• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians. . . Gays & Gay marriage vs Bible

Hi Guys

theres been a fair bit of media coverage lately
my opinion, how can it be even remotely christian to give blessing to this sin?

your thoughts please

Rich.

but not being content with being blessed they want a full marriage with the church'es blessing although the catholic church sold out to them a while ago. i think its been pushed to further discredit the church and more importantly the bible.

Rich

is it not????

Leviticus 18:22

English Standard Version (ESV)

22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

or

Ephesians
5:3 But 5 among you there must not be either sexual immorality, impurity of any kind, 6 or greed, as these are not fitting for the saints.

there are many many more

Rich

Bob Dixon

>implying
is it not????

I didn't know we were all Israelites, all of a sudden.
Am I correct in thinking that you don't eat pork or shrimp, either?
And all your clothes are completely 100% pure, with no mixing of materials?

I didn't know we were all Israelites, all of a sudden.
Am I correct in thinking that you don't eat pork or shrimp, either?
And all your clothes are completely 100% pure, with no mixing of materials?

pork is too fatty and dont like shrimp
just checked my clothing and my t shirt is 100% cotton, my underwear and my socks are 100% cotton and my track pants are cotton but not sure if theyre 100% cotton (bobby you may have me on the track pants)

Rich.

Me Myself

Back to my username
is it not????

or

Ephesians
5:3 But 5 among you there must not be either sexual immorality, impurity of any kind, 6 or greed, as these are not fitting for the saints.

there are many many more

Rich

If you are going to quote leviticus it would be good for you to know that it is admisible to sell your daugther as a slave if you ever feel short of cash and that it would be horrible of you to eat any kind of meat that still has blood in eat or eat slefish.

About ephesians, Paul was pro slavery too. I am simply not trusting his judgement of what is correct and what is not.

Romans
That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved

how can you say it isnt a sin?
do you believe that we were made so man should go with and woman with woman?

please show me places in the bible that state that god wants us to do these things?

Rich.

Rocky S

Christian Goth
Hi Guys

theres been a fair bit of media coverage lately
my opinion, how can it be even remotely christian to give blessing to this sin?

your thoughts please

Rich.
I agree it is a sin the bible is very clear about that. A lot of churches are condoning what the bible teaches as sin. Mainly because of namby pamby spineless pantywaist preachers that teach social justice and political correctness instead of the bible. Way to go Joel Osteen and Rick Warren, sorry about that,that was the bad rocky coming out lol. But you are going to open up a can of worms with this one.

you are going to open up a can of worms with this one.
hi Rocky
i agree, but ofcourse everyone has their opinion i just cant see anyway that it can be right to do. its just a desire of the flesh.

1 Timothy 1:8-10
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine.

gerobbins

What's your point?
As a Christian, it is not my right to tell someone or give an opinion to someone who they want to marry. As long as they are not causing harm to others, then it is none of our business.

And how does a gay couple wanting to marry affect our lives? It doesn't and it is not for us to say.

We don't have the right to tell someone they are not allowed to marry someone the love, it is their right.

Last edited:
As a Christian, it is not my right to tell someone or give an opinion to someone who they want to marry. As long as they are not causing harm to others, then it is none of our business.

And how does a gay couple wanting to marry affect our lives? It doesn't and it is not for us to say.

We don't have the right to tell someone they are not allowed to marry someone the love, it is their right.

a very valid point and i have done some more research and more thought, you are correct with this regarding most sins which i suppose this is one of those grey areas but i suppose it also depends how serious we regard the sin.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Romans
That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved

Did you read the entire chapter of Romans 1?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Romans

how can you say it isnt a sin?
do you believe that we were made so man should go with and woman with woman?

please show me places in the bible that state that god wants us to do these things?

Rich.
Show me places in the bible that state that God wants us to use TV and radio to spread the gospel.

I can say it isn't a sin because we know more now about the human psyche than the biblical authors did. The DSM IV does not list homosexuality as abnormal. the biblical writers didn't have any concept for sexual orientation. So there was no such thing as homosexuality. All homoerotic acts were seen as unnatural and, therefore, an "abomination."

