• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China Places Country Dangerously Close To US Warship

lukethethird

unknown member
The analogy suffers one big problem....
Taiwan isn't a "breakaway state". It's long been
a separate country resulting from revolution
that approaches a century in age.
Moreover, China itself would be the "breakaway
state" because it was the one who revolted against
the government that is now in Taiwan.
This is naught but conquest by China, much like
Russia invading Ukraine.
So if China sent battleships to the USA coastline for whatever discrepancy there happened to be, the US would make sure that they would be afforded safe passage?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So if China sent battleships to the USA coastline for whatever discrepancy there happened to be, the US would make sure that they would be afforded safe passage?
If the Chinese battleships were in international
waters near USA, they'd be surveilled & criticized.
There's the difference in behavior though, ie, China
has actually attacked US craft by dangerous "buzzing",
& even destruction, eg, Hainan Island incident.

US has interest in defending allies against Chinese
aggression, eg, Australia, Japan, Taiwan. What
reason would China have to patrol international
waters & airspace near USA....defending Mexico
or Canuckistan? Doing so would have a very
different meaning.

lukethethird

unknown member
If the Chinese battleships were in international
waters near USA, they'd be surveilled & criticized.
There's the difference in behavior though, ie, China
has actually attacked US craft by dangerous "buzzing",
& even destruction, eg, Hainan Island incident.

US has interest in defending allies against Chinese
aggression, eg, Australia, Japan, Taiwan. What
reason would China have to patrol international
waters & airspace near USA....defending Mexico
or Canuckistan? Doing so would have a very
different meaning.
Who says China plans to attack Taiwan besides western mainstream media's talking heads, and why do you believe the propaganda?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@lukethethird, to answer your aborted post....
I say that China prepares to invade Taiwan.
This is based on the their military expansion,
especially ground forces, their exercises near
Taiwan, & their strongly stated intent to make
it part of China.
In short....
Duh!

Oh, I see your post has returned, & in a more
readable format. Good. Already answered.

As for "propaganda", I think you're the one
buying China's. Zhen huai!

lukethethird

unknown member
it part of China.
In short....
Duh!
Perhaps China's military operations are in response to US forces surrounding their country. duh!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like the US seizing Hawaii?
Policies here have changed since the 1800s.
Unlike Russia & China, we've long since
ended military conquest for the purpose
of acquisition to expand the empire.

Similarly, I don't base my judgment of China's
intentions based upon their being descendants
of Genghis Khan. It pays to consider only
currently relevant factors.

US navy ships are over there, just think for a moment of the reverse, if China's navy ships were within a hundred miles off the US coast because China decided they were going to defend a breakaway state. Puting the shoe on the other foot should be a means of viewing what is going on. What is the US doing meddling in other countries affairs and repeating that it is China that is the aggressor? If China's ships were off the coast of the US I would say that they are the aggressors, but their ships are in there own waters, how is that aggressive? Who is provoking who?

Meh, countries do this kind of thing all of the time.

The idea that China, Russia, etc. are jolly nice chaps who just want to live in peace and harmony but nasty Americans keep thwarting their noble attempts to create a utopian paradise is silly.

Powerful countries act in accordance with what they perceive as their national interest. Frequently, this annoys other countries who have differing interests.

China likes to bully, intimidate and project its power in the region just as America does.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Similarly, I don't base my judgment of China's
intentions based upon their being descendants
of Genghis Khan. It pays to consider only
currently relevant factors.

Good, because you can't.
First, to pretty much all Chinese (Han Chinese that is) Genghis Khan is not Chinese, he's a Mongolian (He is Ménggǔ rén not a Zhōngguó rén)

Second, until Xi Jinping, The Chinese Government was not interested in empire building or getting very involved in or invading anything it did see as once being part of China throughout its dynastic history

Third, also not until Xi, China was continually miffed at the US because they simply could not figure out why the USA would care or get involved in the business of another country, As far as Beijing was concerned other countries where none of the USA's business

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good, because you can't.
First, to pretty much all Chinese (Han Chinese that is) Genghis Khan is not Chinese, he's a Mongolian (He is Ménggǔ rén not a Zhōngguó rén)
I dint say he was Chinese.
I spoke of his influence...incorporation into China.
So he's part of their history.

