• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians:Condemning Vs. Teaching

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I don't think it's just personal grievances. I think it's doing things against God. I can't truly speak for Paul and Peter's situation, I spoke out of line with that one, and I wasn't the one who even brought it up: It wasn't what I was even speaking about. I am speaking of the here and now. If I were doing something wrong, for example, I don't think it would do any good for me for the elders of my Church to shout out about in front of the whole congregation. Talk to someone in private. That's all
I agree.
But what I would say is this, Peter was not just part of the congregation. There is a vast difference. Consider a pastor saying something when another pastor was there. Perhaps what he says is wrong, and the other one, in front of everyone, says he is wrong. I think that would be the right thing to do. Those who wish to be teachers will face the greater judgement. Peter was one of them. He influenced others. But to say that to one of the congregation, no.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree.
But what I would say is this, Peter was not just part of the congregation. There is a vast difference. Consider a pastor saying something when another pastor was there. Perhaps what he says is wrong, and the other one, in front of everyone, says he is wrong. I think that would be the right thing to do. Those who wish to be teachers will face the greater judgement. Peter was one of them. He influenced others. But to say that to one of the congregation, no.
As I said, I don't know anything about Peter and Paul and the situation outside of the Bible. But let's try and put it into our own lives. Say your pastor speaks about something that another pastor, who might be visiting, doesn't believe is biblical. Would it be more proper to correct him in front of the whole congregation or more proper to wait until after the service and then speak to him.

Robert.Evans

As I said, I don't know anything about Peter and Paul and the situation outside of the Bible. But let's try and put it into our own lives. Say your pastor speaks about something that another pastor, who might be visiting, doesn't believe is biblical. Would it be more proper to correct him in front of the whole congregation or more proper to wait until after the service and then speak to him.
Well I think I have pretty much given my position on this. I don't think that there is such a problem in a pastor pointing out to another pastor in front of everyone, that he has made a mistake. One does not have to do by ridiculing the man. But to tell him after is to allow him to discuss something that might be plainly wrong, and allow everyone else to believe it also. How then do you correct that mistake? It is a problem. I think it could be dealt with tactifully in situe as it were. That is why (i think it is James) says that ''not many of us should want to be teachers as we are judged the more''.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well I think I have pretty much given my position on this. I don't think that there is such a problem in a pastor pointing out to another pastor in front of everyone, that he has made a mistake. One does not have to do by ridiculing the man. But to tell him after is to allow him to discuss something that might be plainly wrong, and allow everyone else to believe it also. How then do you correct that mistake? It is a problem. I think it could be dealt with tactifully in situe as it were. That is why (i think it is James) says that ''not many of us should want to be teachers as we are judged the more''.
It might work to do it publicly to some but it might have the opposite effect with others. Each situation is different. Maybe Peter and Paul HAD to be done publicly for whatever reason. Discussing privately would be a better opportunity for it helping the mistaken pastor. But, as I said, each situation is different. :)

Robert.Evans

It might work to do it publicly to some but it might have the opposite effect with others. Each situation is different. Maybe Peter and Paul HAD to be done publicly for whatever reason. Discussing privately would be a better opportunity for it helping the mistaken pastor. But, as I said, each situation is different. :)
Sure... but it is still a problem with allowing it to be told, knowing it is wrong, and having others accept it, which then has to be readressed some other time. I think it is better to nip it in the bud, and be open... not to make a big deal out of it. If it is a member of the congregation, then no, I think in private as you say

Not exactly, the question of circumcision for the Gentiles was settled by the Jerusalem Council. Consider it a theological
difference between Peter and Paul.

I forgot what post I said that to."But!,they corrected themselves did they not?"

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Hello Christine ES, According to the Scriptures, christians are to judge those within. In other words, christians are to judge christians. However, christians are not to condemn anyone, christian or otherwise. Pointing out a brother or sister's sin might save them. As for outsiders, God will judge them. We are told not to judge outsiders. That is my understanding anyway. So when Paul admonished Peter, he was doing so rightfully. What Peter was doing was wrong, and he needed to be told so.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems the question in the original post went two ways. I understood it to mean that a person who believes his way is the right way to follow Jesus Christ to be calling someone else a false Christian because he doesn't believe the same way is wrong. But the right way is to privately enquire if it is so and to gently explain why it is wrong. On forum there are certain people calling others false Christians with "no love for God" when they have not agreed to a perceived truth of God.

Jesus words come to mind. He said take the least spot. But if a person insists his way is the only right way that person is taking the first spot.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hello Christine ES, According to the Scriptures, christians are to judge those within. In other words, christians are to judge christians. However, christians are not to condemn anyone, christian or otherwise. Pointing out a brother or sister's sin might save them. As for outsiders, God will judge them. We are told not to judge outsiders. That is my understanding anyway. So when Paul admonished Peter, he was doing so rightfully. What Peter was doing was wrong, and he needed to be told so.
I've already said over and over again that yes, Paul did have a right to tell him. I never said he didn't . What I speaking about is doing it publicly or not doing it publicly, in that case. And I am not speaking about judging Christians, I am speaking about condemning Christians: Telling other Christians that they are not true Christians.
(I am beginning to wonder if people read other's posts very thoroughly).
:)

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
I've already said over and over again that yes, Paul did have a right to tell him. I never said he didn't . What I speaking about is doing it publicly or not doing it publicly, in that case. And I am not speaking about judging Christians, I am speaking about condemning Christians: Telling other Christians that they are not true Christians.
(I am beginning to wonder if people read other's posts very thoroughly).
:)
I agree with you, especially about telling other christians they are not "true" christians. And the Scriptures are pretty clear on how we confront christians who are sinning. Go to them privately first. Then bring someone with you. If that doesn't work, tell it to the church.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
To point at someone and say "you are not a true christian" is different than someone pointing out what true Christians do not do.
That's splitting hairs. It's just a matter of semantics. It sounds to me like you're saying it's wrong to tell someone, "You're not a true Christian." But it's okay to say, "True Christians do not accept any scriptures aside from the Bible." The second statement is just a roundabout way of saying the same thing as the first, and it's no more acceptable in God's eyes. In either case, the person is taking it upon himself to judge another, and this is something we have been told not to do.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I told you what it means.It speaks of judging others when you yourself do the same thing.
Okay, so why, when Jesus came upon the woman taken in adultery, did He respond as He did? The Pharisees were trying to put Him in an awkward position by pointing out to Him that, according to the law of Moses, the woman deserved to be stoned. Then they asked Him what He thought they should do. They were trying to bait Him; they were trying to see if they could get Him to tell them to tell them they should disregard the law of Moses. But how did He respond? He responded by inviting whichever person among them who was without sin to cast the first stone. And, of course, they all turned away. The Pharisees were not judging her for doing something they were also guilty of. They were judging her for having sinned. Period. And because they, too, were sinners, Jesus' answer pricked their consciences and they realized they had no right to judge her.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Okay, so why, when Jesus came upon the woman taken in adultery, did He respond as He did? The Pharisees were trying to put Him in an awkward position by pointing out to Him that, according to the law of Moses, the woman deserved to be stoned. Then they asked Him what He thought they should do. They were trying to bait Him; they were trying to see if they could get Him to tell them to tell them they should disregard the law of Moses. But how did He respond? He responded by inviting whichever person among them who was without sin to cast the first stone. And, of course, they all turned away. The Pharisees were not judging her for doing something they were also guilty of. They were judging her for having sinned. Period. And because they, too, were sinners, Jesus' answer pricked their consciences and they realized they had no right to judge her.
I'd say that's true most of the time. People call others "sinners" to get the attention off their own sins.