• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China demands that Trump veto Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
China demands Trump veto bills on Hong Kong

China on Thursday demanded President Donald Trump veto legislation aimed at supporting human rights in Hong Kong and renewed a threat to take “strong countermeasures” if the bills become law.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act undermined both China’s interests and those of the U.S. in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

“We urge the U.S. to grasp the situation, stop its wrongdoing before it's too late, prevent this act from becoming law (and) immediately stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs and China's internal affairs,” Geng said at a daily news briefing.

“If the U.S. continues to make the wrong moves, China will be taking strong countermeasures for sure,” Geng said.

Foreign Minister Wang Yi joined in the criticism, telling visiting former U.S. Defense Secretary William Cohen that the legislation constituted an act of interference in China’s internal affairs and ignored violent acts committed by protesters.

“This bill sends the wrong signal to those violent criminals and its substance seeks to throw Hong Kong into chaos or even to destroy Hong Kong outright,” Wang said.

Well, it looks like we really stepped in it now. We made some "wrong moves."

Trump hasn't yet said whether he'll sign or veto the bill.

White House Won’t Say if Trump Will Sign Hong Kong Bill That Has Angered China

The White House declined to comment on whether Mr. Trump would sign the measure, which passed the Senate unanimously and the House with only one lawmaker opposed, creating a solidly veto-proof majority. Presidents have 10 days to sign approved legislation, but that clock is suspended when Congress is adjourned, as it will be next week for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Speaking on CNBC on Thursday, the measure’s Senate sponsor, Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, said that he expected it to win Mr. Trump’s approval.

“My understanding is they will sign it,” he said.

Mr. Trump could still invoke presidential authorities to avoid or delay enforcing some of the bill’s provisions, according to people familiar with the measure, potentially blunting its impact in the near term as well as criticism from Beijing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He does seem enamored of repressive, authoritarian governments....

With unanimous support in the Senate and nearly unanimous in the House, I don't think he has much of a choice but to sign the bill. Even if he vetoes it, it will be overridden.

I don't know what the Chinese have in mind or what they plan to do. In the end, there's probably very little the US can do to prevent any kind of repressive activity in Hong Kong. They even talk about "destroying Hong Kong outright." If China did that, there's nothing the US can do to prevent it, short of going to war.

So, no one is interfering in anything the Chinese want to do in regards to Hong Kong. They're just upset because the US isn't giving its approval and blessing.

Shad

Veteran Member
I don't know what the Chinese have in mind or what they plan to do. In the end, there's probably very little the US can do to prevent any kind of repressive activity in Hong Kong. They even talk about "destroying Hong Kong outright." If China did that, there's nothing the US can do to prevent it, short of going to war.

Unless Trump starts tariffs again there is little the US can do beside send mean letters.

So, no one is interfering in anything the Chinese want to do in regards to Hong Kong. They're just upset because the US isn't giving its approval and blessing.

China does not like public criticism from any source.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
China does not like public criticism from any source.

We agree on this point. They want everyone to bow their knees before the Emperor of Heaven - Xi in this case.

Symbolic statements have value. Being able to sanction does not do much, but it too sends a message.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
This view is dangerous. Politics shouldn't be turned into a sport or entertainment for people. Apathetic citizens won't uphold democracy.
Sorry my short form euphemism didn't meet your exacting specifications.

"Commenting so as to subscribe to the thread for the express purpose of following and familiarising myself with the events in the original post, with a view to participating in any subsequent discussion".

Happy?

Good-Ole-Rebel

This is a very serious situation.

On July 1, 1997 Hong Kong reverted back to Chinese sovereignty. This ended 156 years of British rule.

But, it was done so in an agreement between Hong Kong and China that Hong Kong would exist as a two system arrangement. Hong Kong's social and economic system would remain the same until 2047.

This means they remain capitalist, and have freedoms of speech, assembly, religious belief, etc. until 2047.

It is on this basis that the riots are taking place. Many believe the extradition bill has violated this agreement.

So, every major western nation should determine if there is violation of the agreement, and are they in any way required to support Hong Kong in this? And how far are they willing to go?

There is nothing good that will come of this in the end. In 2047, it won't matter. That is just 27 years away. The people of Hong Kong are going to come under the rule of China anyway. That can't be stopped.

My advice to the rioters in Hong Kong, plan on getting out before 2047, instead of going to jail now for who knows how long.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They're just upset because the US isn't giving its approval and blessing.
China is not asking for approval, it says 'Just shut up'. Which is what the US law-makers should do. Or you can go on a trade war. It is China's internal matter. Faced with this kind of violence, we would also have had it put down (like we have done in Kashmir).
They want everyone to bow their knees before the Emperor of Heaven - Xi in this case.
Respect has to be mutual.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
China is not asking for approval, it says 'Just shut up'. Which is what the US law-makers should do. Or you can go on a trade war. It is China's internal matter. Faced with this kind of violence, we would also have had it put down (like we have done in Kashmir).
But isn't such toothless legislation also an internal matter...being mere commentary?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Respect has to be mutual.

I don't know why US lawmakers should have to "shut up." Besides, other countries (including China) have made a point of criticizing many US internal policies. I don't see why it should be okay for them, but not for us.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Then why should US do it? It does not frighten China in any way.
Besides, other countries (including China) have made a point of criticizing many US internal policies.
In that case, those countries should not have done that.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why should US do it? It does not frighten China in any way.

Why should anyone state their opinions on anything?

I realize it doesn't frighten China. However, they do seem awfully sensitive to even the slightest of criticisms. A truly strong government would have a thicker skin than they do.

In that case, those countries should not have done that.

I don't think it really bothers that many people, nor does it affect or hinder the US government in any way. We can handle free speech and criticism, so I'm not sure why others can't.