• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity's hidden privilege

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Aside form Christmas I’m not aware of any other holidays.
Well, we (Canada) get 2 days off at Christmas and 2 days off at Easter.

I'm willing to give a pass to New Year's Day (a Holy Day of Obligation in the Catholic Church) and Thanksgiving (that was founded with heavy religious overtones) because they've been pretty well secularized.

But even getting one day off for a Christian religious holiday is still more privileged than the zero days off that every other religion gets.

Religious buildings are often an issue and opposed by some Christians (not a very biblical action). There are some traditions that run deep. Spring break is for planting crops, we vote on Tuesday’s due to sabbaths and travel time back in the day.

What to do? Nothing except make sure groups are not targeted or mistreated.
Like I touched on a few pages back, let's first acknowledge that the current arrangement is inherently inequitable before trying to figure out how to fix the inequity.

Do you agree that the current arrangement is inequitable?

Truth in love

Well, we (Canada) get 2 days off at Christmas and 2 days off at Easter.

I'm willing to give a pass to New Year's Day (a Holy Day of Obligation in the Catholic Church) and Thanksgiving (that was founded with heavy religious overtones) because they've been pretty well secularized.

But even getting one day off for a Christian religious holiday is still more privileged than the zero days off that every other religion gets.

Like I touched on a few pages back, let's first acknowledge that the current arrangement is inherently inequitable before trying to figure out how to fix the inequity.

Do you agree that the current arrangement is inequitable?

somewhat. I worked for a Baha’i guy years back. He had several holidays that he took off that are not holidays for federal employees. Given that Christmas observance is both very much commercialized and a many hundred years tradition I think but needs to stay. I can’t speak for all employers but day off we’re done very fairly in many places I worked. If you had a holiday of some sort you were just as able to get it off as any other day.