as my god.
This is a god which is truly transcendent, above and beyond human imagination, a true thing for every human to aspire to. Nobody can deny it's existence. Nobody can criticise it. Nobody can touch it with reason and make it an object of their sense. It is the true beyond, the only thing worthy of worship.

Comparing the Christian Heaven with Moksha is secondary here. What is primary is the means by which either is attained. YHWH excercised total self-sacrifice to the point of death, becoming one of us in order to secure a future in Heaven for us, which we had no hope of attaining by oursleves. We need only approach Him and reconcile with Him to be allowed into it.
I find that to be far "better" than religion like hinduism which would have me going through a certain process inorder to attain Moksha by my own effort. Such a philoshy tries to tell me I am good when I know I am not. So my accomplishments would become a false hope.

You are claming that simply accepting Jesus is enough, that we don't have to go through any process. Then why Jesus in particular, there have been countless people in history who have self-sacrificed for their beliefs. There are people who die for others, die for their beliefs, die for their country. So why should I choose only Jesus? Secondly, why would accepting anyone make you go to heaven.

What happened to people before Jesus? What happend to people who never knew Jesus. What was their purpose in life? If ones purpose in life is simply to accept some person then why create this vast universe with its diversity? Why create a billions of years old planets, even older suns on which humans exist for a fraction of its existence. Why give us desires, senses, mind, intelligence, pleasures?

You will not be able to answer this because your purpose of life is irrational. It fails to account for the vast phenomenon of life, its diversities and the world. It tries to define the purpose of a vast universe in one single time-period, in a single place, within a single species, within a single race, within a single band of people which are not even worth a nanosecond in its existence. This is like defining a vast expanse of a beach in terms of a particle of sand. You are defining the infinite with the finite and that cannot be done.

Hinduism is not irrational like this. It is not a religion for any one person, any single group, any single place, any single time. It is transcedental, it accounts for all of existence. It defines ones life purpose not in terms of anything which is created, but in terms of eternal and unchanging things. If something is defined by something eternal and unchanging it can never cease to be true. It finds those eternal principles that are at work through the entire cosmos, through being itself. It bases our purpose on that beyond, infinite, perfection and being, not on something lower than it.

This means Hindus accept all diversity in the universe. Indeed, one has no choice but to accept it. It does NOT impose any of its judgements on the universe. It accepts everything as working perfectly, everything as having value, significance from the most evil of humans to a particle of dust.

Your religion doesn't. Your religion condemns everything that it cannot understand. It condemns sinners, it condemns infidels, it condemns homosexuals, it condemns heretics. You do not realise that everything within this universe is pervaded by that being alone, how then can anything be condemned, if everything is an expression of that infinite loving consciousness? By condemning his expressions, you are condemning him yourself. Recognise that.

This is a huge difference between your religion and mine. Mine doesn't condemn anything, mine accepts everybody and everything irrespective of cast, creed, sect, gender, species, substance. It accepts everything as being at its essence pure and divine. It does not breed any kind of prejudice, secetarianism, hate, discrimination. It promotes interconnectedness, pure oneness, pure universalism. There is unconditional love. Read this sentence again, feel just how pure and divine it is, your conscience knows all this is true. This is what you want yourself: unconditional love, infinite bliss and love. This is how you imagine your god.

BUT despite wanting all those things, you contradict yourself by consciously CHOOSING concepts that go against it. You accept eternal suffering for some(other souls) you discriminate against others creatures. You accept injustices and attribute it to him. You condemn and judge his creation by calling parts of his creation evil. You condemn him; you in fact condemn him. Your religion condemns him. I cannot think of a more reprehensible god than the Abrahmic god and a more false religion than the Abrahmic religions. One that promotes violence and suffering.

