• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Christian Moms Group Condemns Hallmark Channel for Airing Lesbian Wedding Ad"

JesusKnowsYou

Do you understand the concept of a "self fulfilling prophecy"? It is a form of extreme confirmation bias. A false test is set up where if they pass it they confirm your beliefs and if they fail it it confirms your beliefs. It is of no value. A rational way to test one's religion is with a test that it could conceivably fail. All religions can devise bogus tests that their religion passes. What is impressive is when an idea could conceivably fail but it does not.
Not everyone who attempts to overcome their weaknesses are able to.

That doesn't prove that they are not trying enough or that what I have shared is a lie.

Sometimes God gives us our weaknesses to struggle against our entire lives because that is what we need to improve.

JesusKnowsYou

We can find no reason to find objection to it. Nothing other than an ancient book--the Bible--that says "icky, kill them." A book that some dogmatically follow to the point of abandoning reason and logic, empathy and decency. A book, that though called "holy," has justified many of the worst atrocities and repressions in history. Becauase it's blindly following what "god said."
People try to use the Bible to justify atrocities.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Proving that you are lazy, incompetent and not actually interested in having a discussion.

Your objective is to shut discussion down.

No, I am interested in an actual discussion. And you really need to be mindful of the rules here.

You keep saying this and it is stupid.

Someone sharing their beliefs is not trying to force anything on anyone.

If I were to tell you that I believe that chocolate was the best flavor of ice cream, you would argue that I was trying to apply my belief on you?

You are being ridiculous and I have zero respect for you. You are a waste of time and effort.

No it is not. And that you won't let yourself understand it does not bode well for you. And if you were to argue that chocolate was the best flavor of ice cream I would point out that it is the best flavor for you, but not necessarily for everyone else. You are free to believe whatever you want. It is when one tries to export one's beliefs that one has to be careful. For example I will state that there was no Flood, that there were no Adam and Eve. I realize that when I do so I need much more than the Bible to support that claim.

And you appear to be angry because you have no rational response to my arguments.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, and I recall telling you that they were just as wrong as you were.

You all saw what you wanted to see, not what I actually read.
When several people see the same thing it tends to support the claim that the comparison existed. Thinking that "everyone else is wrong" rarely works out. You may not have meant to make that comparison, but you did.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What the hell are you talking about?

How does my answering your questions about my beliefs mean that I am trying to "control" or "force" anyone to do anything?

What I'm talking about is that these are not only your beliefs, they should be everyone's beliefs. Go back and read your posts. Virtually every statement is a statement of "fact". Everyone who's responded to you has pointed this out. You're not answering questions about your beliefs, you're not even stating beliefs, but making pronouncements.

JesusKnowsYou

What I'm talking about is that these are not only your beliefs, they should be everyone's beliefs. Go back and read your posts. Virtually every statement is a statement of "fact". Everyone who's responded to you has pointed this out. You're not answering questions about your beliefs, you're not even stating beliefs, but making pronouncements.
You asked me to share my beliefs and I did. I never said that they were anything more than my beliefs.

It would be impractical of you to demand that I say, "I believe..." at the beginning of every sentence, especially when the entire premise of my response was based on your questions regarding my beliefs.

If you mistook my sharing my beliefs and my desire that everyone adopt them as "pronouncements" then you are an idiot.

Plain and simple.

JesusKnowsYou

And do. Such as the CSA, where they believed themselves as enlightened for following gods word, unlike those northerners who are fooling themselves by wanting to end slavery.
I honestly do not believe that the Bible was their sole, or even main, reason for wanting slavery.

They wanted the easy big bucks.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You asked me to share my beliefs and I did. I never said that they were anything more than my beliefs.

It would be impractical of you to demand that I say, "I believe..." at the beginning of every sentence, especially when the entire premise of my response was based on your questions regarding my beliefs.

If you mistook my sharing my beliefs and my desire that everyone adopt them as "pronouncements" then you are an idiot.

Plain and simple.

I can almost overlook calling sexual orientation a “weakness” but comparing homosexuality and pedophilia? No, there’s no way to spin out of that one.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Anyone who equates words with violence is nonsensical.
Nevertheless, people psychologically damaging children by using their words are still causing damage to children.

And it isn't just the damage done to gay kids. I know some straight people who seriously regret damage they did to gay people, when they were young and stupid and believed what their homophobic authorities told them.
It's especially tragic when it's a family member who was the victim of the abuse.

No, I'm not saying that your beliefs are the same as sexual abuse of minors. But the similarities are there.
Tom

JesusKnowsYou

No, I am interested in an actual discussion. And you really need to be mindful of the rules here.
There is no reason to refuse to read someone's post due to it's length beyond your own laziness and incompetence.
No it is not. And that you won't let yourself understand it does not bode well for you. And if you were to argue that chocolate was the best flavor of ice cream I would point out that it is the best flavor for you, but not necessarily for everyone else.
Notice that you couldn't accuse me of trying to "force" my opinion on others.

I believe that homosexuality is sinful. My stating that belief does not force anything on anyone.
You are free to believe whatever you want.
Doesn't sound like I am if I'm not supposed to share those beliefs with anyone.

That's like saying, "You're free to leave whenever you want, as long as you don't go anywhere."
It is when one tries to export one's beliefs that one has to be careful.
What does "export one's beliefs" mean?
For example I will state that there was no Flood, that there were no Adam and Eve. I realize that when I do so I need much more than the Bible to support that claim.
I would claim that you don't. I would claim that you do not need to provide any supporting documentation or evidence to back up your belief that there was no Flood or that there was no Adam and Eve.

You can tell me as many times as you want that the Flood didn't happen or that Adam and Eve did not exist. That's fine.

You not only have the right to believe whatever you want for whatever reason, but you have the right to share it with others.

If, however, your goal was not to just share your beliefs, but you intended to attempt to convince others that your belief is true and accurate, then yes you would need to have supporting documentation or evidence.

Notice that I had no intention of trying to convince anyone of my beliefs. I just wanted to answer the questions posed to me. Share my beliefs and have them understood accurately.
And you appear to be angry because you have no rational response to my arguments.
Another lame excuse you try to use to avoid backing up your many false claims is attempt to claim that I have grown angry, like I am emotionally compromised.

JesusKnowsYou

Nevertheless, people psychologically damaging children by using their words are still causing damage to children.

And it isn't just the damage done to gay kids. I know some straight people who seriously regret damage they did to gay people, when they were young and stupid and believed what their homophobic authorities told them.
It's especially tragic when it's a family member who was the victim of the abuse.

No, I'm not saying that your beliefs are the same as sexual abuse of minors. But the similarities are there.
Tom
Nope. There is zero similarity.

You are applying experiences had by others to me.

You are claiming that I either fear or hate homosexuals based on nothing.

It is not abuse to share your beliefs.

What is abusive, in my opinion, is to teach children that someone disagreeing with them is "similar" to that person raping them.

You are being absolutely ridiculous.

JesusKnowsYou

You believe what you want. They believed as they wanted. And they believed the Bible allowed them to own slaves. And if you listen to their sermons on it, they were very convinced they were right.
Everything you say is true, however, I know that if there had been no easy money to be had in the practice of owning slaves, then no one would have owned any.

They may have tried to use the Bible to justify the practice - but they were motivated by greed.

I mean, c'mon, America was not the first country to have slaves. Slavery existed before Christianity and even the formation of the Bible.

The Bible did not create slavery - greed did.