• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child Support...

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
My Husband got a call yesterday from the SDCSS Office telling him that he was supposed to be in counrt that day. :eek: Funny how no one told us that. After talking to the case representative we found out that his ex is (after 5 years) filing for child support. Not only filing for it, but asking for 5 years of back pay. Don't get me wrong, we have no problem helping to pay for his son's needs, but they had an agreement that IF she needed money all she had to do was ask (and she did) and other than that we sent birthday and Christmas gifts to him. Being the vindictive ***** that she is, she has now decided that what we gave isn't enough, hence the court date.

Now that we have the court date moved back (not sure till when, they haven't told us yet), we have a ton of paper work to fill out. While filling out this paper work I discovered that while my income (as his current wife) is used in the caculations in how much we have to pay, her current husbands is not. I'm still not understanding how the courts can hold me accountable for a child that is not mine in any way shape or form, but not hold her new husband accountable also.

:banghead3

Anyone on here a lawyer out in Cali?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I'm not a lawyer in CA, but I'm sure you would be able to bring up your concerns in court.

The best thing to do is to get a lawyer. You and your husband should go out and try to find good legal representation because without it you will probably not be successful in any way in a court room (not that you're not smart people, but CA courts are almost always biased against those who try to represent themselves).

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
I'm not a lawyer in CA, but I'm sure you would be able to bring up your concerns in court.

The best thing to do is to get a lawyer. You and your husband should go out and try to find good legal representation because without it you will probably not be successful in any way in a court room (not that you're not smart people, but CA courts are almost always biased against those who try to represent themselves).

We would love to get a lawyer, but simply can not afford one. And have no means of obtaning a way to pay for one (ie, loan or credit card).

California...thanks.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
We would love to get a lawyer, but simply can not afford one. And have no means of obtaning a way to pay for one (ie, loan or credit card).

wouldn't the state then provide you with a lawyer? Or is that only in criminal cases? I think there is also though the ability to get a lawyer, I think the term is "probono"(sp?), which basically means that they become your lawyer for the trial free of charge though I don't know how such a thing could be obtained.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I don't know about a lawyer, but I would be DAMNED sure I had all the facts. Every transaction between you and your husbands ex. That way, you can claim that you have indeed kept up with his son, even if you don't give her the amount she never claimed she wanted. It would be good to make sure you have all this information and more. A past history of addiction or mental issues? Make sure the court knows that you don't have ANY reason not to take care of his son, but that this is an unexpected and unreasonable request. That you would be happy, perhaps, to settle it out of court.

... That's all I have....

Good luck!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh dear. Well, I'm really sorry to say that I'm pretty sure your husband is liable for the back child support payments regardless of his verbal agreement with his ex. Unless your husband can provide documentation about payments made for child support only, (not birthdays) he more than likely will have to pay back support.

Your income will not be considered. At least that's the case in the state where I live. If you can tell me the state where you live, I'll post links that might help.

Watchmen

Premium Member
If you don't get a lawyer you will lose...big time.

(not that I think there's anything wrong with that...fathers have a duty to pay what is owed, as determined by the court, not some unenforceable agreement between the parties)

(I only post such because this is in a debate forum)

If you can't afford an attorney (have you even called around to see if that's true?), try a local law school - many of them have clinics that allow students, under the guidance of real attorneys, to work on cases for free.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Also, court dates don't just magically appear. Your husband must have been served one way or another (perhaps by mail?) if there was a court date.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sorry, but I'm going to call bull#$%@ on this one.

My Husband got a call yesterday from the SDCSS Office telling him that he was supposed to be in counrt that day. :eek: Funny how no one told us that.

The court system has probably been trying to contact your husband for some time now.

Don't get me wrong, we have no problem helping to pay for his son's needs, but they had an agreement that IF she needed money all she had to do was ask (and she did) and other than that we sent birthday and Christmas gifts to him.

This was a VERY foolish arrangement on your husband's part. Child support is not OPTIONAL, it's the law. Has your husband been living under a rock since he fathered this child?

While filling out this paper work I discovered that while my income (as his current wife) is used in the caculations in how much we have to pay, her current husbands is not. I'm still not understanding how the courts can hold me accountable for a child that is not mine in any way shape or form, but not hold her new husband accountable also.

Generally speaking, your income will not be considered UNLESS your husband is not working. Only in extraordinary cases would your income be considered.

