• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian women, would it help men to be less lustful if women's clothing didn't show so much of...

Erebus

...didn't show so much of their bodies?

Thanx for all answers. :)

Bro. Adam

(*Edited after seeing how words could be misunderstood.)

It's worth a go. I propose a new uniform for all women ... skin-tight PVC catsuits.

They show less skin than the day to day clothes most women wear. I can't see any possible flaw with this plan.

@PreacherToTheChoir and anyone supporting the view that women covering up is necessary to suppress male sexual desire, please read this and tell me how the men's behaviour could possibly be the fault of these girls.

http://www.womenundersiegeproject.o...e-hijab-protects-women-against-sexual-assault

This relates to the hijab and more restrictive clothing in particular, but parts of the narrative are echoes of my own experience. The following quote is from the author, who was forced to wear a burqa to school at seven years old: "Every school day, for years, as the two of us walked toward Neelo’s school, men would stare at her, sizing up her body behind the dark clothes, whispering to each other, making signs with their hands, making catcalls, taunting her, and saying things like how pretty she was—even though the only thing you could see on my sister's body were her eyes."

Is Pakistan too far away for you? How about Canada? I was 20 the first time I was catcalled. Three young men followed me down the street, yelling 'compliments' at me and commenting on my body. One of them walked beside me for a whole block, staring at my chest and singing a love song. He was easily twice my weight and looked very strong. I must have been showing off for them since they all came out to see me, right?

10am on a weekday morning. Thin, flat-chested, tired-looking, not smiling, not looking at anyone. No makeup. My hair wasn't brushed either. I was wearing jeans and a grey sweatshirt. I certainly didn't look like I was over 18.

I dressed comfortably in high school. Jeans, sweatpants, t-shirts, whatever. Other boys in my school thought that I was dating one of my friends, and they asked him to ask me to wear a certain pair of yoga pants more often because they showed off my butt. Essentially asking me to change what I wear so they have more visual material to fantasize about. You know what? Still not my fault. They should not have shamed me and made me feel even more self-conscious than I already was. We all have an internet connection here; they can find sexual release online without alienating their friends and classmates. And they wondered why I never talked to them.

Tell me now that it would help men to be less "lustful" if grown women would cover their shoulders, when there are grown men catcalling seven-year-olds who cover every part of their body in flowing black cloth except their eyes. Tell me that I could have avoided being catcalled at 20 and stared at from puberty on if I had done something similar, because it's obviously my fault if someone else comes out of their house specifically to harass me in broad daylight. Tell me it's my fault that boys like the way I look, and that it's my responsibility to protect myself from their uncontrolled desires.

Tell me that men are toddlers running around the house and it's my responsibility to put important items out of their reach, because they have no impulse control and will try to smash whatever they can against the floor, just for the delight of hearing the sound.

I've never mentioned anything about suppressing sexual desire. I've got that taken care of already as an asexual. I just think women ought to dress more modestly.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
And I wish I had a couple million dollars. And better health insurance. And that the guy who charged tens of thousands of dollars per pill for an AIDs drug had been taken outside and beaten to death with a shovel.

And a pony.

Hang on, are you wishing for a pony or that the guy who charged tens of thousands of dollars per AIDS drug pill had been beaten to death with a shovel and a pony?

@PreacherToTheChoir and anyone supporting the view that women covering up is necessary to suppress male sexual desire, please read this and tell me how the men's behaviour could possibly be the fault of these girls.

http://www.womenundersiegeproject.o...e-hijab-protects-women-against-sexual-assault

This relates to the hijab and more restrictive clothing in particular, but parts of the narrative are echoes of my own experience. The following quote is from the author, who was forced to wear a burqa to school at seven years old...

Sorry if it sounded like to you I was asking should things be banned or should women be forced to dress a certain way. I'm careful about links so I didn't click on your link but I was not saying that force should be applied to women in any kind of way.

I was asking women's opinions on what would help men, assuming of course that they want to help. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was asking women's opinions on what would help men, assuming of course that they want to help. :)
By teaching men that they and they alone are solely responsibly for their sexual behaviors. No matter what happens, no matter what a woman does to him, no matter how she appears to him, he must make the conscious decision and effect to act on sexual impulses and urges. If he acts inappropriately, it's on him. He is at fault.They should, as they saying goes, "man up" and take responsibility rather than dumping it off on someone else.

