• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Denominations?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Where is your Biblical evidence that God changed His 7th day Sabbath to Sunday the 1st day of the week because of the resurrection?
There is none. There doesn't have to be. Sola scriptura is a heretical practice only introduced after 1500 years of the church's existence. The apostles were given Divine authority to form and curate the church, and the Sunday celebration is part of that Divine oversight.

atpollard

There is none. There doesn't have to be. Sola scriptura is a heretical practice only introduced after 1500 years of the church's existence. The apostles were given Divine authority to form and curate the church, and the Sunday celebration is part of that Divine oversight.
That is a great answer!
I generally support Sola scriptura (sorry, I think what was written generally trumps 'traditions'), but it points out an important fact that EVERYTHING true isn't written down.
I lesson that I could stand to remember now and again.
Thanks for the reminder.

[One of the Letters talks about gathering money on the first day of the week, so I guess that the 7th day Adventists need to meet Saturday and Sunday ... at least while fundraising.] :)

Mr. Beebe

[One of the Letters talks about gathering money on the first day of the week, so I guess that the 7th day Adventists need to meet Saturday and Sunday ... at least while fundraising.] :)

You need to wake up. They didn't have mail back in those days. Whenever church news was given to the Believers,, it was given to them when they all met,,,on the 7th Day Sabbath!.... That's why they would gather funds and food and stuff on the 1st day...........Wake up!

atpollard

You need to wake up. They didn't have mail back in those days. Whenever church news was given to the Believers,, it was given to them when they all met,,,on the 7th Day Sabbath!.... That's why they would gather funds and food and stuff on the 1st day...........Wake up!

Acts 20:7 "On the first day of the week, we assembled to break bread. Paul spoke to them, and since he was about to depart the next day, he extended his message until midnight."

We assemble to break bread on the first day of the week, too.
Do you offer sacrament outside of the church service?

Romans 14:5-6 "One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. Whoever eats, eats for the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; and whoever does not eat, it is for the Lord that he does not eat it, yet he thanks God."

In my opinion, Romans says to avoid placing too much importance on any particular day (Saturday vs Sunday). The Lord (Jesus) is what matters.
What do you make of Romans?

1 Cor 16:1-2 "Now about the collection for the saints: You should do the same as I instructed the Galatian churches. On the first day of the week, each of you is to set something aside and save in keeping with how he prospers, so that no collections will need to be made when I come."

Why gather stuff EVERY first day? Unless they were meeting every first day, then the day they gathered together would be convenient for taking up regular collections.

Col 2:16-17 "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."

Seems to be saying, again, not to make too big a deal about specific days of the week.
What do YOU make of it.

Rev 1:10 "On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard ..."

What is the significance of renaming Sunday "the Lord's Day"?
It seems like it was an important day to the Apostle John.

If I were awake, I might speculate that the Apostles and early church considered the death and resurrection of Jesus to be an event of such overwhelming importance that they chose to honor God be renaming the day of His resurrection the Lord's Day and honoring God through the Sabbath on that day ... a tradition that continues to this day with those churches not bound too tightly to Old Testement legalism to celebrate the grace and freedom of the New Covenant.

(But since I am asleep, I await your enlightened illumination.) :)

Mr. Beebe

Acts 20:7 "On the first day of the week, we assembled to break bread. Paul spoke to them, and since he was about to depart the next day, he extended his message until midnight."

Are you serious? Acts 20:7 is your Biblical basis for changing God's immutable Law? Have you seriously examined Acts 20:7-11 and made sure you know what you are talking about? Let's examine that scripture:

Acts 20:7 has the disciples meeting to EAT and Paul was with them and spoke til midnight......So,, we know that it was dark. Right?

Acts 20:8 says there were many lamps lit. Is God making sure we know it was dark? I think so.

Acts 20:9 some guy falls out the window because he fell asleep,,,,,another clue it was late and dark.

Acts 20:10 Paul went down and embraced the guy and he lived.

Acts 20:11 has Paul remaining there, eating and talking,, and notice that Paul didn't leave until "daybreak".

Let's keep in mind, that God's days begin and end at the setting of the sun,,,,,not 12:00 midnight as we have all been cultured to think!

So,, this meeting actually took place on what our culture would call "Saturday Night" !!!!! You see,, the Sabbath (7th day) ended at sunset. Paul spoke all night long,,, and "departed" at daybreak on what we would call Sunday Morning at around 6:00am or 7:00am. So,, while many believe Paul was Observing Sunday,,he was actually traveling. Nothing in those scriptures suggest a "worship" service". The Sabbath had just ended,, when they met to eat on the 1st day of the week,, shortly after the sun had set!

So,, I sure hope you study into this and change your position. I will address the other scriptures as well. But,, if you can't see your error in Acts 20:7-11 you won't see any other errors either and I know I will be wasting my time. No offense, but I"ve been doing this a long time. I know how it works.

sojourner

That is a great answer!
I generally support Sola scriptura (sorry, I think what was written generally trumps 'traditions'), but it points out an important fact that EVERYTHING true isn't written down.
I lesson that I could stand to remember now and again.
Thanks for the reminder.

The bible is part of that "tradition."

sojourner

Except that they didn't meet on the 7th day after they were thrown out of the synagogues.

sojourner

That's right,,, So,, I will keep the 7th day as the 4th Commandment plainly states.
You conveniently forgot to mention the rest of my post where it is clearly and irrefutably explained why such mention Is. Not. Necessary.

