• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only - What points of doctrine can I get wrong and still make it to Heaven

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Katzpur said:
(1) God told us in the Old Testament to remember the Sabbath Day and to keep it Holy. To me, this means that one day a week is to be kept sacred. We don’t show our love for God by attending a football game on Sunday, by going to a movie or the mall, or by doing our yard work. We show our love for Him by doing such things as attending Church and studying the scriptures and doing whatever else would bring us closer to Him spiritually.
As I said before - I believe every day is sacred and holy. I believe all of the days and everything we do should be dedicated to God, but understand that other doctrines require a single day set aside for church and family... but I'm wondering.... why Sunday? Wasn't the sabbath supposed to be on the 7th day of the week? Looking around, every calendar I have shows Sunday as the first day of the week and Saturday as the seventh.... so isn't the true 'sabbath' on Saturday?

Also, what about the sabbath for the land? That was commanded as well. Are those who grow things (gardens, crops, whatever...) required to let the land rest every seventh year? If not, why not? It is a sabbath commanded by God to the children of Israel, just as the 7th day sabbath was...
Exodus 23:10 And you shall sow your land six years, and shall gather in the fruits of it.
11 But the seventh year you shall let it rest and let it alone, so that the poor of your people may eat. And what they leave, the animals of the field shall eat. In the same way you shall deal with your vineyard and with your oliveyard.

Leviticus 25:3 You shall sow your field six years, and you shall prune your vineyard six years, and gather in the fruit of it.
4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest to the land, a sabbath for Jehovah. You shall neither sow your field, nor prune your vineyard.
5 You shall not reap that which grows of its own accord of your harvest, neither gather the grapes of your undressed vine. It is a year of rest to the land.
6 And the sabbath of the land shall be food for you, for you and for your servant, and for your slave woman and for your hired servant, and for your stranger who stays with you,
7 and for your cattle, and for the beast that is in your land, shall all the increase of it be for food.
Katzpur said:
(2) God commanded us to return one-tenth of all He has given us to Him, so that His work here on earth might be able to go forward. This is the law of tithing. It was given as a commandment, not as a suggestion.
Besides the 10% tithe to the church for the Levitical/Aaronical (?) priesthood, didn't God command a couple of other tithes? Do these commanded tithes need to be adhered to as well? If not, why not?

How about the yearly increase tithe (for those that farm or ranch)?
Deuteronomy 14:22 You shall truly tithe all the increase of your seed that the field brings forth year by year.
23 And you shall eat before Jehovah your God in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the first-born of your herds and of your flocks, so that you may learn to fear Jehovah your God always.
24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry it, or if the place is too far from you, which Jehovah your God shall choose to set His name there, when Jehovah your God has blessed you,
25 then you shall turn it into silver and bind up the silver in your hand, and shall go to the place which Jehovah your God shall choose.

How about the 3-year tithe for the levites, fatherless widows and poor (not just those of your faith.... this is to feed ALL the poor who are "within your gates")?
Deuteronomy 14:28 At the end of three years you shall bring forth all the tithe of your increase the same year, and shall lay it up inside your gates.
29 And the Levite, because he has no part nor inheritance with you, and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, who are inside your gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied, so that Jehovah your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

For those who raise animals, does the 'first born of an animal' still belong to God and not to be redeemed?
Leviticus 27:26 However, the first-born of an animal, which should be Jehovah's first-born, no man shall sanctify it, whether an ox, or sheep, it is Jehovah's.
27 And if it is of an unclean animal, then he shall redeem it according to your estimation, and shall add a fifth part of it to it. Or if it is not redeemed, then it shall be sold according to your estimation.
28 However, no devoted thing that a man shall devote to Jehovah of all that he has, either of man or animal, or of the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed. Every devoted thing is most holy to Jehovah.
29 Nothing devoted, which shall be devoted of men, shall be redeemed, but shall surely be put to death.
30 And all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is Jehovah's. It is holy to Jehovah.
31 And if a man will at all redeem anything of his tithes, he shall add to it the fifth part of it.
32 And all the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, all that passes under the rod, a tenth shall be holy to Jehovah
33 He shall not search whether it is good or bad, neither shall he change it. And if he changes it at all, then both it and the change of it shall be holy. It shall not be redeemed.
Katzpur said:
(3) God established ordinances that He expects us to receive in order to be fully obedient. Some Christians refer to these as sacraments. While there are several different ones, one of the most important is baptism. I don’t believe that baptism is an optional ordinance, or one that we simply choose to participate in as an outward means of showing the world that we are committed to Jesus Christ. Not only was Jesus quite specific is stating that we must both believe and be baptized in order to attain the fulness of salvation, He was baptized himself, even though He had never sinned and was therefore not in a position of having to repent. When John questioned why He wanted to receive this ordinance, Jesus responded by saying, that He needed to be baptized “in order to fulfill all righteousness.” In other words, He was baptized in order to do everything that was expected of him. I therefore see baptism as one of the commandments we must obey "in order to fulfill all righteousness."
I agree that babtism is an important rite. But although Jesus said we should do it as a declaration to the world as a declaration of faith and to 'fulfill all righteousness,' he most certainly did not say we need to be baptized to gain salvation... the thief on the cross next to Jesus was forgiven and saved without being baptized...

