• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Christ's Bones?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Christians Only Please:

Would the discovery of the human remains of Jesus of Nazareth stop you being a Christian?

They'd stop me from being one

It would prove there was no resurrection, and no ascension up to Heaven

I believe that you cannot have Christianity without those two things

It would also seriously undermine my God Concept, as I acquired this from Christian influences

It would knock a pretty large hole in it, to say the least

I would either drift into some other God Concept or (more likely I think) revert to being an Atheist

Last edited:

Lain

Christians Only Please:

Would the discovery of the human remains of Jesus of Nazareth stop you being a Christian?

It would also seriously undermine my God Concept, as I acquired this from Christian influences

I would either drift into some other God Concept or (more likely I think) revert to being an Atheist

Assuming we could truly know with infallible knowledge they were His bones it absolutely would, for not only does it violate the Resurrection and the Ascension it violates the Prophecies concerning Him. This would also make the Trinity false, Him to be a false prophet, and a a host of other things. As St. Paul said, if Christ is not raised our faith is worse than useless.

I would cease to be Christian, disassociate myself from the religion, and probably just pray to God and be my own sort of theist, likely getting into something like Hermeticism.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christians Only Please:

No. Christianity is supposed to be based upon Love, not bones.

A lot of people lose their faith when they find out their beliefs fall short of reality, like believing the earth is 6000 years old, only to find out it's really 4.5 billion years old. Then the question remains, was that really faith in God, or marriage to their ideas and beliefs? Is faith placed in Spirit, or in our concepts and ideas?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What if God himself told you that they were?
You don’t think wicked spirits could imposter God?

Remember in Exodus 7, the invisible forces behind Pfaraoh’s magic-practicing priests, when they turned their staffs into snakes?

They can mislead.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Obviously, if the resurrection is false then Christianity is false. But your hypothetical is impossible as there would be no way to establish anything meaningful about any bones found.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

Christians Only Please:

No

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I already have suspicions of scribes or their employers thinking they were justified to embellish some of the carpenter's son's life. To me Jesus brought compassion to the forefront of His message. Those beliefs in compassion make Jesus real. I've always had problems with ascension tales. The Resurrection is another story though. That miracle is the cornerstone of Christianity; it would be hard to forgive the Apostles if they lied about that. I can accept that Jesus sinned; since He was also human. It seems the carpenter's son believed that He was the Christ... .I recall a conversation I had with a young Catholic priest. He admitted he ,at times, doubted his beliefs. He remarked," I hope Jesus was really the Son of God; I've bet my life on it". I could accept the finding of His bones and still believe in the Spirit of Christ having survived death and appeared to the Apostles.....What is more important is God the Father and Creator to me. (at this writing anyway):)

Last edited:

Firelight

Inactive member
No. Christianity is supposed to be based upon Love, not bones.

A lot of people lose their faith when they find out their beliefs fall short of reality, like believing the earth is 6000 years old, only to find out it's really 4.5 billion years old. Then the question remains, was that really faith in God, or marriage to their ideas and beliefs? Is faith placed in Spirit, or in our concepts and ideas?

What will you do when you find out it’s not 4.5 billion years old?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe...a bit.
If the DNA of these bones matched with that found on the Holy Shroud, my faith would be strengthened, though.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What will you do when you find out it’s not 4.5 billion years old?
I'll accept what the best of the knowledge our experts say it is. I've already adjusted my religious beliefs accordingly, and have no problems doing it again. My faith does not rest in my beliefs. Beliefs are ideas of the mind. Faith is a condition of the heart.

"When I was a child, I thought as a child, but when I became an adult I put away childish things". Clearly Paul had no problem changing his thinking about things as he grew in faith. Neither should we.