• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and the Lotus Sutra

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  1. Nichiren is a school of Mahāyāna.
  2. The Lotus Sutra is an important Mahāyāna text.
  3. Does anyone know of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and the Lotus Sutra being chanted by schools outside of Nichiren?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Nam Myoho is not chanted outside the Nichiren school, but other schools do chant at least parts of the Lotus Sutra. In Zen, we chant the 25th chapter, the one about Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. Nichiren usually chants ch. 2 and 16 from what I understand. Thanks.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
  1. Nichiren is a school of Mahāyāna.
  2. The Lotus Sutra is an important Mahāyāna text.
  3. Does anyone know of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and the Lotus Sutra being chanted by schools outside of Nichiren?
The only one that comes to mind is SGI. Not regarded as a Nichiren school, but rather a sect that had branched off on it's own.

Too bad Engyo isn't around. He's the resident Nichiren Buddhist here.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The only one that comes to mind is SGI. Not regarded as a Nichiren school, but rather a sect that had branched off on it's own.

And was excommunicated. Yeah, I deliberately left out SGI. :D

Too bad Engyo isn't around. He's the resident Nichiren Buddhist here.

Indeed.

dsaly1969

I practice with Rissho Kosei Kai which is a Lotus Sutra -centered "Ekayana" (One Vehicle) sect of Buddhism from Japan. RKK is obviously Nichiren influenced but does not consider itself to be a Nichiren school.

The main practice of RKK is chanting portions of the chapters of the Lotus Sutra (in RKK we chant these in the language of our understanding - in my case English as the point is to understand what you are chanting - chanting helps you to focus and internalize) as well as O-Daimoku ("Namu Myoho Renge Kyo" - basically the title of the Lotus Sutra) as well as Ti Sarana (Taking the Three Refuges). Our daily liturgy called Kyoten is most similar to that of Nichiren Shu. A practice unique to RKK is hoza which is a form of group counselling which uses the foundational teachings of Buddhism (the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path but also the Six Paramitas) as a framework to examine our everyday life problems and issues through the lens of Buddhadharma.

We consider ourselves to be mainstream Buddhism and engage in a lot of interfaith and peace activities. Many of us also practice sitting meditation as a part of our daily practice. RKK is very ecumenical and believes that there are "84,000" paths to enlightenment so we do not suffer from the "one true school" syndrome - folks should gravitate to the school of Buddhadharma which resonates best for them.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I practice with Rissho Kosei Kai which is a Lotus Sutra -centered "Ekayana" (One Vehicle) sect of Buddhism from Japan. RKK is obviously Nichiren influenced but does not consider itself to be a Nichiren school.

The main practice of RKK is chanting portions of the chapters of the Lotus Sutra (in RKK we chant these in the language of our understanding - in my case English as the point is to understand what you are chanting - chanting helps you to focus and internalize) as well as O-Daimoku ("Namu Myoho Renge Kyo" - basically the title of the Lotus Sutra) as well as Ti Sarana (Taking the Three Refuges). Our daily liturgy called Kyoten is most similar to that of Nichiren Shu. A practice unique to RKK is hoza which is a form of group counselling which uses the foundational teachings of Buddhism (the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path but also the Six Paramitas) as a framework to examine our everyday life problems and issues through the lens of Buddhadharma.

We consider ourselves to be mainstream Buddhism and engage in a lot of interfaith and peace activities. Many of us also practice sitting meditation as a part of our daily practice. RKK is very ecumenical and believes that there are "84,000" paths to enlightenment so we do not suffer from the "one true school" syndrome - folks should gravitate to the school of Buddhadharma which resonates best for them.

This is interesting. I've never heard of this school before. It's good to see that it's inspired more by Nichiren Shu, rather than one of the sects that believes it's the only true Buddhist path, like Nichiren Shoshu.

dsaly1969

This is interesting. I've never heard of this school before. It's good to see that it's inspired more by Nichiren Shu, rather than one of the sects that believes it's the only true Buddhist path, like Nichiren Shoshu.

I had actually explored Nichiren Shu before settling into Rissho Kosei-Kai.

Rissho Kosei-Kai is a lay Buddhist organization which actually has cordial relations with both Tendai and Nichiren-Shu in Japan, and Tendai monks and Nichiren Shu ministers speak at special RKK events in Japan. In the United States this also happens on occasion.