BTW: do you also keep the coomsndment that requires you to refrain from eating shellfish and wearing poly-cotton blends? What about the one that requires bond slavery?

Mr. Beebe

Rev 1:10 "On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard ..."

Again,,, there is nothing in this scripture that says Sunday, the 1st day of the week is the "lord's day",, absolutely nothing,, So,, you are making that up,,, nothing there says the Lords day is the 1st day of the week..... There is only one day that God has both hallowed and blessed,, and that is the 7th day, His Sabbath.

Mr. Beebe

Except that they didn't meet on the 7th day after they were thrown out of the synagogues.

lol,,,,I say, that God made sure and left us over 80 examples of the early church both Jew & Gentile observing the 7th day Sabbath in the Book of Acts.. You just haven't studied into it.. But I have.

atpollard

Are you serious? Acts 20:7 is your Biblical basis for changing God's immutable Law? Have you seriously examined Acts 20:7-11 and made sure you know what you are talking about? Let's examine that scripture:

Acts 20:7 has the disciples meeting to EAT and Paul was with them and spoke til midnight......So,, we know that it was dark. Right?

Acts 20:8 says there were many lamps lit. Is God making sure we know it was dark? I think so.

Acts 20:9 some guy falls out the window because he fell asleep,,,,,another clue it was late and dark.

Acts 20:11 has Paul remaining there, eating and talking,, and notice that Paul didn't leave until "daybreak".

Let's keep in mind, that God's days begin and end at the setting of the sun,,,,,not 12:00 midnight as we have all been cultured to think!

So,, this meeting actually took place on what our culture would call "Saturday Night" !!!!! You see,, the Sabbath (7th day) ended at sunset. Paul spoke all night long,,, and "departed" at daybreak on what we would call Sunday Morning at around 6:00am or 7:00am. So,, while many believe Paul was Observing Sunday,,he was actually traveling. Nothing in those scriptures suggest a "worship" service". The Sabbath had just ended,, when they met to eat on the 1st day of the week,, shortly after the sun had set!

So,, I sure hope you study into this and change your position. I will address the other scriptures as well. But,, if you can't see your error in Acts 20:7-11 you won't see any other errors either and I know I will be wasting my time. No offense, but I"ve been doing this a long time. I know how it works.
Just to set the record clear, I am not proposing ANY verse that commands a change of sabbath.
Don't waste time attempting to refute those verses from that perspective.

I see those verses as supporting the extra-biblical tradition that we are not bound by the Law as a straightjacket.
To view it in any other light is indeed a waste of your time.

Mr. Beebe

BTW: do you also keep the coomsndment that requires you to refrain from eating shellfish and wearing poly-cotton blends? What about the one that requires bond slavery?

I keep the 10 Commandments and have faith that Jesus is my Redeemer. I also adhere to God's dietary laws. As far your poly-cotton nonsense. We know that Jesus is now our Sacrifice and High priest. so,, those Ceremonial laws that regulated the priesthood are no longer binding.

sojourner

No. It's obvious that you DON'T know. If you really understood the cultural setting, you'd know that the earliest Christians met to share the Lords Supper. And they modeled it after the Roman Symposium -- the "dinner party" that lasted hours and hours, usually until daybreak. At the meal, a special guest would offer presentations. It's actually quite possible that the symposium would begin in the afternoon and go all night. Acts illustrates that quite well. The disciples met on the first day for worship --modeled after the symposium -- and carried on all night. Lamps would have been lit all day, for the rooms were most likely windowless in that place and quite dark.
Do your historic and archeological homework before sticking your foot in your mouth.

Mr. Beebe

I see those verses as supporting the extra-biblical tradition that we are not bound by the Law as a straightjacket.

This is what I think. God gave us a Sabbath and Satan set us up a counterfeit. One is the Seal of God,, and the other is the Mark of the Beast.

So,, you do as you see fit.

sojourner

lol,,,,I say, that God made sure and left us over 80 examples of the early church both Jew & Gentile observing the 7th day Sabbath in the Book of Acts.. You just haven't studied into it.. But I have.
89 hours of graduate bible study trumps your "study." Sorry. Yes, the disciples did meet on the Judaic Sabbath at first. But it wasn't long until they began meeting on the first day.

Mr. Beebe

Lamps would have been lit all day,

Paul spoke until midnight, saith the scripture,,,, and you say No,, it was light out?

The scripture says Paul spoke a long while,, til DAYBREAK,,,but you say,,No,,, there were no windows?

Sr/mam,,, I do believe you are a Bible rejector...

sojourner

I keep the 10 Commandments and have faith that Jesus is my Redeemer. I also adhere to God's dietary laws. As far your poly-cotton nonsense. We know that Jesus is now our Sacrifice and High priest. so,, those Ceremonial laws that regulated the priesthood are no longer binding.
This wasn't a "ceremonial law." IOW, you insist on rigid interpretations and observances, but you get to pick and choose which ones.

Mr. Beebe

89 hours of graduate bible study trumps your "study." Sorry. Yes, the disciples did meet on the Judaic Sabbath at first. But it wasn't long until they began meeting on the first day.

The 4th commandment says to Honor God by keeping His 7th day Sabbath... The Head of the Catholic church says to forget that and keep sunday.

So,you do as you desire, but as for me and my house,,,we shall obey the Lord.