Family Court Child Support

I know how upsetting and annoying this must be and this is probably not what you want to hear but I think you need to resign yourselves to the fact that you are going to have to pay the child support. Resisting it will cost more money, but maybe you can talk to her lawyer and see if she is amenable to sit down with your family and your lawyer ( sorry but it looks like you need one ) and sort it out before going to court, you may be able to work out some payment plan. If you do make sure it is all documented. The faster this is sorted out the better for everyone but the lawyers.

It seems like the other mother is either resentful at having to ask for money for the child,(if you put yourself in her shoes maybe you would be too) or her financial circumstances have changed.

I would advise you not to contact her directly if she has legal representation. And be civil at all times in your dealings with her. No matter how inconvenient it is to you or how upsetting, the reality is she has a child with your husband and she is in your life for the forseeable future.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
wouldn't the state then provide you with a lawyer? Or is that only in criminal cases? I think there is also though the ability to get a lawyer, I think the term is "probono"(sp?), which basically means that they become your lawyer for the trial free of charge though I don't know how such a thing could be obtained.

That's only in criminal cases, not for Family Law cases. I've looked into pro-bono in CA and there is no way we would get one in time.

Also, court dates don't just magically appear. Your husband must have been served one way or another (perhaps by mail?) if there was a court date.

I know court dates don't magically appear. And yes he has to be served. When we asked them (The Child Support Services worker) if they had record of an attempt to serve him with notice we were told that they did not have record of her (being the ex) ever serving us. Hence a continunce(sp?) was issued by the judge.

Sorry, but I'm going to call bull#$%@ on this one.

Thanks...That's very productive and extremly helpful. :sarcastic

The court system has probably been trying to contact your husband for some time now.

Odd then that the haven't found him. His cell phone number has been the same one for the past 2 years, and his official record of residence hasn't changed in 11. I would also like to point out that the court system is in no way responsible for notifing us of a court date. That is the responsibility of the filing party which in this case is his ex or his ex's attourney if she has one. Which they didn't do, which is why the judge issued a continuce(sp?).

This was a VERY foolish arrangement on your husband's part. Child support is not OPTIONAL, it's the law. Has your husband been living under a rock since he fathered this child?

Seeing as I have not been living under a rock I would say no, he hasn't either. And yes it was very foolish, however my husband is also a very trusting person (well he was this has changed that) and thought that they had reached an understanding 5 years ago.

I have a question...do you actually have anything useful to add to my op or do you just feel the need to sling around insults without knowing the whole situation (which would take me several pages to go over).

I know how upsetting and annoying this must be and this is probably not what you want to hear but I think you need to resign yourselves to the fact that you are going to have to pay the child support.

We're not trying to get out of paying child support. We have no problem paying child support. What we want to ensure is that the courts take into consideration the health care and free housing provided to him by his mothers new husband, and the needs of our current child and our ability to take care of her so that when the judge hands down an number it is not one that puts us in a situation to not be able to care for our daughter..

It seems like the other mother is either resentful at having to ask for money for the child,(if you put yourself in her shoes maybe you would be too) or her financial circumstances have changed.

Actually it's neather of these. Her finincial status actually improved with her most recent marriage. What changed is that we are in the process of moving to Texas, which is something that she has always wanted to do, and she decided that the best way to "get him" would be to go to the courts.

I would advise you not to contact her directly if she has legal representation. And be civil at all times in your dealings with her. No matter how inconvenient it is to you or how upsetting, the reality is she has a child with your husband and she is in your life for the forseeable future.

I actually don't contact her at all. And yes I understand that she is in our lives for the forseeable future, I understood that before we ever got married.

Last edited:

Kathryn

I'm sorry, Wookie, in retrospect I realize how harsh I must have sounded.

This is an issue that hits home to me from several fronts.

First of all, I have four children from my first marriage. So as the mother of children whose father did all he could to avoid paying any significant child support, I can empathize with the mother's point of view very easily.

My current husband pays about $1000 a month child support for one child and has been for the past 10 years - two more years to go - woohooo!! His exwife is constantly jacking around with child support issues, so I can also empathize with your husband's perspective.

The bottom line though is that there is no way for him to avoid paying child support on both the back child support owed and for the future, till the child is at least 18.

I did give you some constructive advice though - I gave you a California state website, and I also pointed out that your income will almost certainly not be counted. Nor will the ex's husband's income. Nothing matters but the income of the two parents and the number of children they are obliged to support (except in extreme cases).

