• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China warns US pushing to brink of a new Cold War

Should we view China as a friend or an enemy of the United States?

• Friend

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Enemy

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Notanumber

A Free Man
That was probably true in the past. But the balance of power in the world has changed.
Today the USA it fighting exceedingly hard to try to. Stand still.
Allies of America are setting themselves up as targets. That if attacked, America could not or would not defend.

Knowing what we know now, where would we be without the current US Administration?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I might blame a decision made long ago that allows so many to bear arms as having some influence - but that might just be crap of course.

The only reason I wouldn't consider that a factor is because we had it in place for a good 150 years before our ruling class decided to make America into an international warmonger.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That of course makes not a penny worth's difference when dealing with China.
China would never start a land war with the USA. And the USA would be foolish indeed to think it could survive a land war in China.
War is not the answer for either country. At the first sign of war China would eliminate the American fleet. Using its Long range super fast missile System which it is reported can reach anywhere in the world. And at seven times the speed of sound are too fast to intercept. Large slow super carriers would not have a chance.
American war games have shown that they would lose any such conflict.

"Long range super fast missile System which it is reported can reach anywhere in the world"? I didn't even think that ICBMs could reach anywhere in the world, and I believe their speed was 10,000 mph. However, I'm not sure that the ability to intercept is completely out of the question, as that's what the SDI (aka "Star Wars") was supposed to do.

We don't have an ABM Treaty anymore, so theoretically, they could design and build a missile system to intercept any offensive missiles coming from China. If we had the ability to intercept ICBMs at 10,000 mph, then why wouldn't we be able to intercept missiles going slower than that?

A lot of it might also depend on what Russia could do, which is why it's incredibly foolish for our government to antagonize the Russians. If we're not careful, we could have both former superpowers allied against us. That's what those war games demonstrated, since the scenario assumed both China and Russia allied against us. But if we had Russia on our side against China, then we could win.

(I guess those war games would also demonstrate that our European allies would be next to useless in such a conflict.)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That of course makes not a penny worth's difference when dealing with China.
China would never start a land war with the USA. And the USA would be foolish indeed to think it could survive a land war in China.
War is not the answer for either country. At the first sign of war China would eliminate the American fleet. Using its Long range super fast missile System which it is reported can reach anywhere in the world. And at seven times the speed of sound are too fast to intercept. Large slow super carriers would not have a chance.
American war games have shown that they would lose any such conflict.

I'm sure there are sensible minds in both the USA and China. My comment was more about how the acceptance of personal weapons in the USA seems to mirror their stance as a country, and being so well-armed compared to others - although that does vary, as the article linked showed.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting article, although it didn't say their missiles had the ability to strike anywhere in the world. It said their range was about 1500 km, and it also stressed that "China’s military is now making giant strides toward replacing the United States as the supreme power in Asia."

Not the entire world, just in Asia, which is no great surprise. China has already been the dominant power in Asia.

China’s growing missile arsenal hasn’t yet been proven in a real-world clash, and some Chinese officials play down their advances. But under the Trump administration, Washington has come to view China as a rival determined to displace the United States in Asia. This modern-day missile gap, the administration believes, is emerging as one of the biggest dangers to American military supremacy in Asia since the end of the Cold War. The Pentagon is now scrambling for new weapons and strategies to counter the PLA's rocket arsenal.

“We know that China has the most advanced ballistic missile force in the world,” said James Fanell, a retired U.S. Navy captain and former senior intelligence officer with the U.S. Pacific Fleet. “They have the capacity to overwhelm the defensive systems we are pursuing.”

Fanell was sidelined by the Pentagon ahead of his 2015 retirement, after warning about the Chinese build-up at a time when President Barack Obama was seeking cooperation with Beijing. Today, Pentagon policy hews more closely to his views that China intends to displace the United States as Asia’s dominant power.

Interesting that the U.S. Navy captain was sidelined after warning about the Chinese build-up at a time when Obama was seeking cooperation with Beijing. Yet Obama and his crowd are the ones who are screaming that the sky is falling in regards to the Russians. But instead of viewing the Russians as a threat, we should have been looking more closely at the Chinese.

It also proves that sucking up to the Chinese does no good at all. They're still hostile no matter how "nice" or "mean" our government might be towards them. They were plotting and building these weapons long before Trump ever came on the scene.

Tambourine

Try Wikipedia.
Free World - Wikipedia
The Free World is a propaganda term primarily used during the Cold War to refer to the Western Bloc[1]. More broadly, it has also been used to refer to all non-communist countries. It has traditionally primarily been used to refer to the countries allied and aligned with the United States and those affiliated with international organizations such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the European Union (EU). Critics pointed out the contradiction between the use of the term and the fact of its being applied to all NATO members even at times when some of them were ruled by military dictatorships (Turkey, Greece, Portugal) as well as to various anti-Communist dictatorial regimes closely allied to the US.
I'm guessing your "Free World" includes the fascist Salazar regime and the military dictatorship in Greece, but not democratic India, Austria or Switzerland, correct?

Tambourine

Interesting article, although it didn't say their missiles had the ability to strike anywhere in the world. It said their range was about 1500 km, and it also stressed that "China’s military is now making giant strides toward replacing the United States as the supreme power in Asia."

Not the entire world, just in Asia, which is no great surprise. China has already been the dominant power in Asia.

