• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians:Condemning Vs. Teaching

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Here you go:

Matthew 18:15 But if your brother shall trespass against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.

This is for personal grievances

this is not for things that he does against God or against the congregation or against Christ.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This is for personal grievances

this is not for things that he does against God or against the congregation or against Christ.
I know that. But as I said earlier about when David commit adultery and caused the death of the woman's husband, Nathan brought it up to David in private. If David did not listen, then Nathan would have probably went further.

Of course they did. But did Abraham repent when he told others that Sarai was his sister, he told others the same thing again later. David did turn around, yet Nathan had to bring it up to him. You will notice that Nathan did not discuss this with David in public, but in private, as well.
You don't seem to understand what I am speaking about. I am not speaking against telling others what they do is a sin, I would only tell that to other Christians and only in private. A public forum is not the place to do that and it is not my place to tell people who don't even follow my faith. That is why I don't discuss homosexuality here.

It was his seed that was given the promise.The covenant was with him was it not?

If you cannot speak on an open forum about homosexuality, when the forum is about it,well then I'm sorry.It sounds as if you have an issue.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But you are wrong sister.Very wrong.You said Paul was wrong to do that.You are incorrect.By saying this you do not agree with Gods word.
I repeat, I am not wrong. Just because I did not agree with what Paul did does not mean that I don't follow God's word.

I repeat, I am not wrong. Just because I did not agree with what Paul did does not mean that I don't follow God's word.

What I am saying sister is that if Paul is correcting Peter, and others, because they are wrong,then this is just.Paul is correct in doing this.Just as 2 Timothy 3:16 says.If Paul does this then he is righteous.He is showing love and trying to correct his brothers.This is what Jesus taught.To go against this and to say Paul is wrong is going against what Jesus taught.

Ps.This is what God's word teaches is it not?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Reread the OP. I wasn't speaking about grievances spoken in public in the first place but about but about CONDEMNATION! Telling someone, as a Christian, that they are a false Christian and don't follow God's word or whatever is what I speaking about.

You're right, I don't know, really, whether Paul was right or wrong in blasting Peter in public. It does appear to go against what Jesus spoke about.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What I am saying sister is that if Paul is correcting Peter, and others, because they are wrong,then this is just.Paul is correct in doing this.Just as 2 Timothy 3:16 says.If Paul does this then he is righteous.He is showing love and trying to correct his brothers.This is what Jesus taught.To go against this and to say Paul is wrong is going against what Jesus taught.

Ps.This is what God's word teaches is it not?
I did not say Paul was wrong about correcting Peter. What I didn't agree with was that he did it in public rather that in private.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It was his seed that was given the promise.The covenant was with him was it not?

If you cannot speak on an open forum about homosexuality, when the forum is about it,well then I'm sorry.It sounds as if you have an issue.
There are other sins. If sodomy is indeed a sin, it is one amongst a lot of others. I don't break my own rules: 1. I can tell others about Jesus if they want to hear it, but I will not preach to them about various sins until they either accept Jesus or they ask straight out.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I know that. But as I said earlier about when David commit adultery and caused the death of the woman's husband, Nathan brought it up to David in private. If David did not listen, then Nathan would have probably went further.

In that instance, David sinned against God. It was Gods laws he was breaking and God used his prophet to call David to account.
Its no different today really. The ones leading a congregation are likewise responsible for calling wrongdoers to account.

But if you have an issue with a fellow christian and they have done you wrong, then Jesus words would apply.. you speak to he person quietly and try to set things right.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
In that instance, David sinned against God. It was Gods laws he was breaking and God used his prophet to call David to account.
Its no different today really. The ones leading a congregation are likewise responsible for calling wrongdoers to account.

But if you have an issue with a fellow christian and they have done you wrong, then Jesus words would apply.. you speak to he person quietly and try to set things right.
David also sinned against Uriah and his whole family. It doesn't say whether Bathsheba had other children or not. In a way, he sinned against all of people, as he, as king, was supposed to be an example.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
David also sinned against Uriah and his whole family. It doesn't say whether Bathsheba had other children or not. In a way, he sinned against all of people, as he, as king, was supposed to be an example.

sure, sin affects many people.