If your husband can prove the money that he's given her over the years, perhaps that can be deducted from what he owes for back child support.

The courts will work out a payment plan most likely - it is not the courts intention nor in the child's best interests for your husband to be unfairly punished.

My kneejerk reaction was caused in part by my frustration at the idea that neither of you knew this was coming. Honestly, I find this amazing. However, that's water under the bridge. It is what it is and your husband will be paying child support for at least the next 13 years, to include back child support.

I know that's a heavy load. Believe me, I know it from more than one angle. My exhusband, father of my four children, only paid $480 a month AT THE MOST - and that was partly my fault, for never taking him back to court to have it raised, even though he is an officer in the military. My children really could have used the extra income - if I hadn't been so prideful, I would have taken him back to court for more, so that i (the only parent involved in their lives) would have been able to work 40 hours a week instead of 60 - and would have been able to spend more time with my kids.

How active is your husband in his child's life? Does he exercize regular visitation? If he has been, he can possibly fight her attempts to move the child to Texas. He could also make her meet him half way for regular visitation - in other words, since it's her choice to move, she will have to pay some of the expenses that allow the child to see your husband.

But if your husband hasn't been spending regular time with the child, then this will be harder to get the courts to agree to.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
First of all, I have four children from my first marriage. So as the mother of children whose father did all he could to avoid paying any significant child support, I can empathize with the mother's point of view very easily.

That's just the thing. My husband has never avoided paying child support, she just never went to the courts and had a court mandated amount set. So we/he gave her what she asked for.

The bottom line though is that there is no way for him to avoid paying child support on both the back child support owed and for the future, till the child is at least 18.

Did you not read my post. We're not trying to get out of anything. We're trying to make sure that the amount ordered by the court is fair to both his son and us.

My kneejerk reaction was caused in part by my frustration at the idea that neither of you knew this was coming. Honestly, I find this amazing.

Be amazed away then. Because we didn't and once the judge found out that we hadn't been served notice he set a new date.

I know that's a heavy load. Believe me, I know it from more than one angle. My exhusband, father of my four children, only paid $480 a month AT THE MOST - and that was partly my fault, for never taking him back to court to have it raised, even though he is an officer in the military. My children really could have used the extra income - if I hadn't been so prideful, I would have taken him back to court for more, so that i (the only parent involved in their lives) would have been able to work 40 hours a week instead of 60 - and would have been able to spend more time with my kids.

I understand some of your pain as my own mother never recived the child support she was due and had to work horrible hours to care for myself and my sister. That being said, you were awful quick to jump the gun and assume that my husband was trying to get out of paying child support and that we had in some way been dodging the court. You even went so far as to call it bull ****. Stop and think next time, not every man out there is like your ex-husband and they damn sure don't deserve to be talked about or treated like they are.

If he has been, he can possibly fight her attempts to move the child to Texas. He could also make her meet him half way for regular visitation - in other words, since it's her choice to move, she will have to pay some of the expenses that allow the child to see your husband.

She's not the one moving to Texas, we are. They are in CA, we are in GA moving to TX.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So not only did he abandon his child, he's moving to a place where he won't even be able to visit the child regularly? Fantastic. I hope he pays dearly.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
A lot of harsh people in here, no doubt leading a "Christ-like life".

Since I live in Canada, I don't know much about American law. So my apologies that I cannot be of help, but I want to wish you the best.

Watchmen

Premium Member
A lot of harsh people in here, no doubt leading a "Christ-like life".

Since I live in Canada, I don't know much about American law. So my apologies that I cannot be of help, but I want to wish you the best.

"Christ-like life" got nothing to do with it.

I've been the child in such a situation so, obviously, my opinions are tainted with that experience. No matter what happens, the child loses.

Kathryn

you were awful quick to jump the gun and assume that my husband was trying to get out of paying child support and that we had in some way been dodging the court. You even went so far as to call it bull ****. Stop and think next time, not every man out there is like your ex-husband and they damn sure don't deserve to be talked about or treated like they are.

First of all, I never said or meant to imply that I thought your husband wasn't willing to pay child support. What I said was that it was amazing to me that he thought he could just make informal payments sporadically for the past five years, when the news is full of stories about back child support cases.

