• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children of God

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Galatians 4:5-6 Ephesians 1:5
If I could become the son of God through Jesus, does that make me God? If no, then why is Jesus considered God? Is being the son of God enough to make you God? Do Christians all become God?

Orbit

I'm a planet
If I could become the son of God through Jesus, does that make me God? If no, then why is Jesus considered God? Is being the son of God enough to make you God? Do Christians all become God?

Some early theologians and mystics did say that the purpose of religious practice was to become God.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
If God exists wholly outside and separate from Creation, then nobody who has ever existed can be God, including Jesus.

Lain

Jesus is Son by nature, we by grace/adoption. Those who become so by grace are rightly called gods. In my view.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
We are all "sons of God". The question put to us by Christ is will we accept the implications of this assignation, and can we set our own fears and desires aside, so as to fulfill it?

Last edited:

Eyes to See

Of course not. Jesus is not God, but God's son. And he is to have adopted brothers, these adopted sons of God:

"Because those whom he gave his first recognition he also foreordained to be patterned after the image of his Son, so that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."-Romans 8:29.

This is one of the sacred secrets held in lasting times revealed by the manifestation of Jesus Christ.

For example in the ancient prophecies of the Jews we are told:

"I will declare your name to my brothers;
In the midst of the congregation I will praise you.
"-Psalm 22:22.

And in another scripture:

"Look! I and the children whom Jehovah has given me."-Isaiah 8:18.

That these refer to the adopted children of God, by spirit, to be imaged after the pattern of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and Jesus counts them as his adopted brothers we are shown:

"For it was fitting that the one for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory...For both the one who is sanctifying and those who are being sanctified all stem from one, and for this reason he is not ashamed to call them brothers, 12 as he says: “I will declare your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you with song.” 13 And again: “I will put my trust in him.” And again: “Look! I and the young children, whom Jehovah gave me.”"-Hebrews 2:10-13.

We whom God has called and chosen to rule in heaven as kings and priests along with Jesus Christ are indeed his adopted brothers, and adopted sons of God.

We shall judge angels:

"Do you not know that we will judge angels?"-1 Corinthians 6:3.

And God foresaw in his good pleasure that all of the faithful men of old would not receive the fulfillment of the promises, and would not be perfected in the new world to come apart from us, that is Jesus Christ, and the anointed Christian congregation, glorified in heaven at Jehovah's side:

"And yet all of these, although they received a favorable witness because of their faith, did not obtain the fulfillment of the promise, 40 because God had foreseen something better for us, so that they might not be made perfect apart from us."-Hebrews 11:39-40.

Eyes to See

We are all "sons of God". The question put to us by Christ is will we accept this assignation, and can we set our own fears and desires aside, so as to fulfill it?

It is true that all humankind, and even the angels all owe their family names to God:

"For this reason I bend my knees to the Father, 15 to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes its name."-Ephesians 3:14, 15.

This is due to the fact that he created us all. Humankind is the offspring of Adam, we are not a separate creation of him, Rather we are from him, and are made of the same genetic material, the same DNA as Adam who was ousted from God's family when he sinned along with the rebel angels, with Satan as their ringleader.

So humankind in general today are alienated from God, they are dead spiritually in his eyes, they are not his children:

(Ephesians 2:12) . . .At that time you were without Christ, alienated from the state of Israel, strangers to the covenants of the promise; you had no hope and were without God in the world.

"They are the ones who have acted corruptly.
They are not his children, the defect is their own.
They are a crooked and twisted generation!"
-Deuteronomy 32:5.

The only way to have a relationship with God is through the mediator between God and man Jesus Christ. Jehovah has put this mediator in place in order that sinful man can approach his throne and still have a relationship with him.

God does have adopted sons on earth, but they are relatively few. They are born from above with holy spirit, and are called to heaven to serve with Jesus Christ as kings over the earth.

They are justified based on their faith in Jesus' shed ransom, and in God's eyes although sinners are considered perfect. He has the legal right to claim them as his children by means of the same ransom that was paid for them:

"Because those whom he gave his first recognition he also foreordained to be patterned after the image of his Son, so that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 Moreover, those whom he foreordained are the ones he also called; and those whom he called are the ones he also declared to be righteous. Finally those whom he declared righteous are the ones he also glorified."-Romans 8:29, 30.

It is only by means of the manifestation of these 144,000 anointed in heaven that those on earth will be reclaimed into God's family:

"For the creation is waiting with eager expectation for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will, but through the one who subjected it, on the basis of hope 21 that the creation itself will also be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God."-Romans 8:19-21.

The creation, that is the offspring of Adam, is waiting for the revealing of the sons of God, these 144,000 anointed chosen and called congregation of God. This will be after Jesus comes to wage war on wicked human society and sets up his kingdom government over all the earth. Meek humans will inherit the earth and the dead ones will be resurrected back to life. Then the full benefit of the rule God's sons, Jesus Christ and the 144,000 anointed Christian congregation, will be clear for all to see.

For creation was subjected to futility, that is humankind was subjected to death, on the basis of hope. In the garden of Eden Jehovah said that the offspring of the woman would bruise the serpent in his head. That is kill him. And when that happens at the end of the 1,000 year reign, Jesus Christ will have brought all righteous humans living on earth back to the perfect state humankind had at its start. Then death will be no more, and there will be no more sickness or pain or sorrow. Then Jesus will hand the kingdom back to his Father Jehovah and God will again welcome humankind back into his family. And then all humans will live forever on earth as children of God:

"Next, the end, when he hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power. 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. 26 And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing. 27 For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him. 28 But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone." - 1 Corinthians 15:24-28.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do tend to lean in the direction that there's a "piece of God" within us, which some call a "soul". Therefore, we could say "We are That" or "I am That", whereas the "That" being a reference to God.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
We are all "sons of God". The question put to us by Christ is will we accept the implications of this assignation, and can we set our own fears and desires aside, so as to fulfill it?

Can you demsonrate anything approaching objective evidence, or beyond your bare assertion here?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I do tend to lean in the direction that there's a "piece of God" within us, which some call a "soul". Therefore, we could say "We are That" or "I am That", whereas the "That" being a reference to God.
Why do you "lean" that way?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The concept is that you take on characteristics which are divine characteristics. Inheriting God's characteristics makes you a son of God; because you are putting away the flesh, the you, and you are replacing your characteristics with characteristics of God. Thereby also you are becoming part of something eternal, leaving behind impermanence and humanness.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Not really, but certainly a good question.

The difference is that Jesus was The Word and was with God and was God. We are recreated spirits by the born again experience.

However, you are co-heir with Christ Jesus;

I don't think so, because:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5