• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity's hidden privilege

pearl

If I look around at all the shops and businesses that are open on sunday... It's not that long ago that such would have been seen as scandalous. Today, people rather complain instread, when something isn't open on sunday.

Here in Massachusetts, we had numerous 'blue laws' that have since dwindled down to very few. Virtually nothing was allowed to open on Sunday except for stores, (delis, bakeries,) in the Jewish marketplace. From liquor stores closed on Sunday to how early they may open.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Doesn't matter to me but some take issue with Christian symbols being displayed.
I think that depends on the context.

One of the things about living in a society crafted with Christians in mind is that Christian social mores are taken into account in most dress codes and uniform standards. It's often the case that a Christian doesn't need anything "extra" to comply with the dictates of their conscience in respect to their religion. This isn't the case for, say, a Muslim woman with her hijab, or a Sikh with his "5 Ks."

So when a Christian wears, say, religious jewelry, it raises the question of why they're doing it.

If it's something they find personally important even if it isn't mandatory (i.e. how a lot of Catholics feel about their crucifix pendants), then fine. If they just really like the religious item for aesthetic reasons, that's generally fine, too.

OTOH, as this thread has made clear, lots of Christians think that they're entitled to make our society a Christian society. If someone is using their cross necklace or Jesus fish pin to:

- signal their support for Christian anti-secularism,
- signal to other Christians that they should receive special treatment, or
- signal to other Christians that the pin-wearer is willing to give them special treatment,

... then the Christian religious garb is a problem.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
George Washington
1st U.S. President

"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."

John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
--Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.

"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty...

"Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System."
-Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, excerpt from a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson
3rd U.S. President, Drafter and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever..."
--Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, p. 237.

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ."
--The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, p. 385.
John Hancock
1st Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."
--History of the United States of America, Vol. II, p. 229.

Benjamin Franklin
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Unites States Constitution

"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped.
John Quincy Adams
6th U.S. President

"The hope of a Christian is inseparable from his faith. Whoever believes in the divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures must hope that the religion of Jesus shall prevail throughout the earth. Never since the foundation of the world have the prospects of mankind been more encouraging to that hope than they appear to be at the present time. And may the associated distribution of the Bible proceed and prosper till the Lord shall have made 'bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God' (Isaiah 52:10)."
--Life of John Quincy Adams, p. 248.
Benjamin Rush
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Ratifier of the U.S. Constitution

"The gospel of Jesus Christ prescribes the wisest rules for just conduct in every situation of life. Happy they who are enabled to obey them in all situations!"
--The Autobiography of Benjamin Rush, pp. 165-166.

"If moral precepts alone could have reformed mankind, the mission of the Son of God into all the world would have been unnecessary.

The perfect morality of the gospel rests upon the doctrine which, though often controverted has never been refuted: I mean the vicarious life and death of the Son of God."

--Essays, Literary, Moral, and Philosophical, published in 1798.
Patrick Henry
Ratifier of the U.S. Constitution

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
--The Trumpet Voice of Freedom: Patrick Henry of Virginia, p. iii.

What point do you think you made here? That some of the founders were Christians or admired Christianity? That would be irrelevant to the discussion.

The dispute was over whether America was founded on Christian principles. I rebutted that claim. I told the other fellow that he could not produce a single Christian principle that was a principle of Americanism as defined in the founding document, the Constitution, and to date neither you, he, or anybody else has done that. I even posted examples of biblical principles in direct conflict with Americanism.

Until somebody successfully rebuts that, the argument stands as correct. You haven't done that with this post. Unless I missed something, only that last entry makes the claim that the nation was founded on "the gospel of Jesus Christ," which is not only a spurious claim - Henry wrote no such thing ever - but irrelevant even if he had, since it is clearly incorrect.

All one need do to see how little of Christianity appears in the founding documents is make a list of Christian principle, a list of American principles, and compare them to see that there is zero overlap any better than "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" (except the liberty and pursuit of happiness, which are not Christian principles) and "Thou shalt not kill." The Christian concept of liberty is to submit to God, the government, your slaver if you are a slave, and your husband if you are a wife.

Just look how Christian "freedom" is manifesting in the news today - as anti-American theocratic tendencies. Where are Christians pushing for liberty? What freedoms have the church been promoting? None. They don't do rights. They do commandments, and these days, restrictive laws.

Christianity does not give men the right to cast off the chains of oppression from the prevailing government, nor does it permit the pursuit of happiness, which it steadfastly warns against except through its single prescribed path according to its definition of happiness, not yours.