But i just dont think this is the same context as what Jesus stated in Matthew.

As the king of Isreal, who would come dare accuse David of wrongdoing? These situations are not the same.

Jesus was really only speaking about when two individuals have a problem between themselves. Then you should go and speak to your brother or sister privately. But if a person is sinning against God, then thats a different matter and would be handled by the congregation elders because they represent God.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Try putting yourselves in that position. If I were to be practicing something that I did not realize was against God's word, I would be totally humiliated if the pastor of my Church brought me forward during services, called me a false Christian and told the whole congregration what I had done. I would repent, of course, but I think it would be better for me and anyone else if it were done in private, with one or a few people present. I would probably quit the Church, however, and not look for a new one if it were done publicly.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
sure, sin affects many people.

But i just dont think this is the same context as what Jesus stated in Matthew.

As the king of Isreal, who would come dare accuse David of wrongdoing? These situations are not the same.

Jesus was really only speaking about when two individuals have a problem between themselves. Then you should go and speak to your brother or sister privately. But if a person is sinning against God, then thats a different matter and would be handled by the congregation elders because they represent God.
You are correct, of course. Sometimes it merits, if a person doesn't change his/her actions, to put it in front of a group of, say, elders or long-standing members to discuss it further.

I did not say Paul was wrong about correcting Peter. What I didn't agree with was that he did it in public rather that in private.

This is what you said in post#9,"What I meant was that Paul was not around Jesus while he preached as Peter was. Paul was wrong to call out Peter in public that way, in my view, as it goes against at least one of Jesus' teachings, as I posted. Paul was a human being."

Peter did not sin against Paul,it was against the uncircumcised gentiles and God.
It was done in public.
If Peter would have sinned against Paul,it would have been done in private.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This is what you said in post#9,"What I meant was that Paul was not around Jesus while he preached as Peter was. Paul was wrong to call out Peter in public that way, in my view, as it goes against at least one of Jesus' teachings, as I posted. Paul was a human being."

Peter did not sin against Paul,it was against the uncircumcised gentiles and God.
It was done in public.
If Peter would have sinned against Paul,it would have been done in private.
I see what you're saying. But, as I said, I don't think Paul was wrong to call out Peter about that at all. I just don't know if it served any purpose being done in public or not. But then, I am not Peter and I don't know how Simon Peter would have felt about that. It might have done him good or even better to be done in front of people. I wasn't there. They key words were "in public". You may have misunderstood that I meant that Paul should not have told Peter that at all, and that is not what I meant.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. But, as I said, I don't think Paul was to call out Peter about that at all. I just don't know if it served any purpose being done in public or not. But then, I am not Peter and I don't know how Simon Peter would have felt about that. It might have done him good or even better to be done in front of people. I wasn't there. They key words were "in public".

It's cool sister.We need to pray and ask for a better understanding if we want to know the truth.We must read and study the holy scriptures thoroughly taking in everything we can on the matter to get a better understanding about it.The way I see it is that Paul did what he needed to do according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.He did so out of love.He corrected his brothers because they were wrong.Peter was wrong for discriminating against those men.Paul later spoke of circumcision of the heart.Spiritual Jews.The Jews of those times had a hard time accepting this new teaching.In those days the literal Jews were the chosen ones only.To share this with worldly people,not Jews, was not acceptable to them.The new covenant made it possible for all of mankind to have a chance for salvation.God is love.This is what Paul preached.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
It would appear that Paul wasn't paying too much attention to what Jesus taught, doesn't it. ;)
But Yahshuah spoke before the spirit was given, Paul after. Does he not have the right to judge... and if so, why not us? There is a difference.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But Yahshuah spoke before the spirit was given, Paul after. Does he not have the right to judge... and if so, why not us? There is a difference.
As I said, Paul did have a right. It was doing it publicly that I was questioning. I said this later in the thread.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think Peter was also right. He remained a Jew and was worried about that. The dream he had was a better way for The Lord to speak to him. (You guys must know the story of Peter's dream about eating animals, if not, it's in Acts).