By teaching men that they and they alone are solely responsibly for their sexual behaviors. No matter what happens, no matter what a woman does to him, no matter how she appears to him, he must make the conscious decision and effect to act on sexual impulses and urges. If he acts inappropriately, it's on him. He is at fault.They should, as they saying goes, "man up" and take responsibility rather than dumping it off on someone else.

Hi, you've misunderstood my question.

I had certain things in mind asking Christian women, as opposed to all women.

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
Sorry if it sounded like to you I was asking should things be banned or should women be forced to dress a certain way. I'm careful about links so I didn't click on your link but I was not saying that force should be applied to women in any kind of way.

Sure, I'll give you my opinion as a woman then. Men should learn to control themselves without asking women to change. That would solve the problem at its source. Women should dress in ways they feel comfortable, without the fear of undeserved consequences. I recognize that not all men asking the question in the OP would advocate harassment and violence (e.g. I don't think that you would support the actions of the men in my examples), but that opinion/worldview is also extremely common among those who do those things. For the sake of women's safety and not giving men a bad name, it would be much better if people would just stop trying to control the desires of one gender by asking the other gender to sacrifice their own comfort and self-expression, especially given that no additional safety is guaranteed. It's ridiculous that safety even needs to be discussed here. If a man feels involuntary desire for me and it stops there, good for him, he's a decent human being. If a man feels involuntary desire for me and that leads him to immoral actions, that's entirely his fault and I feel no sympathy for him or guilt about my own supposed encouragement.

Helvetios

Heathen Sapiens
Hi, you've misunderstood my question.

I had certain things in mind asking Christian women, as opposed to all women.

Do you think Christian women would (or should) have a different opinion? For what it's worth I grew up as a Christian, and held the same views I'm sharing in this thread, despite the unconscious encouragement from my community to hold different views on the subject. The only significant difference between now and then is that now I'm more confident about standing my ground when I feel uncomfortable.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
<...>

It's interesting to watch some shows about how tribes in the wild jungles live completely naked, and don't have these issues. How come? Why is it so difficult for the modern men and women to be so dressed up and yet have no control over their emotions? It seems like that in our logical society, we've become more slaves to the urges and emotions than ever before.
It seems ironic to me that so many "civilized" folks apparently find the notion that nudity doesn't automatically prompt lust in human males to be astounding.
Adam and Eve started out naked without this problem. It was only after they started wearing clothes that they had problems. Go figure.

eiskalt

Adam and Eve started out naked without this problem. It was only after they started wearing clothes that they had problems. Go figure.
I think adam and eve story is somewhat out of date and very much sexist. it doesnt even include a transsexual.

Do you think Christian women would (or should) have a different opinion? For what it's worth I grew up as a Christian, and held the same views I'm sharing in this thread, despite the unconscious encouragement from my community to hold different views on the subject. The only significant difference between now and then is that now I'm more confident about standing my ground when I feel uncomfortable.

I see.

What it was was Christian women would be more likely to incline to Biblical ideas and Biblical principles, so I was searching out their opinions. :)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
...didn't show so much of their bodies?

Thanx for all answers. :)

Bro. Adam

(*Edited after seeing how words could be misunderstood.)
I don't think it is at all fair to expect women to change when men are 100% at fault. If a man can't control himself he should seek counseling and work on his own issues.

Arguably, it would make it worse. Men would become less used to seeing women dressed provocatively, so when they eventually did, they would be less likely to be able to control themselves. Although, even then it would have to be some pretty pathetic men.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I hear and I agree with most of it. But the OP asked whether it would help, and I personally believe it would. In fact I'm of the opinion that not only does modest clothing help men but it also helps women to be looked at as more then just a pound of flesh. But that's me, others may see things differently.
Sure. But it only would help for a short time. Lust and desire is a mental thing ultimately, and not a visual thing. The visual helps, and it can be a trigger for some, but it won't do much in the long run. However, I don't appreciate either if a woman comes to work, school, or other place and are showing a lot of skin and cleavage, it's distracting for sure, it's like having a guy walking into a coffee bar in underwear or speedos. It's just impolite to the rest of the people. But do I argue this from a lust/desire standpoint, no, more of a sense of being a team player in the community of people with certain expectations of dress code and behavior.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I feel like with such an answer there should be lights, alarms, confetti, balloons, and all that stuff.