• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, anything wrong with the following?

RESOLUTION

Err . . . .The parody isn't of Jesus knocking on the door, but of the For Dummies instructional/reference books.

So why post that particular picture. You do realise that the small bubbles filled with words were aimed at Jesus knocking don't
you? So what exactly were you agreeing with?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Piranhas gotta eat too. Ultimately, one monkey don't stop the show. If there are a few unbelievers dropping like flies, it's like the beaches of Normandy. They didn't say; oops Jim got shot, stop the war. They pressed on to victory, past Satans artillery which was causing men to lose belief.
This is a crappy analogy for God, since no decent commander throws away his troops' lives needlessly. If soldiers die on the battlefield, it's only because the commander couldn't achieve the objective while keeping them safe, or things happened that the commander didn't foresee. Which one describes your god?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
This is a crappy analogy for God, since no decent commander throws away his troops' lives needlessly. If soldiers die on the battlefield, it's only because the commander couldn't achieve the objective while keeping them safe, or things happened that the commander didn't foresee. Which one describes your god?

Is unbelief a failure of God? No, obviously there is something going on that we don't know. All God has to do is show himself as God in some unmistakable way and nobody could disbelieve. But God works in mysterious ways.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is unbelief a failure of God? No, obviously there is something going on that we don't know.
You use "obviously" in a way I'm not familiar with. I'm not sure why a Christian would believe that there are things in this universe that God is ultimately not responsible for.

All God has to do is show himself as God in some unmistakable way and nobody could disbelieve. But God works in mysterious ways.
IOW, disbelief is God's will for reasons we don't know.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
You use "obviously" in a way I'm not familiar with. I'm not sure why a Christian would believe that there are things in this universe that God is ultimately not responsible for.

IOW, disbelief is God's will for reasons we don't know.

disbelief is possible for reasons we don't know. Maybe we can guess. Jesus told doubting Thomas that believing on faith is better than having proof. Perhaps because the less proof you require is equal to how much you love, accept and trust in Jesus based on his good works. Healing the sick, raising the dead. How would we know Jesus was good and powerful like that if there were no sick or dead?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Skwim, it tells the story sarcastically and is meant to do so in a way that pokes fun at salvation. The reality is very different, though.
Story? It's no more than a succinct summery of Christian salvation.

In any case . . .

1) what is this fun you see being poked at salvation?
2) Where is the sarcasm?
3) Is the summery mistaken?
4) If so, how?
If you can't answer these three or four questions don't bother answering at all.

This is an image (created in 2013 I believe) that first appeared on the Betty Bowers ("America's Best Christian") web site, which has since found itself popping up across the internet---it was recently posted in a thread here on RF. It's a parody of the For Dummies instructional/reference books.

image.jpeg

I realize some Christians might take exception to it, perhaps as an abuse of a well known theme of Jesus knocking on the door, but aside from that, as a succinct summery of Christian salvation I believe it's spot on.
Any disagreements?

Jesus is knocking on a door for what? Notice there is no door knob on Christ’s side. The sinners are the ones who must make a free will choice. The verse is taken from Revelation 3:19 & 20:-
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Jesus is talking to the luke warm church at Laodicea. So He is talking to believers not unbelievers. Christ never threatens anyone into the Kingdom of God, but He, in His love, lays out the consequences of rejecting Him. Those who reject Him in their sinfulness and don’t want Christ, will forever get their wish, when they are eternally parted from Him in Hell. Sinners have Christ’s protection from His wrath against sin in this life, but in the next life that protection from the wrath of God will be removed. Christ is a holy God and hates sin. That is why He died upon the cross for our sins, to deal with the sin question. That is why the way is open to come to Christ for salvation, if we chose. But unrepentant sinners send themselves to Hell, because that is the choice they have made in this life. Certainty for eternity.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So why post that particular picture.
Because after four years it's still popping up on the internet, and most recently on a thread here on RF. So,I was curious if anyone found the summary of the mechanics of salvation to be in error. "Christians, anything wrong with the following?"

You do realise that the small bubbles filled with words were aimed at Jesus knocking don't you?
I believe they're

1) integral to the parody of the For Dummies instructional/reference books.
2) They're right on the spot as summarizing the reason for seeking salvation.​

So what exactly were you agreeing with?
The reason one should seek salvation: People should let Jesus into their hearts so he can save them from what he will do to them if they don't let him in.

Last edited:
Story? It's no more than a succinct summery of Christian salvation.

In any case . . .