Interesting that the U.S. Navy captain was sidelined after warning about the Chinese build-up at a time when Obama was seeking cooperation with Beijing. Yet Obama and his crowd are the ones who are screaming that the sky is falling in regards to the Russians. But instead of viewing the Russians as a threat, we should have been looking more closely at the Chinese.

It also proves that sucking up to the Chinese does no good at all. They're still hostile no matter how "nice" or "mean" our government might be towards them. They were plotting and building these weapons long before Trump ever came on the scene.
Now that the US has effectively become a Russian ally in the fight against progressivism and liberalism since Trump took power, I guess it also makes sense for them to align with the Putin regime against other rival blocs, such as China or the EU.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

That particular article covered their long range missiles suitable for protecting their Asian interests. But not their ICBM capability which is most likely more modern and more capable than that of either Russia or the USA as it was not restricted by international agreements as they were.

When you look at its trade with Australia. India, and the middle East. And the entire continent of Africa. Where's it is developing the entire infrastructure of entire regions.
You will see that China's interests are far greater than the East.

You will also realise that is is becoming the largest outside investor in the UK and Europe.

I read an interesting article at the weekends about Huawei. Who Trump is desperate to neutralise.
As you know Trump is trying to stop the UK using Huawei's 5 G Technology. However a majority of the fibre cabinets used for our broadband network is theirs. As are a majority of the 4G aerials and equipment. For them to convert this equipment to 5G only requires revising the firmware and adding a new aerial module. A task that can be done with a cherry picker in very short order.
For the UK to use competitors equipment requires removing the entire Huawei 4 G structure and starting from scratch. A massively more expensive and difficult task. Especially as this would entail also replacing the 4G equipment. As a 4G network will still be needed for many years.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I'm sure there are sensible minds in both the USA and China. My comment was more about how the acceptance of personal weapons in the USA seems to mirror their stance as a country, and being so well-armed compared to others - although that does vary, as the article linked showed.

The sensible minds are not in power in the USA.
However for all its massive arms the USA is no longer capable of winning even local wars in the middle East. Afghanistan was far more than it could chew. And Iraq has proved fruitless. While Iran is just a stand off.

It is true that it has managed to financially ruin Venezuela. By using embargo's. But how anyone thinks that that will benefit the USA is just fantasy.

Ponder This

China warns US pushing relations to 'brink of new Cold War'

The foreign minister said that the US was "stigmatizing China" and said they will cooperate with the international scientific community to investigate the source of the virus.

He also mentioned a "political virus" in the US.

Has the US view on China changed as a result of this?

I'll admit that, personally, I supported better relations with China during the Cold War. We took advantage of the Sino-Soviet rift, and formed a temporary alliance of convenience against a common adversary. Since that time, China has ostensibly become more open and capitalistic. US political and business leaders were very much in favor with opening up more trade ties with China, and there was a lot more travel between the countries. It appeared that with greater contact, commerce, cultural exchange, and interaction, we were forming stronger bonds with China and developing a friendship.

But there were some people I had known throughout my life who were still mistrustful of China. They still saw them in Cold War terms, and remnants of that overall mindset never really went away. Now, there are those who seem to want to stoke that mindset again.

I'm not entirely sure how they view the US, whether they're just judging us by Trump or if they think a new wave of Cold Warriors is coming about in the US.

Have your views on China changed over the past 10, 20, or 30 years? For those who might still remember the Cold War, do you still see China in the same way as they were under Mao? Should we view China as an enemy or a friend? Or neither?

For nearly all of the past 30 years, US opinion of China has been unfavorable.
a18k6xrjk0w5ik59kxc0ra.png

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
For nearly all of the past 30 years, US opinion of China has been unfavorable.
a18k6xrjk0w5ik59kxc0ra.png

So what is driving these statistics?
It is certainly not reflected in what people actually spend their money on.
Nor is it reflected in where companies choose to do business.

Perhaps it is to do with the political spin coming from government and the media.

Either way the American people are totally conflicted.
There actions show one thing, while their opinions show another.

Ponder This

So what is driving these statistics?
It is certainly not reflected in what people actually spend their money on.
Nor is it reflected in where companies choose to do business.

Perhaps it is to do with the political spin coming from government and the media.

Either way the American people are totally conflicted.
There actions show one thing, while their opinions show another.

Friendship (or lack of friendship) goes both ways. Only 44% of Chinese view the US favorably.
How do Chinese and American people really feel about each other?
Another poll puts it at 48% unfavorable view of the US.
China05.png

And it's not just a lack of friendship between the US and China. There many countries world-wide who don't view China favorably and whom the Chinese do not view favorably.
So if it is political spin, then it's political spin inside China as well as inside every other major nation of the world.
The Chinese view seems to be that other countries are trying to limit their growth towards becoming the dominant world power, but the view of others seems to be that China is actively seeking world domination.

And... the popular global opinion is that China should not be the dominant power.
FT_18.10.19_ChinaViews_Chinasincreasingglobal.png

Why?

It's hard to trust (build friendship with) a nation that engages in behaviors such as currency manipulation, human rights abuses, corruption, and misinformation.
There have been a lot of international incidents in which China doesn't play fair and I'm guessing that people generally speaking don't feel they can trust China to behave both responsibly and fairly.