As for the other 'ordinances' or 'sacraments,' I don't know which ones are 'required' by the various denominations, or even which commandments are considered 'ordinances/sacraments,' but for those listed, I agree with lunamoth about these things being gifts.

And again - are there others that are not required?
Katzpur said:
My response to anyone who says that my beliefs are “legalistic” (and I know you haven’t said this, Lunamoth), is simply that I believe it is important to obey these commandments for one reason and one reason alone: They are commandments.
Why only some of the commandments? There are something like over 600 some commandments under the Mosaic law... How do those who decide which ones need to be applied determine the applicable ones? How do they decide which ones are no longer considered important enough to be required?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
"But I want my God i a box..."

Commitment (love) to God comes in many, many flavors. I believe what Snow is saying is that in NT, God has asked us to pull down the artificial barriers we have put up to limit how much we do for God. It's easier if we can limit God to only one day a week, but the new testament shows Jesus "working" on a Saturday (the real sabbath) just to prove that love and service are the sacrifice God wants to see.

When is the Sabbath? Today; always today.
Who is my neighbor? Whoever I am in contact with.
Where is my God that I can lavish my love upon him? Whoever I am in contact with.
Where is my guide to my God? Written on my heart, where I can never lose it.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. NIV

This is the only scriptural reference to WHEN the disciples met. Also, the first day was important in that was when Jesus rose from the grave. Consequently, most Christian religious services have been conducted not on the Sabbath, but on the first day of the week. There is no commandment for Christians to keep this day holy though many, many preachers have erroneously preached this non-existent doctrine to keep the pews full.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Baerly said:
NetDoc -

Jesus reduced all the laws into just two:

Love God

Love everyone else.

If you truly keep to these you will never fail.

Baerly - I don't think Jesus REDUCED all the laws into two. I think what he said was all the others hang on these two. One does not fullfill all the other laws of the new testment by keeping ONLY two laws. I know many teach that,but I do not believe that is what the scripture says. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me. in love Baerly

What Jesus was doing here was weighing the scripture (as hanging things in the balance of a set of scales.) He was asked, "What is the greatest commandment?" If Jesus believed that all commandments were of equal worth, he would have answered, "All the commandments are equally important." But he replied, "Love God and love your neighbor." (Mat.. 22:37-79) Then he footnoted that response with "On these two hang all the Law and the prophets." (Matt. 22:40) In other words, in the balance of the scales, these two are as heavy as all the rest put together.

Paul said, "The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Gal. 5:14)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
NetDoc said:
"But I want my God i a box..."

Commitment (love) to God comes in many, many flavors. I believe what Snow is saying is that in NT, God has asked us to pull down the artificial barriers we have put up to limit how much we do for God. It's easier if we can limit God to only one day a week, but the new testament shows Jesus "working" on a Saturday (the real sabbath) just to prove that love and service are the sacrifice God wants to see.
Not *quite* what I said.... but yeah... what I've been trying to get at. I used a whole lot more words and research to try to make my points, though :eek:
NetDoc said:
When is the Sabbath? Today; always today.
Who is my neighbor? Whoever I am in contact with.
Where is my God that I can lavish my love upon him? Whoever I am in contact with.
Where is my guide to my God? Written on my heart, where I can never lose it.
YES!!! You said it again... and it took even fewer words :D