• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity - Has it been a net gain or loss in world history?

Has Christianity been a net gain or loss on world history?

• Christianity has been a net loss on the world we would have been better off without it.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Christianity has been a net gain on the world we are been better off because of it.

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gnomon

If you cannot answer even one of the questions I have asked, surely I have some right to question whether it is really the Christian ideal that makes people complete community service, or some other combination of factors.

Absolutely. But the question is best applied to the individual and their own .. pyschological .. reason for doing so. Most sources place the number of Christians in this world at just over 2 billion across many cultures.

It would be an extraordinary claim to state with surety any reason as to why they do so either way. The variety of religious experience and the reasons as to why people adhere to a religion are many as well.

It's not the questioning but what knowledge people possess to give as their reasoning. I remember remarking to a biology professor of mine many years ago the ludicrous notion of UFO abductions. He merely asked me how I knew the claims were ludicrous. What evidence did I possess? Had I talked to any who made the claim of a UFO abduction? Had I done any research? If my answer was no to any of these than the value of my opinion was as ludicrous as the value I placed on the subject.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
Real Christians are a gain.

People who call themselves Christians and like the idea of everlasting forgiveness or justifiable yet horrendous actions while ignoring Christ's core teachings and doing whatever the hell they like are a loss.

Now I wonder which of these are more plentiful. The easy method, or the hard one?

I personally find it hard to swallow organised Christians. Small groups are great, but as soon as they are huge, there's no one to be accountable to. Plus misinterpretations, power, group mentality, close-mindedness, blah blah blah.

Like gnomon's been stressing, you COULDN'T know what state the world would be in without Christianity. You only have opinion, and even the most informed opinion would be an incredibly misinformed opinion. Statement of opinion is not statement of fact.

The thing I hate most about being a Christian is being related to those who were so obviously not Christian. They go "look what he did, he claimed to be Christian." Oh, really? I'll stab you in the face and tell you I'm a patron of McDonald's, their food made me do it. We better start considering all (or if not, most) of McDonald's customers have tendencies to stab people in the face.

And I don't really care if it is the bulk of Christianity, and that they claim they represent it. That doesn't make them Christian.

kmkemp

That's why I chose the examples of gluttony and gossip, because they are ongoing habits of behavior that are evident others. However, you chose to switch out those examples and substitute theft so that you could dodge the question. Clearly, the churches don't treat homosexuals as they treat other "sinners," and clearly you know this, or you wouldn't have had to discard my examples.

That is absolutely false. If a homosexual were to turn from his homosexuality and become heterosexual, it is obvious that he is no longer living contrary to God's will despite his past. How is gluttony and gossip any different? Just because you are fat doesn't make you a glutton at this very moment, for example. A homosexual person is classified as such because of his sexual preference by his own ongoing admission. I'll agree that homosexuals are treated worse, in general, by people who attend church (but they are not all Christians). I don't think I will repeat that again after this post. If you still just choose to ignore that very simple statement, I don't know that we can continue to have any meaningful conversation.

Remarriage is a constant lifestyle, as long as the adulterous second marriage continues. A remarried person who hasn't ended the adulterous second marriage has not repented of it. This is directly parallel to the case of a homosexual who is in a committed relationship, but you make excuses for the heterosexual while condemning the homosexual.

Remarriage is a one time event. Being married is not a sin. Divorcing would be a sin. Committing a sin will never right a previous sin. I would challenge you to back that up with Biblical evidence. Nonetheless, I have condemned no one. We are all sinners and I would love to talk to any sinner about God, homosexual or otherwise.

Of course you don't. Bigots always think think that their bigotry is reasonable; Strom Thurmond, forty years ago, didn't think that keeping black Americans from voting was a horrible injustice, either. Because, of course, "they" don't have the rights that "we" do, and "we" have a duty to uphold god's will. You've just endorsed the same line of reasoning the Christians have always used to justify the persecution and oppression of others.

Well, thanks for the name-calling, but it really isn't needed. You are entitled to your opinion, but as the originator and definer of marriage, I think that God has the final call here.

Then why do you define the church as a body that cannot accept homosexuals as members? You can't have it both ways.

I am discriminating against homosexuals because I don't think that a homosexual can be a Christian??? I hardly think that making a judgment about where someone stands with God is discrimination. Homosexuality is something that is easier to spot than other sins and that is the only reason that a Christian should be pointing it out.

Would you like to have your city bombed? Would you like to be arbitrarily imprisoned for years without being charged with any crime? Would you like to be tortured? It is simple. Jesus said you must treat your neighbor as you would be treated. He didn't say it would be easy.

Again, it is much more complicated than that. I don't agree with the war, for the record, but (apparently unlike yourself) I am willing to admit that I don't know every reason that we went to war.

Well, fine. You consider yourself the interpreter of the Bible and the judge of who the real Christians are. But you yourself support bigotry, oppression, and violence, so how are your "real" Christians any better than the Christians you think are "fake"?