1) what is this fun you see being poked at salvation?
2) Where is the sarcasm?
3) Is the summery mistaken?
4) If so, how?
If you can't answer these three or four questions don't bother answering at all.

Hello Skwim, there is no need to ask questions when you already know the answers.

RESOLUTION

Because after four years it's still popping up on the internet, and most recently on a thread here on RF. So,I was curious if anyone found the summary of the mechanics of salvation to be in error. "Christians, anything wrong with the following?"

I believe they're

1) integral to the parody of the For Dummies instructional/reference books.
2) They're right on the spot as summarizing the reason for seeking salvation.​

The reason one should seek salvation: People should let Jesus into their hearts so he can save them from what he will do to them if they don't let him in.

Ibelieve my post was right and explained why yours was incorrect.

RESOLUTION

The only assertion you made was, "the small bubbles filled with words were aimed at Jesus knocking," to which I can only say, okay. :shrug:

There was nothing at all explaining why I was incorrect.

I accept Skwim you may not understand what is really being said.

You see man always sees things differently. We have had a different prospective as to what your post actually represented.
That is ok. But you do need more clarification to the actual purpose for presenting such a piece and not giving a clearer intention of that purpose makes people see it as it appears rather than your personal representation. We just have to agree to differ on our understanding. No worries here. :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A sinner has condemned himself to righteous judgement so Jesus isn't doing anything to them. One brings condemnation on himself.

I usually see this as "God doesn't send you to hell. You send yourself"

Then I guess I won't be going to hell. Who would send themselves?

Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, however, serve as a substitute for the judgement of sin for those who believe it. It's just that simple.

There's always a catch. I have to believe what is unbelievable to me:

"If there is a god, that god should know exactly what it would take to change my mind...and that god should be capable of doing whatever it would take. The fact that this hasn't happened can only mean one of two things: 1. No such god exists. 2. Whatever god exists doesn't care to convince me. In either case, there's nothing I can do about it. Meanwhile, all of those believers who think that there is a god who does want me to know that he exists - are clearly, obviously, undeniably... wrong." ~Matt Dillahunty"

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It does seem rather silly that god would gift us with the ability to reason, only to expect us to forgo its use.

Here are two people that agree:

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them" - Galileo Galilei

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you say. But God gives mankind a choice Cake or death. Some will choose cake, and some will choose death. With freedom to choose as a cherry on top. Sounds pretty nice.

I have no more freedom to choose to believe in a god than you do to believe that you are a tree. I believe what my mind judges believable.

I could probably have done that as a small boy, before I developed critical thinking skills.

But with those in place, faith based thinking is no longer an option.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
This is an image (created in 2013 I believe) that first appeared on the Betty Bowers ("America's Best Christian") web site, which has since found itself popping up across the internet---it was recently posted in a thread here on RF. It's a parody of the For Dummies instructional/reference books.

image.jpeg

I realize some Christians might take exception to it, perhaps as an abuse of a well known theme of Jesus knocking on the door, but aside from that, as a succinct summery of Christian salvation I believe it's spot on.

Any disagreements?

If you're not willing to do the work of rationalizing away all the inconsistencies and irrationalities with Christianity, then how do ever expect it to make sense? I have no idea why so many people think that the message from the one, true god should be logical and consistent.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well im not entirely sure if he means Join me or I'll kill you or join me or I will make you burn in hell for eternity. Either way, eternal life in a perfect world seems like the better option.

This may seem flip to you, but who wants a pig in a poke for eternity?

Before I agree to participate in heaven, I need to know how much free time I'll have and how much needs to be spent worshiping and praising God. That really doesn't seem to appealing.

And how about things like having friends, seeing movies and going to restaurants? What will our options be for our time off, if we get any? Am I going to have to give up every aspect of life I have known and enjoyed?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh Jeeves is most certainly giving you eternal life and he is killing you if you don't show up. The real question is when are you going to meet Jeeves and will you post a picture for when you arrive at Disneyland. If you refuse to go please give me a good reason. I thought this was your dream come true.... right?

And we know that Disney was a god by his fulfilled prophecies:

[1a]Disneic prophecy : http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YfFGRqeDZ...0/q685QP_VRPg/s400/Mickey_Mouse_as_Wizard.gif
[1b]Disneic prophecy fulfilled : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe....jpg/170px-AbuGhraibAbuse-standing-on-box.jpg

[2a]Disneic prophecy: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/151/a/a/Pile_of_Pooh_by_DizzieDummie.jpg
[2b] Disneic prophecy fulfilled : http://0.tqn.com/d/middleeast/1/0/o/7/-/-/abu-ghraib-torture-06.jpg