I encourage you to be true to yourself. If you really believe in all loving, fair, infinite and pure supreme being, then reject these religions which contradict that. If not, then I am sorry, there is no other words to describe it than hypocrisy. I have gone from being born a theist, to an atheist, to an agnostic, to a spiritualist to a Hindu because I had the courage of my convictions and integrity. I am only interested in the truth, and nothing but the truth, and will drop anything without batting an eye-lid if it is not true. I do not let my ego get in the way.

The paths that Hinduism teaches are the only paths that work. They have agreed with my reason, with my being and with my experience. They actually bring REAL changes in ones life for the better; they lead to REAL success and REAL progress. However, nobody can walk a path, without walking it! How lazy :D Do you really think just accepting some guy is going to bring you in contact with eternal love and bliss? No, you need to sacrifice, make an effort. The irony is you are telling me how great Jesus was because he sacrificed, then why don't you do the same, and become just as great?

UH OH ---- STUMBLING BLOCK --- "Me the same as Jesus, not it cannot be, Jesus is the ONLY son of god, I cannot be." It is these kind of self-defeating beliefs that prevent progress and self-development. It stunts ones growth and imprisons one. Your soul is yearning for freedom. It doesn't like these prisons. It has a yearning desire to realise the infinite. Free it! Let it fly.
Jesus was somebody who realised this and he did it. He had to go through the orderal, the efforts, the temptations, the baptism through fire to attain to him. The Buddha had to do the same and so did the countless Yogis that came before and after both of them. Why do you think you can get away with this, when your own Jesus Christ couldn't? Is your religion for the spiritually lazy? Do you seriously believe by not doing anything or do doing little, you will attain infinite bliss? Do you believe an impure entity could even sit in the same space as the supreme?

Surya Deva

There is a very fundemental law of the universe: YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PUT IN.

Like it or not, but if you want to attain to that supreme being, you are going to have to go through the same process as everybody else. You don't have special privillages - to that supreme everybody and everything is the same. The irony is Jesus told you this in the bible, "Ye are gods"

Why do I get the impression from my encounters with people from the Abrahamic faith that they are hypocrites? They praise the lord for all the good that he is, and yet when it comes to doing good themselves, they hide behind excuses? Why don't you emulate god and emulate Jesus? Is there a greater hypocrisy than to praise something, and not do it yourself?

I would not settle for any other religion than one that promotes my highest and greatest potential. I would not settle for any other religion than one that is actually practical and gives me REAL results. Claiming good thing, and showing good things is a different matter altogether. As a saying goes - put the money where the mouth is. If Christianity is true, show that it is true, don't just say it.

Surya Deva

Such a philoshy tries to tell me I am good when I know I am not. So my accomplishments would become a false hope.

It is interesting that you actually believe you are not good. A born sinner right? Pray/tell how can you persuade a modern world to join a religion that tells them they are not good, worthless, born sinners? This kind of attitude lead to the suppression and of persecution of many who believed they were good and tried to think freely.

Pray/tell again, why is it that if your religion is true that so many refuse it? It seems that it is not fulfilling them. Today, Europe, once the most Christian places in the world, has the highest number of atheists, church attendance is incredibly low, why? Why are people rejecting your religion the world over? The answer is simple my friend, it disagrees with who they are. Human freedom is indomitable. It cannot be suppressed. Like a spring, it springs back up as soon as the pressure is off.

We would not have the thought of perfection and greatness if it was not already a part of our HUMAN potential. I cannot have the thoughts of a bat, because I am not a bat. I can only have the thoughts of a HUMAN and I can think perfection. I have EVERY RIGHT to aspire to it. I will reject anything that tells me I am not worthy of it.
It goes against every particle of my being.

Thou are self sufficient,
The architect of thy own destiny
(Yajur Veda 7.3)

I can imagine more than a creator. When you say just creator, this creator could be just another human, a robot, a machine, a secondary effect of the universe.

As soon as I imagine a creator, I imagine creation, I imagine something that did not exist before. I imagine a creator being subordinate and secondary to a vast universe. As this creator had to use some preexisting substance to create and it had to subsist within something and also be bound by some logic. I also imagine an imperfect and unwhole god which feels the need to create something more than it, but if it was whole and perfect, there is nothing more than whole and perfect. This god cannot have infinite knowledge if doesn't know how its creation will fare, and if it does, there is no need to create something which you already know the outcome of.

