• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China might be in big trouble

Heyo

Veteran Member
Isn't it about time to leave all things Trump
somewhere in the smoke along the travcs?
He has shown that a lame duck can still be dangerous. Let's give him the three weeks he still has and then forget about him.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If we are talking food waste, here in the US and I imagine most places the problem isn't with average people's overconsumption. The problem is with wasteful distribution channels. Most of our food loss is on grocery store floors. Things that don't look pristine on shelves get thrown away even if it's still good food. Literal tones of food go to waste because of shelf loss because of long shipping channels making locally unavailable food available.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If we are talking food waste, here in the US and I imagine most places the problem isn't with average people's overconsumption. The problem is with wasteful distribution channels. Most of our food loss is on grocery store floors. Things that don't look pristine on shelves get thrown away even if it's still good food. Literal tones of food go to waste because of shelf loss because of long shipping channels making locally unavailable food available.
I don't know the exact numbers so I won't contend your claim. But one of the top problems is over production and "price optimization". I.e. food gets destroyed by the farmers because their income is higher if they sell less for more. Iirc it is about 30% in the EU.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know the exact numbers so I won't contend your claim. But one of the top problems is over production and "price optimization". I.e. food gets destroyed by the farmers because their income is higher if they sell less for more. Iirc it is about 30% in the EU.
Here it's closer to 20% because of the absolute bonkers amount of retail grocery stores we have here. I live within easy walking distance of four grocery stores and I'm not even in a city. Which means way more food than my community needs is being bought by retailers to rot on shelves.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Ah, yeah, best to keep a eye on him a little longer.
I'm not going to tell you "told you so" because this is not what I was expecting. But out of context my cryptic post could be seen as eerily prophetic.