Not only is it the case that the two isms cannot be mapped one onto the other, as I mentioned and illustrated, they contradict one another in several places. Church-state separation would be another. Not a Christian principle.

One of the least appealing aspects of Christianity is its trying to poach the best ideas from humanism for itself. Have you seen the arguments for why science is a Christian invention? It's like yours for the Constitution. It's basically that if Christians were involved, science is of Christian origin. There's a well known poster here on RF that has been arguing for years that humanism itself is the child of Christianity, even thought the counterargument is the same as the one I gave you regarding America being a Christian nation: List the principles of humanism and Christianity and look for overlap. You just won't find it.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
So the country was founded by people who believed in God. Now people who do not believe in God want all references to Gos removed.

I think the greater struggle for atheists in the US is with Christianity, not Deism.

From what I have seen, Deists are usually quite welcome in atheist circles because they usually support skepticism, science, education, and de-Christianization. Many atheists don't believe in a Deist God, but still respect the position, from what I've seen.

That said, I am not a Deist, and I could be missing out on the hostility towards them.

Most of the references made to "God" were put there within the last century by Christians as a part of their propaganda during war time, such as putting "One nation, under God" in the pledge or putting "In God We Trust" on our currency. It's these references that I know even some Deists want removed due to their violation of the spirit of separation of church and state.

Fallen Prophet

As a society, we've arranged our schedule around Christianity: Christian days of worship and holidays are "standard" days off work. Other religions don't get this privilege. This has lots of effects that disadvantage non-Christians.

As an example (I'm a transportation engineer, so my brain goes to traffic impacts), say you have a plot of land next to a high school that you're looking to develop. You have in mind a place of worship for 1000 people... but what do you build?

If you build a mosque there, the peak of site traffic is going to be on Friday afternoon, just when the high school - and background traffic - is at its busiest. This can often mean that to build a mosque, you'd need expensive traffic upgrades: maybe building a left turn lane, or lengthening turn lanes at a nearby intersection. Expensive stuff.

OTOH, if you build a church there, the peak of site traffic is going to be on Sunday morning. There will be no traffic from the high school and background traffic will be light. Odds are that the road network can accommodate the church without expensive upgrades.

This difference in direct cost - which will end up as a major difference in out-of-pocket cost to the members of a religious congregation - can be traced back entirely to privileged treatment of Christianity: we shut a lot of our society down on Christian holy days, but Islam isn't afforded the same luxury.

So... what should be done about this? Do you agree that the mosque is being treated in a discriminatory way (maybe not deliberately, but discriminatory in effect)? If so, how should we as a society respond?
Don't Muslims tend to gather during lunch time - like around noon?

How would a school affect that time?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Don't Muslims tend to gather during lunch time - like around noon?

How would a school affect that time?
Prayer times vary by time of year (and latitude, IIRC). Around here, the main Friday prayer often starts around 2:00 p.m. with parishoners leaving just as kids are leaving school.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
No you didn't. I quoted several founders who explicitly stated that America was founded on Christianity.

"Although orthodox Christians participated at every stage of the new republic, Deism influenced a majority of the Founders. The movement opposed barriers to moral improvement and to social justice. It stood for rational inquiry, for skepticism about dogma and mystery, and for religious toleration. Many of its adherents advocated universal education, freedom of the press, and separation of church and state. If the nation owes much to the Judeo-Christian tradition, it is also indebted to Deism, a movement of reason and equality that influenced the Founding Fathers to embrace liberal political ideals remarkable for their time."

"the widespread existence in 18th-century America of a school of religious thought called Deism complicates the actual beliefs of the Founders. Drawing from the scientific and philosophical work of such figures as Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Isaac Newton, and John Locke, Deists argued that human experience and rationality—rather than religious dogma and mystery—determine the validity of human beliefs. In his widely read The Age of Reason, Thomas Paine, the principal American exponent of Deism, called Christianity “a fable.” Paine, the protégé of Benjamin Franklin, denied “that the Almighty ever did communicate anything to man, by…speech,…language, or…vision.”

CITATION

Viker

Häxan
No you didn't. I quoted several founders who explicitly stated that America was founded on Christianity.
Not really. Those are quote mined pieces of opinions that have no more bearing on the founding than the greater desire for self governance. Which happens to be a universal struggle. No doubt Christians were there and contributing to the formation. The founders had no intention of creating another Christian country.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not really. Those are quote mined pieces of opinions that have no more bearing on the founding than the greater desire for self governance. Which happens to be a universal struggle. No doubt Christians were there and contributing to the formation. The founders had no intention of creating another Christian country.
Not explicitly Christian, no, but definitely on Christian principles.