Second, until Xi Jinping, The Chinese Government was not interested in empire building or getting very involved in or invading anything it did see as once being part of China throughout its dynastic history
China's fervent claim on Taiwan
& Tibet preceded Xi.
Third, also not until Xi, China was continually miffed at the US because they simply could not figure out why the USA would care or get involved in the business of another country, As far as Beijing was concerned other countries where none of the USA's business
Xi's miffedness isn't based on not understanding.
Rather he sees USA as a competitor.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The idea that China, Russia, etc. are jolly nice chaps who just want to live in peace and harmony but nasty Americans keep thwarting their noble attempts to create a utopian paradise is silly.

I don't think anyone has been saying that, but very often, one can hear similarly silly ideas being put forth by the U.S., such as Americans being "defenders of freedom" and other countries being "evil empires" or "axes of evil." Now that's silly. It would be a lot easier to take Western governments more seriously if they didn't spread it on so thick so often.

One can also look at our respective track records. The U.S., at one time or another, has sent military troops to both China and Russia for hostile purposes, although they have never done the same for the U.S. (nor is there any indication that they ever really wanted to). We've always been more of a threat to their national territory and interests than they ever were a threat to us.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The U.S., at one time or another, has sent military troops to both China.....
Are you thinking of when US airmen based in China defended China?
and Russia.....
When was this?

We've always been more of a threat to their national territory and interests than they ever were a threat to us.
Like our threat to Russian territories like Ukraine,
& Chinese territory like the S China Sea (which
means contiguous countries like Philippines &
Vietnam have lesser claim to waters off their shores?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I dint say he was Chinese.
I spoke of his influence...incorporation into China.
So he's part of their history.

Calm down thier skippy, I'm kind of supporting your argument...I know it is as much as a surprise to me as it is you...but relax and take it easy

China's fervent claim on Taiwan
& Tibet preceded Xi.

I know that, and that is pretty much what I was saying...kinda...pre Xi the would not call the claim on Taiwan "fervent". Beijing pretty much was in control of Taiwan for years, and could be again as of 2024...why do you think I mentioned here and in other posts...all depends on who wins the Taiwan presidential election in 2024

Xi's miffedness isn't based on not understanding.
Rather he sees USA as a competitor.

Was not talking about Xi being miffed.."not until Xi" means PRE-Xi...... before Xi....you know, when Xi was not in charge. Since Xi, that has changed to much more adversarial

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you thinking of when US airmen based in China defended China?

No, I was thinking of the Boxer Rebellion, the patrols on the Yangtze River, and US forces involved in China during their Civil War.

But yeah, we did support and help China against the Japanese in WW2.

When was this?

Ha! Shows how much you know.

Like our threat to Russian territories like Ukraine,
& Chinese territory like the S China Sea (which
means contiguous countries like Philippines &
Vietnam have lesser claim to waters off their shores?

The places you're talking about are far, far away from U.S. territory, so my point stands. Their territory is more directly threatened by us than anything that can be said about the reverse.

lukethethird

unknown member
it part of China.
In short....
Duh!

Oh, I see your post has returned, & in a more
readable format. Good. Already answered.

As for "propaganda", I think you're the one
buying China's. Zhen huai!
The claim is that the US navy is far away in the China Seas but it is China that is the aggressor. It really shouldn't take a lot of thought to put two and two together.

Audie

Veteran Member
That article and my question is sarcasm. US navy ships are over there, just think for a moment of the reverse, if China's navy ships were within a hundred miles off the US coast because China decided they were going to defend a breakaway state. Puting the shoe on the other foot should be a means of viewing what is going on. What is the US doing meddling in other countries affairs and repeating that it is China that is the aggressor? If China's ships were off the coast of the US I would say that they are the aggressors, but their ships are in there own waters, how is that aggressive? Who is provoking who?
Freedom of navigation in international
waters near the USA has never been contested.

Anyone can dri e their boats around as they
please.

This is so all around the world thanks to the US Navy.

Which gets the expensive tiresome and dangerous job
of keeping sea lanes open despite the noise from
bad actors.

And ideological hacks who don't know what is actually going on.