When I say "creator" i am really saying the opposite of what you seem to think I mean. My creator is truly the source of all these things, the whole universe, and so He did not need any pre-existing material. He only spoke things into existence.

Since when does someone need to be imperfect to to require a relationship of any kind? The idea that God decided to create humans in order to relate to them does not in any way make Him "un-whole!" What if He, being whole and perfect, wanted to lavish all that is himself one another self? Don't we call that love, in the purest and highest sense? Is that not the kind of love that seeks only the other's benefit? We are too familiar with the lesser, distorted love that does need another self to feel complete, as if it were tapping into the other as a resource.

And since when does knowing the end from the beginning negate a reason for doing something? I suppose I wouldn't do something if I knew it would turn out badly (or at least we know we shouldn't do those sorts of things, but we do anyway). But I do, in my better moments, undertake things which i know will be terrible for the most part, but turn out for good in the end. If we never began things which we knew will be awful for the most part, we would never have children. I think we were given this tendencey by God who created us knowing we would rebel, but who also planned to redeem us and adopt us.

...I cannot accept such a figure as my god, especially one that is at war with his own creation, that allows evil and suffering, that condemns most of humanity, is injust and sends his own son to be brutally killed. I cannot honour such a god.

Yes He is at war with us, because we are the rebels without a true cause. He is at war with us because He is all that is Good and Holy, the source and picture of pure Love, so He opposes Evil. But He Himself would be evil, even should to be fearful and covetous of His power if He never allowed evil to existence. To do so would annihilate free-will. But I have surrendered and defected over to His side. This is a God i can honor.

Yet, when you condemn my Lord here, you have condemned your own idea of God even more so. Doesn't Hinduism teach, and haven't you intimated, that even evil things in the universe are an expression of Brahman--that Braham is not inherently moral. Elsewhere you called me a hypocrite for condemning evil as evil because according to you, even evil is created by God, and therefore not simply evil but part of the balance. I spoke with a Hindu once who said, "the murderer and the victim are both partners in a dance." I am not the one who honors a God who is both good and evil.

Instead, i have the freedom to look at evil and say, "that is not how God first created things."

I can imagine something much better and much more than this: perfection, infinity, love, unity, purity, existence, being, knowledge etc Indeed these are the highest things I can conceive, I cannot conceive anything beyond these. I thus only accept those as my god.
This is a god which is truly transcendent, above and beyond human imagination, a true thing for every human to aspire to. Nobody can deny it's existence. Nobody can criticise it. Nobody can touch it with reason and make it an object of their sense. It is the true beyond, the only thing worthy of worship.

The God I know (not only imagine) is the source and master of ALL these things. A conglomoration of things cannot accept your worship because it is not aware that you are worshipping at all. The God i know consideres all these things to be mere aspects of His personality, and tools at His disposal.

I will respond to the rest of your post tomorrow if I can. It is truly worth responding to, but my laptop is about to die and its 1:05AM.

I am enjoying this thread, and i hope you are too. But if this is all really upsetting you then we will stop

-inq

Napoleon

So, please provide me with some evidence which supports Christianity being true.

The case for philosophical monotheism can be made through reason (I believe Aristotle succeeded here with his Unmoved Mover argument) but which, if any, religion one chooses to adopt is the result of a personal revelation of faith. As long as you can truly justify your beliefs to yourself then nothing else really matters.

Last edited:
Think I got what I was looking for. Looks like there is no evidence.

Thanks.

Thats a stupid conclusion. There are many things that cannot be proved. If Christianity cannot be proved, does not mean it is not true. I know i cant prove Hinduism to be true, no-one can, which is why another word for religion is FAITH. It is faith that keeps religion alive.

But it seems to that the concept of faith is alien to you.