Also, with regard to the OT, ancient Near East cultures embodied shame an honor in the sexes. Men embodied honor, women embodied shame. Therefore, for a man to "bend over and take it like a woman" represented a shameful act -- to act like a woman.

There are simply scientific and cultural variables in play here that render the readings difficult to interpret at face value.

Fact: There's nothing inherently wrong with homosexuality.
Fact: When we deny marriage to those who identify as such, we are participating in the same sort of systematic dehumanization that was perpetrated upon the black slaves in America and upon the Jews in the Holocaust.

You'll also find a lot of that dehumanizing behavior advocated in the Bible, which just goes to say that we can't always trust the Bible at face value to inculcate post-modern morality.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Also to point out concerning Romans 1, the author seems to blame homosexuality on being Pagan. Paul apparently didn't believe a Christian could be gay as he seems to associate it with Pagan worship. Shows what Paul knew doesn't it? To agree with Sojourner here- the Bible's authors were not infallible

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I agree it is a sin the bible is very clear about that. A lot of churches are condoning what the bible teaches as sin. Mainly because of namby pamby spineless pantywaist preachers that teach social justice and political correctness instead of the bible. Way to go Joel Osteen and Rick Warren, sorry about that,that was the bad rocky coming out lol. But you are going to open up a can of worms with this one.

And a lot of churches conveniently turn away from that which is also clearly defined as sin. When do churches exploit to the same degree marriage after divorce, cheating, abuse, alcoholism, egotism, arrogance, self-righteousness and a laundry list of other behaviors that are sinful in the eyes of God?

The Bible states that nothing unclean can appear before the Lord. The Bible also states that when we love, we fulfill God's law to the fullest and that WHOEVER believes in Christ does not perish.

When we live in love, we fulfill God's law to the fullest. I choose to follow Christ's example and love people. I have no reason to stand in opposition to others' pursuit of happiness, because free will is a fundamental that God gave to His children. We are all given the ability to live and to choose.

As opposed to arrogantly standing in opposition to others, I choose to embrace others in love. If I feel convicted to refrain from specific behavior, as I believe it to be sinful, per my holy book - I will do so.

However, it's wrongful for me to exploit the sin of others as I'm doing no more than casting stones, the very thing that my own God has told me not to do. It's not my place to choose the paths for others. It's my place to reflect love and light. I can't do that if I'm taking an offensive stance against the very nature of others - painting them as outcasts and substandard citizens.

For those Christians that feel justified in bringing down the GBLTQ community - if they genuinely feel justified in their actions - fine. But, I don't understand where THEY are coming from. The Jesus Christ that I worship, embraced, loved and fellowshipped. And I don't for a moment believe that his blood wasn't shed for everyone.

I am a Christian who has no problem voting in favor of equality for fellow Americans. To stand in opposition of the freedom of others, in my opinion, is SINFUL, as it's a contradiction to the type of freedom that God has given to all of us. We've been given choice and the ability to commune with Him and discuss our choices. Christians create barriers for others that in my opinion, do not exist.

Last edited:

javajo

I am having some VERY unchristian thoughts toward Fresh Believer. But I guess we must be gracious, after all, he is just a fresh believer. I hope he gets married, has a child, and when that child hits puberty, comes and tells him they're gay. See what he does with THAT. BOOM!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Dawny: Loved your post except for this:
For those Christians that feel justified in bringing down the GBLTQ community - if they genuinely feel justified in their actions - fine.
It's not fine. Playing bystander to dehumanization places one in the position of complicity with such behavior. It's never fine for anyone -- much less Christians -- to dehumanize anyone.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Dawny: Loved your post except for this:
It's not fine. Playing bystander to dehumanization places one in the position of complicity with such behavior. It's never fine for anyone -- much less Christians -- to dehumanize anyone.

I should have inserted an eyeroll, as I didn't meant to project that as a statement of agreeance.

I'm with you.

Last edited: