• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China: Man intentionally drives into crowd. Kills 6

danieldemol

Premium Member
Ah. So your stand is that it is OK to ban something that is used to kill few, but being just fine with something that kills hundreds of times more---because you like your car?

Gotcha.
No you didn’t get me, I said its because we need cars, not because we like/want them, if they were purely a like only they would have already been banned

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No you didn’t get me, I said its because we need cars, not because we like/want them, if they were purely a like only they would have already been banned
They are convenient, but in many cities they actually aren't needed due to the availability of other transportation methods. And, indeed, many people get by without one.

danieldemol

Premium Member
They are convenient, but in many cities they actually aren't needed due to the availability of other transportation methods. And, indeed, many people get by without one.
Even in those cities you would still find tradespeople and other types who do need a car

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
See post 106
And? People's screwed up priorities and failure to notice larger trends and bigger pictures isn't my problem. Guns are designed to hurt and kill. Cars aren't. And, realistically, people probably wouldn't be talking much had someone killed 6 people with a car or gun. Most gun deaths get zero media and public attention.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Intention does count for a lot. Cars aren't designed to destroy. Dynamite is.
Truly, however, we are not nearly as strict as we should be when it comes to driving. There is a clear and present case of public safety at hand, and too many people who have demonstrated they are unfit for driving yet they are allowed to legally do so. Drunk driving, for example, should be a crime that brings harsh, unyielding, and unwavering consequences, but so very often they get barely a slap on the wrist in comparison to the potential for risk great and severe harm they put others at. If someone becomes a habitual traffic offender, there should be no possibility for them to get their license back.
Lol, it is destruction now. Is there any system behind this thought or are you just making it up as you go along in an attempt to justify what you like and what you don't. I would be curious to hear your actual thoughts after you have taken time and put effort in them.

Curious George

Veteran Member
You apparently aren't because you completely ignored them. Or is it a comprehension issue given juvenile jabs and dismissals are what you resort to?
There was no juvenile jab in there. Maybe a dismissal, but a justifiable one after you dodged the point.

If you don't believe me there is not much I can do about that.

Cheers

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Hardly. The car has been weaponized for a long time now.
Yes. And if we compare the number of times cars are used as a weapon, vs the number of times they are used for lawful means, then compare THAT comparison with the comparison of the number of times firearms are used lawfully with the number of times THEY'RE used as a weapon, the strawman becomes obvious.

But please, do continue your willful misunderstanding and trying to construct some semblance of an argument from out of context, cherry picked examples.

dianaiad

Not really, no.

Yes, really, it is the same thing. It's precisely the same thing.

No, I understood your point just fine. That's how I know it was a strawman.

Ah.

No, I don't think so. My point, you see, wasn't about birds or guns. It was about how it seems perfectly acceptable to pull this sort of thing against a debate opponent, and only becomes a 'strawman' when someone uses it against you.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Yes, really, it is the same thing. It's precisely the same thing.
It's really not, but even if it was, so what? How does that effect anything we're discussing?
Ah.

No, I don't think so. My point, you see, wasn't about birds or guns. It was about how it seems perfectly acceptable to pull this sort of thing against a debate opponent, and only becomes a 'strawman' when someone uses it against you.
Yes, I understood that, and your point is invalid as the comparison is so utterly inappropriate, it's a strawman.