• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charged at by a Few Stray Dogs, Bitten by One

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing that I know of. Carrying blades could easily get you jailed, and pepper spray and tasers could get you in trouble too.

Guns are simply off the table for the vast majority of people here. Licensing one is significantly difficult and includes a lot of criteria that the average citizen wouldn't meet.
Well that does it...I'm not moving to Egypt.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I was on my way to meet a friend, and I was walking through a dark street. This city has a major problem of stray dogs and cats, since there's virtually no animal control to speak of. Like many other parts of the city, that street had many stray dogs, and four of them were consistently chasing and barking at every car that passed through the street.

I stepped aside fairly quickly to evade one of the incoming cars, and one of the dogs apparently thought I was trying to run and bit me in the hip twice. The other three were barking at me, which made the possibility of a mauling flash through my mind. I stretched my arms to make myself look bigger, slammed the ground as hard as I could, and loudly shooed the dogs off. The one that had my hip let go and backed away, and the rest followed suit.

I later read that slamming the ground could be taken by a dog as a challenge, which could either go really well or really badly. Thankfully, in this case, it worked in my favor. I had only read about reacting to dog attacks out of curiosity, but the information turned out to be immensely helpful when all of that happened. Given how scared I was of a potential mauling, I would have almost certainly followed my base instincts and run as fast as I could if I hadn't known that doing so would have triggered an even more aggressive reaction from the dogs.

I rushed to a hospital and got rabies and tetanus shots. The rabies vaccine needs to be administered in five shots over 28 days, but the tetanus shot was a one-off. The latter hurt so much that my arm had a reduced range of motion for a couple of days, but the pain has mostly subsided now, and the peace of mind and protection are certainly worth it for me.

Long story short: I was charged at by four dogs and bitten by one, and I have since had multiple shots. If I hadn't randomly read about reacting to dog attacks a few years ago, I would have probably tried to run and gotten mauled. I'm glad this didn't go much worse than it did.

I'm very glad you're all right. Thank goodness for vaccines.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Long story short: I was charged at by four dogs and bitten by one, and I have since had multiple shots. If I hadn't randomly read about reacting to dog attacks a few years ago, I would have probably tried to run and gotten mauled. I'm glad this didn't go much worse than it did.

I appreciate it that you are recovering and that the attack was not as bad as it could have been.

Firenze

Premium Member
I currently live in a 'nice neighborhood' - still full of morons that walk their dogs without a leash. As someone who has been attacked before, and has had a child disfigured by a dog described by its owner as 'oh, he's really friendly!' - I have advised the neighborhood blog that I will shoot any unleashed dog that aggressively approaches me or mine.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I currently live in a 'nice neighborhood' - still full of morons that walk their dogs without a leash. As someone who has been attacked before, and has had a child disfigured by a dog described by its owner as 'oh, he's really friendly!' - I have advised the neighborhood blog that I will shoot any unleashed dog that aggressively approaches me or mine.

I'm sorry to hear about your child. That must have been a horrendous experience for both of you. I hope the recovery has gone well since.

Wirey

Fartist
When I was a kid there was a border collie in our neighbourhood who bit anyone it could. It bit me on the calf (I still have the scars) and my father, who was drunk at the time, beat it to death with a baseball bat and offered to do the same to it's owner in front of the police. After that everyone started tying up their dogs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I was a kid there was a border collie in our neighbourhood who bit anyone it could. It bit me on the calf (I still have the scars) and my father, who was drunk at the time, beat it to death with a baseball bat and offered to do the same to it's owner in front of the police. After that everyone started tying up their dogs.
I remember my father beating a weimaraner
on the back with a 2x4 when the dog attacked
my brother.
I'm still offended by this. He should've let the
dog have its way with that ******* **********.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember my father beating a weimaraner
on the back with a 2x4 when the dog attacked
my brother.
I'm still offended by this. He should've let the
dog have its way with that ******* **********.
I had a roommate with a Weimaraner that used to bite me in the face when I went from laying to sitting up. Only me, and only when that one action occurred... we couldn't figure it out. I wasn't cruel to her; I actually was the one who walked her most days. I just learned not to lay down around the dog(though they eventually got rid of her, but I can't remember why).