• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chaos isn't LHp

Orias

Left Hand Path
Still not sure what you mean.

Exactly. You're unknowing is causing you conflict in what you are attempting to understand.

If chaos is not LHP, then how can you appear to possess an understanding of the LHP yet at the same time not be able to embrace an aspect that drives it.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Exactly. You're unknowing is causing you conflict in what you are attempting to understand.

If chaos is not LHP, then how can you appear to possess an understanding of the LHP yet at the same time not be able to embrace an aspect that drives it.

Wrong. You're trying to argue concepts with me that I don't hold. And no, chaos in and of itself is certainly not LHP.

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
To me, chaos is about individual preferences, which is also a good descriptor of LHP. While chaos is about non-control, the practitioner is the one in control, chaos describes the lack of organization, ritual, or sect. But you do make a good point.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I disagree. For me chaos means there being no control. LHP could be better described as controlling the control, if you get what I mean.

But if there's control, there's order, which technically is against the Left Hand Path itself.

The Left-Hand Path -

The historian Dave Evans studied self-professed followers of the Left-Hand Path in the early 21st century, making several observations about their practices:

They often reject societal convention and the status quo, which some suggest is in a search for spiritual freedom. As a part of this, LHP followers embrace magical techniques that would traditionally be viewed as taboo, for instance using sex magic or embracing Satanic imagery. As Mogg Morgan wrote, the "breaking of taboos makes magick more potent and can lead to reintegration and liberation, [for example] the eating of meat in a vegetarian community can have the same liberating effect as anal intercourse in a sexually inhibited straight society."

With order, there'd be a status quo. Left Hand Path rejects status quo and societyal convention, as said above.

They often question religious or moral dogma, instead adhering to forms of personal anarchism.

It would create a moral dogma if the Left Hand Path were to have order, and it'd eliminate personal anarchism.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
But if there's control, there's order, which technically is against the Left Hand Path itself.
I'm curious where this idea came up. LHP isn't Chaos Magic. Anarchy however is right, since it refers to rejecting outside control. I'll quote the dictionary (emphasis mine):
(uncountable) Anarchism; the political theory that a community is best organized by the voluntary cooperation of individuals, rather than by a government, which is regarded as being coercive by nature.
To play with a well-known phrase: "I reject your rules and substitute my own". (Props for Quintessence for bringing it up.) Is that chaos? Not in my opinion, no. For me it seems like not being able to see the difference will stall you, since your focus will be on (empty) opposition with nowhere to grow.

An example to illustrate what I mean: A common thought in LHP is autotheism. In the name of resisting status quo, shouldn't you be rejecting the idea? And if you reject the idea, someone else has to support it. Sadly people don't follow the rules of quantum mechanics in this case; we actually have to pick some personal rules and go with it. Even Chaotes know to roll a die and go with something for a week or two before they roll the die again. ;)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm curious where this idea came up. LHP isn't Chaos Magic. Anarchy however is right, since it refers to rejecting outside control. I'll quote the dictionary (emphasis mine):
To play with a well-known phrase: "I reject your rules and substitute my own". (Props for Quintessence for bringing it up.) Is that chaos? Not in my opinion, no. For me it seems like not being able to see the difference will stall you, since your focus will be on (empty) opposition with nowhere to grow.

An example to illustrate what I mean: A common thought in LHP is autotheism. In the name of resisting status quo, shouldn't you be rejecting the idea? And if you reject the idea, someone else has to support it. Sadly people don't follow the rules of quantum mechanics in this case; we actually have to pick some personal rules and go with it. Even Chaotes know to roll a die and go with something for a week or two before they roll the die again. ;)

Personal rules are chaotic, there is disorder as a whole of LHP.