I don't see that I've done any of that, but I guess it's okay for you to be the judge of that, right?

astarath

Christ was the greatest thing that ever happened to this world.
Sadly one would say the Pauline Church that acted/acts in his name is quite possibly one of the worst things that ever happened to humanity.

Hope

Princesinha
The thing I hate most about being a Christian is being related to those who were so obviously not Christian. They go "look what he did, he claimed to be Christian." Oh, really? I'll stab you in the face and tell you I'm a patron of McDonald's, their food made me do it. We better start considering all (or if not, most) of McDonald's customers have tendencies to stab people in the face.

And I don't really care if it is the bulk of Christianity, and that they claim they represent it. That doesn't make them Christian.

Amen!!!! :bow:

rojse

RF Addict
Real Christians are a gain.

People who call themselves Christians and like the idea of everlasting forgiveness or justifiable yet horrendous actions while ignoring Christ's core teachings and doing whatever the hell they like are a loss.

Now I wonder which of these are more plentiful. The easy method, or the hard one?

I personally find it hard to swallow organised Christians. Small groups are great, but as soon as they are huge, there's no one to be accountable to. Plus misinterpretations, power, group mentality, close-mindedness, blah blah blah.

Like gnomon's been stressing, you COULDN'T know what state the world would be in without Christianity. You only have opinion, and even the most informed opinion would be an incredibly misinformed opinion. Statement of opinion is not statement of fact.

No true Scotsman?

Smoke

Done here.
Homosexuality is something that is easier to spot than other sins
I'll bet you'd like to think so. Bigotry is as obvious as a clown nose, though.

I don't expect you to understand it, but everything you write just confirms my opinion. It's okay. I've learned to live with Christian bigotry.

Smoke

Done here.
Well, of course. Statement of opinion is exactly what the OP asked for, so what's your beef?

I also don't know what the world would have been like without the Inquisition or the Holocaust (just two of the many blessings Christians have bestowed on their fellow man), but given a choice, I'd like to find out.

Hope

Princesinha
I also don't know what the world would have been like without the Inquisition or the Holocaust (just two of the many blessings Christians have bestowed on their fellow man), but given a choice, I'd like to find out.

I don't know what history book you read, but Christians had nothing whatsoever to do with the Holocaust. How you can make such a blatantly false accusation is beyond me. Christians were the ones helping hide and rescue Jews during the Holocaust. Ever heard of Corrie Ten Boom?

I'll grant you, at least, that the Inquisition was the result of people who called themselves Christians. But as I and others have said repeatedly, merely calling oneself a Christian hardly makes one a Christian. You seem to stick rather stubbornly to your own uninformed, prejudiced definition of what a Christian is.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I don't know what history book you read, but Christians had nothing whatsoever to do with the Holocaust. How you can make such a blatantly false accusation is beyond me. Christians were the ones helping hide and rescue Jews during the Holocaust. Ever heard of Corrie Ten Boom?

I'll grant you, at least, that the Inquisition was the result of people who called themselves Christians. But as I and others have said repeatedly, merely calling oneself a Christian hardly makes one a Christian. You seem to stick rather stubbornly to your own uninformed, prejudiced definition of what a Christian is.
I have to disagree with you here. Hitler did use religion as a factor in motivating his own philosphy and to get everyone on board with the killing of the undesirables. He especially liked to use the "jews killed Jesus" argument to get german christians (particularly german catholics and lutherans) to be okay with the harch treatment of jews. I would argue that this was a total perversion of christianity and had no partnership by the Catholic or Lutheran church, but the fact that he was able to twist christianity to get what he wanted I think is his point.

As far as the Inquisition is concerned, that was a church sanctioned practice. The archaic practice of cleansing a sinners soul through pain prior to death was widespread.

gnomon

Well, of course. Statement of opinion is exactly what the OP asked for, so what's your beef?

Or the Egyptian conquest of Canaan?

Or black people?

Or homosexuals?

Or blowhards......and the world needs blowhards!

Smoke

Done here.
I don't know what history book you read, but Christians had nothing whatsoever to do with the Holocaust. How you can make such a blatantly false accusation is beyond me. Christians were the ones helping hide and rescue Jews during the Holocaust.
They were also the ones staffing the camps. Hitler could never have accomplished anything without the enthusiastic cooperation of millions of Christians.

Hope

Princesinha
I have to disagree with you here. Hitler did use religion as a factor in motivating his own philosphy and to get everyone on board with the killing of the undesirables. He especially liked to use the "jews killed Jesus" argument to get german christians (particularly german catholics and lutherans) to be okay with the harch treatment of jews. I would argue that this was a total perversion of christianity and had no partnership by the Catholic or Lutheran church, but the fact that he was able to twist christianity to get what he wanted I think is his point.

As far as the Inquisition is concerned, that was a church sanctioned practice. The archaic practice of cleansing a sinners soul through pain prior to death was widespread.

Thanks, Buddy. I guess I simply don't equate references to Jesus as sufficient criteria for labeling someone a "Christian."

Regardless, to claim Christianity is responsible for the Holocaust on such a slender thread of connection is really, really going out on a limb. When one has an axe to grind, one will find anything, no matter how small, to support one's point of view.