This seems incredibly naive and, frankly, irresponsible, to me. Irresponsible, not only to his first child, but to you and your child together. Surely he had to know that this situation had the probability of looming into your lives with a vengeance eventually! And creating a huge financial burden on everyone involved as well.

Wookie, I have a couple of questions:

When your husband and his ex had this child together, where did they live?

You state you and your husband now live in Georgia. Who moved away from who and when?

I also asked earlier if your husband has ever established any sort of pattern of regular visitation - has he? You didn't answer that question the first time I asked it.

The reason why I'm asking is this: If your husband moved away from the child, and hasn't been paying regular and reasonable child support, then you do understand that this fits a stereotype, right?

Look, it's hard enough to be a good dad when you're divorced from your kids' mom and not living with the child in the same house. Dads in that situation have to make an EXTRA effort to be spend regular time with their child. Sometimes, even if the ex moves away, this means that the dad should move as well. I know that sounds extreme - but a child needs an active and participating father in their lives. Preferably their REAL father - unless he's abusive. The last thing he should do is move out of state, or acquiesce if his ex moves away with his child, unless it absolutely can't be helped. Sometimes this may even mean making a career change. Which is more important - a career or a child?

If the dad absolutely cannot live near the child, then he MUST make an extra effort to see that child for extended periods of time, during the summer, school breaks, long weekends. This involves a lot of sacrifice, and can strain future relationships, budgets, etc. But the child didn't ask for this mess and deserves the best a dad can provide.

What we want to ensure is that the courts take into consideration the health care and free housing provided to him by his mothers new husband, and the needs of our current child and our ability to take care of her so that when the judge hands down an number it is not one that puts us in a situation to not be able to care for our daughter..

Not sure about California, but I can tell you about Texas law. In Texas, it is generally the bio father's responsibility to maintain health insurance on his kids. The housing provided by the new hubby will not be considered by the courts at all. This is immaterial when determining the amount of support that a father is responsible to provide.

You said earlier that you didn't think the court should consider YOUR income when figuring child support. Why do you think they should consider his ex's husband's income? Don't worry - they won't consider yours and they won't consider her husband's either.

The court WILL take into consideration the fact that your husband has another child and will factor that into the equation. This should lessen the amount of child support a little bit.

The court has a mathmatical formula that they apply to virtually all cases and there's basically no way around those figures. What seems like a unique situation to you (your own), the courts have seen a thousand times. They will look at your husband's income and the number of kids he has, and then apply their formula (which you can find online) and bingo - there's the number.

They'll figure up what he owes for the past five years and come up with a payment plan and add that to what he will now officially owe each month. They will nearly certainly require him to carry health insurance on his first child as well. They will require that he pay half of all future medical and dental bills. They may require that he pay half of all schooling costs if his ex decides to send the child to private school. Generally he will have to pay his half of these expenses within thirty days of receiving the bill.

There are very, very few exceptions to these basic laws - usually only in cases where the bio father is truly physically unable to work at all, for a very extended amount of time.

The good news is this - you and your husband should be able to weather this. You may have to make serious adjustments in your budget, and the reality of those monthly payments will be a burden, but it's not something insurmountable - unless YOU allow resentment to eat away at you and your marriage.

Your challenge will be to be gracious about this. I encourage you to be supportive and upbeat about this, since it's inevitable anyway. Encourage him to be more active in his first child's life - encourage him to exercize his visitation rights to to the fullest. Encourage him to go for extended visitation during the summer and holidays - the courts will definitely go for this because they WANT fathers to be more active in their children's lives.

You need to support his relationship with his first child, including the child support issue, rather than undermine it with bitterness.

Even though my husband pays $1000 a month in child support, and believe me, we could use that money, I have to just forget about that money and not let it gnaw at me. I decided early on that I would reach out to his son with love and acceptance. His son was 11 when we started dating - a hard age to merge with. But my support of his relationship with his son has made my relationship with my husband stronger and sweeter.

And guess what else - now I also love his son, and he loves me. He has been an unexpected gift in my life.

What seems like a huge problem for you now could turn out to be a blessing.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
So not only did he abandon his child, he's moving to a place where he won't even be able to visit the child regularly? Fantastic. I hope he pays dearly.

No he didn't abandon his child. She took him and moved to Cali. Something that we are in the process of fighting. We are in fact moving closer to his son. Perhaps you should keep your comments to yourself, seeing as you have no idea what you are talking about.