• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children, they are important.

Gabethewiking

This is not directly a "Creationist" Question/Debate, but because the majority of Creationist are Creationis because they have been indoctrinated as children, I think it is worth asking here.

Children are our future, they are important. I think we all can agree to this. Children should be treated properly and have, as well as possible, the ability to fullfill their life and enjoy this world of ours.

This means, according to me, that children have rights.

Do you consider that Children should have the right, whatever the parents religious beliefs or opinions are, to a Proper Education?

If you agree with this rather rethorical Question, would you not consider that indoctrinated your child into believing what you believe a wrong-doing, rather then letting them have access to a proper education learning about facts, examples such as Gravity, Evolution and Spherical Earth, even if this goes against your personal belief?

Moonstone

inactive
This is not directly a "Creationist" Question/Debate, but because the majority of Creationist are Creationis because they have been indoctrinated as children, I think it is worth asking here.

Children are our future, they are important. I think we all can agree to this. Children should be treated properly and have, as well as possible, the ability to fullfill their life and enjoy this world of ours.

Do you consider that Children should have the right, whatever the parents religious beliefs or opinions are, to a Proper Education?

If you agree with this rather rethorical Question, would you not consider that indoctrinated your child into believing what you believe a wrong-doing, rather then letting them have access to a proper education learning about facts, examples such as Gravity, Evolution and Spherical Earth, even if this goes against your personal belief?

If you're talking religion here, of course children should have the right to choose, and should be properly educated on everything. :yes:

dust1n

Zindīq

People under 18 don't have rights. Sorry.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, in the U.S. aren't children supposed to have a "right" to a proper education? I swear I've heard that before. Being the case, if a person were to prevent their child from attaining that education couldn't they be held legally accountable for that?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Yes they do. Education is important. Knowledge is very important. It is our responsibility to make sure children are educated properly.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I agree with you in principle, but what if anything does this mean in practice. What would you recommend we actually do? That we are not already doing that is. All we can do as a society is offer a proper education; we cannot force it. I have seen the harm that that can be done when the state forces children into residential schools in the name of “proper education”.

And children are not going to accept the offer of education if it goes against their parent’s wishes.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Yes. I think children should go to skool and learn about real facts. Of course, if I deeply believed that evolution was a krazy lie I don't know if I'd want to have my children forced to learn it. Evolution to some people is the same as the theory of god is to me. Would I want my children to learn all about god? Not really. I guess it would be okay if they said it's a theory. So I guess evolution could be taught as a theory too (which it is taught that way, even though it's hardly just a theory). So yes. Teach them evolution. (and if you have to, tell them it's a theory and they just won't believe it and will probably fail the test when they get konfused about which version of reality they are meant to believe at a certain point in time.)

Evolution isn't a theory. There is evidence all over that evolution happens. It kind of ****** me off that we have to pretend it's just a theory bekause it conflicts with some people's religious beliefs. We cannot even teach kids right bekause their parents won't let us.

Gabethewiking

Yes. I think children should go to skool and learn about real facts. Of course, if I deeply believed that evolution was a krazy lie I don't know if I'd want to have my children forced to learn it..

Excellent point, so let me ask you (and others) what in the he** does your OPINION have to do with it? The Child has a right to good education, right? So if you do not accept facts like Evolution, what RIGHT do YOU have to PREVENT your children to get this education you lack? Is this not child abuse?

ragordon168

the thing about evolution is that you can opt out of the lessons on 'religious grounds'. i think the teachers should ask if anyone has a religious objection, say tuff ****** and teach them it anyway, then the kids can go and teach their parents the truth so we can end this ridiculous argument over creationism vs evolution

I really think, as a parent, that whether or not I agree with everything that my son is taught in school, he will benefit more from that education than anything I can provide for him, even assuming I could afford to stay home from work just to teach him (which I can't).
If I disagree with what is being taught, I can always teach him differently, if something such as religious beliefs are at stake. That is my prerogative.

dust1n

Zindīq
Well, in the U.S. aren't children supposed to have a "right" to a proper education? I swear I've heard that before. Being the case, if a person were to prevent their child from attaining that education couldn't they be held legally accountable for that?

Is making it illegal to not go to school make going to school a right?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I would say education is more of a requirement than a right. I thought about it. I am big on personal freedoms and such, but educated decisions need to be made. I for one think there are enough rediculous and stupid people running around the US already not to properly educate our children. Most children don't like to go to school. If we gave them the choice they would never go. Of course high school is a different matter. If a kid doesn't want to go to school he isn't going to go at all. No matter what.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Is making it illegal to not go to school make going to school a right?

It's tough. The society we live in is built for the benefit of those who have gone to skool. I would say that you shouldn't have to go to skool if you don't want to, but it's really tough when as an adult, if you haven't gone to skool, you're going to be the weirdo who kannot get a job. In this society that would be a huge disadvantage.

dust1n

Zindīq
It's tough. The society we live in is built for the benefit of those who have gone to skool. I would say that you shouldn't have to go to skool if you don't want to, but it's really tough when as an adult, if you haven't gone to skool, you're going to be the weirdo who kannot get a job. In this society that would be a huge disadvantage.

Ah.. nothing like the lack of educational freedom!

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
:sarcastic

Minors have no rights.

There are certainly laws concerning minors in the US, laws requiring certain levels of education, anti-exploitation laws, laws concerning forced labor and abuse, etc. But these do not translate into rights.

While I certainly do not agree to parents indoctrinating their kids to the point of creating yet more YECers and Fundies, there simply isn't anything in our Laws, or even American Principles, denying the parental right to do so.

The best we can hope for is keeping that kind of mentality out of public institutions to keep this minority from indoctrinating everyone's children and creating more YECers by keeping the curriculum secular.

THAT is mandated in our Constitution.

One of the hazards inherent in living in a free country. Sometimes you have to put up with people you don't agree with. :p

Gabethewiking

:sarcastic

Minors have no rights.

There are certainly laws concerning minors in the US, laws requiring certain levels of education, anti-exploitation laws, laws concerning forced labor and abuse, etc. But these do not translate into rights.

While I certainly do not agree to parents indoctrinating their kids to the point of creating yet more YECers and Fundies, there simply isn't anything in our Laws, or even American Principles, denying the parental right to do so.

The best we can hope for is keeping that kind of mentality out of public institutions to keep this minority from indoctrinating everyone's children and creating more YECers by keeping the curriculum secular.

THAT is mandated in our Constitution.

One of the hazards inherent in living in a free country. Sometimes you have to put up with people you don't agree with. :p

But you realize that with this you admit that you consider that it is okey to make a specific group, Children, do whatever you want, because you want it, Right?

To put it more vividly, imagine it being Blacks instead of Children being forced into a specific education system telling them that they are the workers of the White man and they are inferior to White man, not to far from what once was.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
But you realize that with this you admit that you consider that it is okey to make a specific group, Children, do whatever you want, because you want it, Right?

To put it more vividly, imagine it being Blacks instead of Children being forced into a specific education system telling them that they are the workers of the White man and they are inferior to White man, not to far from what once was.

Non sequitur, sorry. And a bit of a strawman as well by bringing race into the issue.

Children have no rights, that cannot be denied.

Parents Do have rights, such as bringing their child up as they see fit, within legal constraints of course, including indoctrinating their child into their religion.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Children are not wards of the state but of their parents and as such the parents are free to instill whatever values they choose into their children while they are minors.

Now, that being said, how many of you went your own way after emancipation?

Now what I'd really be interested in is how this placing of such a high value on children came to be.