• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only - What points of doctrine can I get wrong and still make it to Heaven

Squirt

What, specifically, must I believe about Jesus Christ in order to go to Heaven someday? What, specifically, may I not believe about Jesus Christ if I'm to go there?

PHOTOTAKER

as long as you don't rebile aginst god, you will recieve a glory to what you deserve. if you have no testamony in jesus christ you will be the glory of the stars, but as long as you don't rebil agenst the creator (this would be if moses went agienst god after seeing him face to face to save the chosen people and didn't do as he was commanded) so its not what you get wrong its how your testamony is in jesus christ...

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
You can get am all wrong and still make it. :)
The next would obviously be "then what's the point?"

Squirt

So I can believe He was physically distinct from His Father, but that He was still God himself? Wouldn't that make me polytheistic?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Squirt said:
What, specifically, must I believe about Jesus Christ in order to go to Heaven someday? What, specifically, may I not believe about Jesus Christ if I'm to go there?
I don't know. Personally I feel that having to believe anything is a work. The Bible says we can't earn/work our way to heaven. I leave my eternal destination in God's hands and his grace.

Squirt

Mister_T said:
Personally I feel that having to believe anything is a work. The Bible says we can't earn/work our way to heaven.
Good point. We're supposed to believe, but belief is a work (I agree with you on that) and works don't cut it. Maybe none of us are going to heaven! ;)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Squirt said:

You must believe that Christ is the ONLY way to salvation...the ONLY way to be reconciled with God. (John 3:16)

What may you not believe? Quite a complex question that I don't really have an answer to other than...if one does not accept John 3:16 to be truth...they've missed God's message and intent for our salvation.

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
You must believe that Christ is the ONLY way to salvation...the ONLY way to be reconciled with God. (John 3:16)
Well I certainly do believe that! :162:

What may you not believe? Quite a complex question that I don't really have an answer to other than...if one does not accept John 3:16 to be truth...they've missed God's message and intent for our salvation.
I agree but, as you know, I believe that God has provided a means by which all will hear the message before it's too late. Will believing that keep me out of Heaven?

PHOTOTAKER

being restricted beings is allot to get to be in the presents of god is a hole topic in itself. but just to get into hev'n you transpire to the telestial body which is like the the glory of the stars, these people have no knowledge or did not believe in Jesus Christ. the second is the body of terrestrial which its glory is as the moon, which you have a knowledge of Christ but did not have a testimony of the sprit. the third body is the celestial which is as the glory of the sun, for this you need a spiritual knowledge and other ordinances. I also believe that god will not put you in a glory that you do not want if you deserve a higher one, say you were sent to the terrestrial glory but all the people you know and care about are in the telestial glory then I believe you will have the choice to stay in the lower glory.

1corinthians 15:38-41 the part that is left out is in 41, this scripture shows three glories but the verse before only shows two, evidence that the bible is not the full and show the distortion of man. Further explanation can be found in D&C 76

so to answer your question the judgment of god will determine where you will go, but the atonement of Christ pays for our mistake so judgment will true and all debts paid by and thus appeasing mercy, this is why the atonement of Christ is so important. being restricted is a gift from god that all will receive freely, the glory of where we go is up to us as individuals the more we find the sprit of god (holy ghost) the more we become like unto the sprit of Christ and our glory is raised. If we don’t do as where commanded then our glory will be lower. Simple and easy as that.

Scott1

Squirt said:
Only God knows who goes to heaven.... but Catholics believe that those people who "seek God sincerely and strive to fulfill his will, can be saved" *.

* Dogmatic Constitution of the Church Lumen Gentium #16
(Second Vatican Council 1965)

Peace,
Scott

Adstar

Some scriptures for you to agree with or disagree with:

Romans 10
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

John 14
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend[a] it.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’”
16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son,[f] who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Squirt

Adstar said:
Some scriptures for you to agree with or disagree with:

Romans 10
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

John 14
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend[a] it.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’”
16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son,[f] who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
I agree with all of those scriptures.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I agree but, as you know, I believe that God has provided a means by which all will hear the message before it's too late. Will believing that keep me out of Heaven?

If you've accepted Christ as your Personal Saviour and are living your life for Him (which I have a hunch you are:))...then no, believing that isn't going to keep you from Heaven.

A

angellous_evangellous

Squirt said:

This is an odd question.

We have various holy books and interpretative writings from various established churches that define the terms that you have in the OP: believe, Jesus Christ, and Heaven.

The New Testament defines heaven as afterlife with God, and to "go" "there" you confess that Jesus is the Christ.

Church tradition clarifies the definitions of the words, telling us who Jesus Christ is and what it means to confess that he is the Christ. According to church tradition, it means to confess that Jesus Christ is the One and Only God.

Mormon tradition, on the other hand, defines Jesus Christ differently and promises a different heaven.
====

IMO, I don't know where God's grace ends. It is completely impossible for us to understand God on our own, and it is hoplessly impossible for us to understand completely who God is. So we will always have misunderstandings about God, and I don't see how a small misunderstanding differs from a large one, because even the person who knows the most about God only has a small understanding of who God is.

As many have pointed out, if we were saved because of what we know about God, we would earn our salvation. I definately believe that the only fair way for God to judge people is by their works, and save who He chooses through Jesus Christ no matter what they believe. It just doesn't make sense that people are saved only by confession.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Denial of diety. That's it.

In my opinion you have to know God, or believe with absolute certainty that He exists and then turn your back on Him.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Squirt said:

You're treating heaven like a prize to be won, instead of a gift that has been given to you.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
sojourner said:
You're treating heaven like a prize to be won, instead of a gift that has been given to you.

That's quite a good point you make. Personally, I believe we will all be 'in heaven' (heaven being 'at one with God') 'in the fulness of time. It may takre some of us longer to get there......................

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Scott1 said:
Only God knows who goes to heaven.... but Catholics believe that those people who "seek God sincerely and strive to fulfill his will, can be saved" *.

* Dogmatic Constitution of the Church Lumen Gentium #16
(Second Vatican Council 1965)

Peace,
Scott

Thanks Scott....:)