• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Salvation

Cynic

How does a non-christian become saved through accepting Jesus? Can someone simply say that they accept Jesus, and then become saved?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
How does a non-christian become saved through accepting Jesus? Can someone simply say that they accept Jesus, and then become saved?
This is the sort of one that I ought to steer clear of, because I usually make a fool of myself with the wrong answer.:eek:

I would say that you need to be baptized, truly accept Jesus in your heart, and repent your sins regularly (and that is not from a Catholic viewpoint - nor Judeo-Christian)

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
This is the sort of one that I ought to steer clear of, because I usually make a fool of myself with the wrong answer.:eek:

I would say that you need to be baptized, truly accept Jesus in your heart, and repent your sins regularly (and that is not from a Catholic viewpoint - nor Judeo-Christian)
I would say pretty much that, too. -ish.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
I would say pretty much that, too. -ish.
I don't like the sound of the .......ish:D , how would you change that - don't worry, I am used to being wrong.

Linus

Cynic said:
Can someone simply say that they accept Jesus, and then become saved?
There are some people who would say that.

I am not one of those people.

I believe that baptism is needed for salvation, especially in light of Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16, and 1 Peter 3:21. Belief in Jesus Christ as the son of God is, of course, no less imporant. I do not believe you can be saved with just one or the other. Both, in conjunction with prayer, confession of sins, repentance, among other things, are what save you.

Cynic

Michel said:
Linus said:
There are some people who would say that.

I am not one of those people.

I believe that baptism is needed for salvation, especially in light of Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16, and 1 Peter 3:21. Belief in Jesus Christ as the son of God is, of course, no less imporant. I do not believe you can be saved with just one or the other. Both, in conjunction with prayer, confession of sins, repentance, among other things, are what save you.
And how does this save?

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
I don't like the sound of the .......ish:D , how would you change that - don't worry, I am used to being wrong.
well, I kind of talk about in christ is the only way to savation..... Kind of.

It's really sort of complicated depending on what you mean by "save," and stuff

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's my understanding that one need not be a clergyman, or even a Christian, to baptize. I remember being taught in nursing school that it was perfectly proper for me to baptize an infant, for example, if the parents requested it and no clergyman was available.

Perhaps it's OK to baptize oneself at the same time one accepts Jesus, completing the whole process in one fell swoop (whatever a fell swoop is...).

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Seyorni said:
It's my understanding that one need not be a clergyman, or even a Christian, to baptize. I remember being taught in nursing school that it was perfectly proper for me to baptize an infant, for example, if the parents requested it and no clergyman was available.

Perhaps it's OK to baptize oneself at the same time one accepts Jesus, completing the whole process in one fell swoop (whatever a fell swoop is...).
Once again, that all depends upon whom you ask. I believe that baptism is a sacred ordinanace which must be performed by one authorized by God to do so. It must also be performed in a specific way.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
And how does this save?
http://www.saved.com/
Salvation
Why do I need to be saved?
God leaves no doubt about our condition. While we set our standards of right and wrong by society's values, God’s standard is His own holiness. How do we measure up? "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). It is only fair that God demands holiness; that is how He first created mankind. We have rebelled against Him as a race and as individuals.
Our pathway away from God has brought its consequences. "The wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23a). The Bible compares sin to a cruel slave master. There is no mercy in suffering, no freedom from bondage, no lasting joy, no hope for the future. Most frightening is the final consequence of sin. The Bible warns that without God’s salvation, death is the doorway to eternal punishment (Hebrews 9:27).
It is from this that we need to be saved. From our own sin. From its bondage. From its consequences. "How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?" (Hebrews 2:3).
How does God say I can be saved?
God is holy and God is love. His holiness demands that our sin be punished in full. His love provides a way for us to be saved from this punishment. How is this possible? Someone was willing to suffer what we deserve. Our substitute had to be a sinless man, able to suffer the full wrath of God against our sin. The only one able to take our place was God’s Son.
The greatest display of God’s love unfolded as His Son left heaven to become a man. Born of a virgin 2000 years ago, the Lord Jesus Christ lived with His creation. He was unable to sin, yet He showed compassion to sinners all around Him. Men hated Christ because His holiness exposed their sinfulness. They decided to remove Him by crucifying Him. He willingly allowed them to nail Him to a cross of wood outside Jerusalem. They suspended Him so they could sit and watch Him die. The climax of God’s plan of salvation had arrived as God covered the earth with darkness. The Bible tells us that for three hours He laid on His Son the full punishment we deserve to receive for our sin. The darkness was broken when Jesus Christ called out with a loud voice, "It is finished". He had accomplished the mighty work, God’s great plan of salvation.
After three days in death, Christ Jesus rose from the dead. This is evidence to all who saw Him and to all who read God’s word that Christ’s suffering completely satisfied His father. He was victorious over death itself – the ultimate consequence of our sin.
God’s plan of salvation brings us into the good of Christ’s suffering, death, and victory. "For when we were yet without strength, in due time, Christ died for the ungodly" (Romans 5:6). "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).:)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
Once again, that all depends upon whom you ask. I believe that baptism is a sacred ordinanace which must be performed by one authorized by God to do so. It must also be performed in a specific way.
You would think so, wouldn't you? Yet, oddly enough, I, a Hindu, was taught to perform Christian Baptism.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Cynic said:
And how does this save?
Jesus said: I am the way the truth and the light. Noone comes to my father but through me.
Repentance: There are three Old Greek words used in the New Testament to that mean repentance. All three combine to make the meaning of pre Baptism repentance

Metanoeo,
meaning to change one's mind and purpose, as the result of after knowledge.
This verb, with (3) the cognate noun _metanoia_, is used of true repentance, a
change of mind and purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised
http://www.dictionary.com
Baptism is acceptance of God/Jesus' Teachings, and symbolic of being cleansed of the sins you have repented for.

