• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China: Man intentionally drives into crowd. Kills 6

danieldemol

Premium Member
In Melbourne they put concrete barriers between roads and the sidewalk in busy areas to prevent that kind of thing

suncowiam

You mean, nobody is screaming 'BAN CARS?"

If the same person decided to kill people in the same area with a gun. How many people do you think he will be able to kill before police is able to kill him. Not to mention him being able to defend himself from police.

My guess is that it's definitely more than six.

We Never Know

No Slack
If the same person decided to kill people in the same area with a gun. How many people do you think he will be able to kill before police is able to kill him. Not to mention him being able to defend himself from police.

My point with this thread was simple. He used a car to kill 6 people and no one really sees it as a big deal. If he used a gun to kill those people it would have been a big deal just because a gun was used.

suncowiam

My point with this thread was simple. He used a car to kill 6 people and no one really sees it as a big deal. If he used a gun to kill those people it would have been a big deal just because a gun was used.

Of course it's a big deal but when we normalize it with statistics, automobiles used for murder is still far less than guns used for murder. And if you don't understand what I mean by normalize, well then, it's a mathematical term to help reflect the actual weight of the subject in specific categories.

So, is your point to make cars the same as guns? If someone can kill a person with a bat, of course we should care, but does that mean we equate a bat the same as a gun?

dianaiad

That doesn't really hold with history, y'know. Look at the mass shootings we have experienced, especially those in which the shooter was shot, himself.

Just how many of those shooters 'took out,' the police who came to get him? How many of those shooters kept killing after the initial events, and after the cops came?

I'll wait for you to do some investigation for yourself, since you won't accept anything I say about it, I'm sure.

However, I WILL give you a hint: in the last century, world wide, the number is considerably less than six.

suncowiam

That doesn't really hold with history, y'know. Look at the mass shootings we have experienced, especially those in which the shooter was shot, himself.

Just how many of those shooters 'took out,' the police who came to get him? How many of those shooters kept killing after the initial events, and after the cops came?

I'll wait for you to do some investigation for yourself, since you won't accept anything I say about it, I'm sure.

However, I WILL give you a hint: in the last century, world wide, the number is considerably less than six.

I'm not talking about murdering police.

I'm taking about civilians. The comparison was about how many people a person can kill with a car versus a gun. The point about the police, is that the same person can better defend himself from the police with a gun as opposed to a car.

And yes, I listened to everything you said.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No. it's not the isolated incident but the ongoing slaughter unique to the USA. The following is just one example of the "everyone should have a loaded gun" worship. And given the ever rising tide of white nationalist terrorists the problem will get worse.

54432286_2641305409295830_3497149744646455296_n.jpg

suncowiam

No. it's not the isolated incident but the ongoing slaughter unique to the USA. The following is just one example of the "everyone should have a loaded gun" worship. And given the ever rising tide of white nationalist terrorists the problem will get worse.

54432286_2641305409295830_3497149744646455296_n.jpg

@We Never Know

This is a great post acknowledging statistics to paint the reality of guns. People in Japan probably should have more fear of cars than guns. But they already have some of the strictest gun control.

Guns and cars are not the same in any society. Guns are not the same in respective societies either. We deal with each issue individually. Guns in the US is statistically one of our worst issues simply put.

We Never Know

No Slack
@We Never Know

This is a great post acknowledging statistics to paint the reality of guns. People in Japan probably should have more fear of cars than guns. But they already have some of the strictest gun control.

Guns and cars are not the same in any society. Guns are not the same in respective societies either. We deal with each issue individually. Guns in the US is statistically one of our worst issues simply put.

Hmm. Including homicide and suicide

U.S. comes in at 46 of 108. Japan at 35

List of countries by intentional death rate - Wikipedia

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The difference is that the benefit of cars in civilian hands outweigh the human cost. Cars are dangerous by accident, not by design.

We Never Know

No Slack
The difference is that the benefit of cars in civilian hands outweigh the human cost. Cars are dangerous by accident, not by design.

I've owned guns all my life and not one of my guns have killed anyone, same as my vehicles.
If a person wants to kill someone they will find a way. We have a people problem.

Let's say you ban guns. Then every one starts using knifes, let's ban knifes. Then everyone uses ??, let's ban ??.

We need to address it's a people problem.

danieldemol

Premium Member
My point with this thread was simple. He used a car to kill 6 people and no one really sees it as a big deal
Lol it is all over the news and just like after a similar incident in Melbourne the government will spend masses of money car-proofing popular walkways and you say no one sees it as a big deal when factually the complete opposite is true

danieldemol

Premium Member
I've owned guns all my life and not one of my guns have killed anyone, same as my vehicles.
If a person wants to kill someone they will find a way. We have a people problem.

Let's say you ban guns. Then every one starts using knifes, let's ban knifes. Then everyone uses ??, let's ban ??.

What practical method do you use to address this "people problem"?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
So what?

And by allowing easy access to guns you enable those problem people to kill others with relative ease. There is no rational reason for any civilian to have the means to murder by the score.

Most knives in civilian hands are not designed as weapons. And while it's possible to kill someone with a steak knife, it's much harder to kill fifty.

Correct. And the first thing to do would be to limit Joe Sociopath's access to AR-15 and other such weapons. If people are such a problem, why in Hades would you give them such access?