Therefore Repentance + Baptism = Salvation (from a Christian standpoint).

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Seyorni said:
You would think so, wouldn't you? Yet, oddly enough, I, a Hindu, was taught to perform Christian Baptism.
Baptism is not sacred it is open to all in my experience. That was the purpose of Jesus coming to earth and dying. He opened up God's salvation to all, whereas in the 6-10,000 years prior to this it had been the exclusive domain of people born into the Jewish bloodline.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SnaleSpace said:
Baptism is not sacred it is open to all in my experience. That was the purpose of Jesus coming to earth and dying. He opened up God's salvation to all, whereas in the 6-10,000 years prior to this it had been the exclusive domain of people born into the Jewish bloodline.
I don't necessarily see "sacred" and "open to all" as being mutually exclusive.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
I don't necessarily see "sacred" and "open to all" as being mutually exclusive.
That is true, but would it not be difficult to keep something sacred if it is open to all? :sarcastic

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
michel said:
Salvation
Why do I need to be saved?
God leaves no doubt about our condition. While we set our standards of right and wrong by society's values, God’s standard is His own holiness. How do we measure up? "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). It is only fair that God demands holiness; that is how He first created mankind. We have rebelled against Him as a race and as individuals.
Our pathway away from God has brought its consequences. "The wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23a). The Bible compares sin to a cruel slave master. There is no mercy in suffering, no freedom from bondage, no lasting joy, no hope for the future. Most frightening is the final consequence of sin. The Bible warns that without God’s salvation, death is the doorway to eternal punishment (Hebrews 9:27).
It is from this that we need to be saved. From our own sin. From its bondage. From its consequences. "How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?" (Hebrews 2:3).
How does God say I can be saved?
God is holy and God is love. His holiness demands that our sin be punished in full. His love provides a way for us to be saved from this punishment. How is this possible? Someone was willing to suffer what we deserve. Our substitute had to be a sinless man, able to suffer the full wrath of God against our sin. The only one able to take our place was God’s Son.
The greatest display of God’s love unfolded as His Son left heaven to become a man. Born of a virgin 2000 years ago, the Lord Jesus Christ lived with His creation. He was unable to sin, yet He showed compassion to sinners all around Him. Men hated Christ because His holiness exposed their sinfulness. They decided to remove Him by crucifying Him. He willingly allowed them to nail Him to a cross of wood outside Jerusalem. They suspended Him so they could sit and watch Him die. The climax of God’s plan of salvation had arrived as God covered the earth with darkness. The Bible tells us that for three hours He laid on His Son the full punishment we deserve to receive for our sin. The darkness was broken when Jesus Christ called out with a loud voice, "It is finished". He had accomplished the mighty work, God’s great plan of salvation.
After three days in death, Christ Jesus rose from the dead. This is evidence to all who saw Him and to all who read God’s word that Christ’s suffering completely satisfied His father. He was victorious over death itself – the ultimate consequence of our sin.
God’s plan of salvation brings us into the good of Christ’s suffering, death, and victory. "For when we were yet without strength, in due time, Christ died for the ungodly" (Romans 5:6). "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).:)

Beautifully put.. ;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SnaleSpace said:
That is true, but would it not be difficult to keep something sacred if it is open to all? :sarcastic
Possibly. I do see where you're coming from.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
It's a thin path to tread, really. How do you keep religion seperate from worldly things while still trying to induct others with the purpose of salvation.

Aqualung

Tasty
SnaleSpace said:
Well, I can look at this a different way. Just because it's open to all, doesn't mean that everybody can have it. The invitation may be an open invitation, but only some will be capable of accepting it.

Cynic

SnaleSpace said:
Jesus said: I am the way the truth and the light. Noone comes to my father but through me.
Repentance: There are three Old Greek words used in the New Testament to that mean repentance. All three combine to make the meaning of pre Baptism repentance

Metanoeo,
meaning to change one's mind and purpose, as the result of after knowledge.
This verb, with (3) the cognate noun _metanoia_, is used of true repentance, a
change of mind and purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised

Baptism is acceptance of God/Jesus' Teachings, and symbolic of being cleansed of the sins you have repented for.

Therefore Repentance + Baptism = Salvation (from a Christian standpoint).
Ahhh. I like your response. I think I remember there being different words for repentance. One was true repentance, and the other was false repentance, a word used when they were refering to Judas.

So if Judas participated in the same things as the apostles, (I'm guessing that he was baptized also), there was something that set him apart from the others.
Didn't he believe that Jesus was the son of God also? Didn't he accept the teachings of Jesus? If not, why so?

Psychologically, a person's outwardly behavior can contradict their inner feelings and thoughts. In other words, you can "repent", but still not be repenting.

So, what is true repentance?

Next, what are you really being cleansed from? And if I have to keep on repenting because I sin continuously, then how was there any change?