At one point years ago there was even consideration of making RKK an "official" lay Buddhist organization associated with Nichiren Shu, but there were enough differences in assumptions and approach that both sides felt it would be better to pursue separate but friendly missions. For example, RKK does not view the writings of Nichiren, the Gosho or Goibun, as authoritative as in Nichiren Shu but placed primary authority on the study of the Lotus Sutra itself. Also, in RKK Nichiren is revered as a great Bodhisattva and practitioner of the Lotus Sutra but not necessarily as "Bodhisattva Superior Practice" (which is Nichiren Shu's view) who is a specific figure in the Lotus Sutra. Really these are slight differences overall but it explains why RKK never got into the whole "shakubuku" thing that SGI did.

BTW, Rissho Kosei-Kai also has official cordial relations with the Unitarian Universalist Association if that lets you know how inclusive and progressive they are.

Here are their basic principles of "Ekayana Buddhism":

1. Our Path is inclusive, welcoming all to study and practice.

2. We celebrate the diversity found within the human family and at the same time, we acknowledge our interconnectedness.

3. We study and practice Ekayana Buddhism (One Vehicle) by which we respect all spiritual traditions and acknowledge them as tactful methods to achieve Enlightenment.

4. We promote inquiry as a part of our spiritual path while teaching core Buddhist concepts combined with the wisdom of the Lotus Sutra.

5. We work to establish interfaith relationships that are not just intellectually based, but that create a deep human connection with others.

6. We recognize the buddha-nature in all, and practice the bodhisattva way to be of benefit in the world.

7. We practice hoza (circle of compassion) in which we learn to see Universal Truth at work within the struggles of our daily lives. It gives us the opportunity to practice applying the Buddha Dharma, along with the support of the Sangha.

8. Chanting the Lotus Sutra is: an expression of gratitude, a purification for the mind, mouth, and body, a gift of service to all beings, and a way to connect with the Eternal Truth.

9. We study and practice the Enlightenment teachings for our own personal growth and to support others on their Path.

There are Lotus Sutra based schools in China but as far as I know they don't chant "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo". I'm pretty sure that "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo" originated with Nichren.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I assume the Nembutsu practice is not of particular interest to this thread? It does have some superficial resemblances, after all.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I assume the Nembutsu practice is not of particular interest to this thread? It does have some superficial resemblances, after all.

Yeah, the thread is particularly about Nichiren and the Daimoku. But you are right; from a practice perspective, they are both devotional schools of Mahayana, and even historically, both Nichiren and Honen were Tendai priests in Japan before forming their respective schools.

von bek

Yeah, the thread is particularly about Nichiren and the Daimoku. But you are right; from a practice perspective, they are both devotional schools of Mahayana, and even historically, both Nichiren and Honen were Tendai priests in Japan before forming their respective schools.

It is hard to overstate the importance of the Tendai school in Japanese Buddhism. So many influential Japanese saints began their studies within it. It is a shame that Tendai is not more widespread in the U.S. It is a great school for the scholastic minded Buddhist.

I really like the inclusive, ecumenical and universal approach of RKK. I think it's healthy to be that way. UU in that sense seems like a great organization.

I am wondering how RKK is handling Nichiren's exclusive views regarding other Buddhist teachings and other religions... To be more specific, what would be RKK's take on Nichiren's four dictums described below?

four dictums
[四箇の格言] (Jpn shika-no-kakugen )
Also, four maxims. Four statements with which Nichiren (1222-1282) denounced the four most influential Buddhist schools of his time in Japan—the Pure Land (Jodo) school (also, the Nembutsu school), the Zen school, the True Word (Shingon) school, and the Precepts (Ritsu) school. Based on his understanding of the supremacy of the Lotus Sutra and his perception of the slander of these schools against the sutra, he repudiated their doctrines and declared as follows: (1) "Nembutsu leads to the hell of incessant suffering," (2) "Zen is the invention of the heavenly devil," (3) "True Word will ruin the nation," and (4) "Precepts is a traitor to the nation."

I had actually explored Nichiren Shu before settling into Rissho Kosei-Kai.

Rissho Kosei-Kai is a lay Buddhist organization which actually has cordial relations with both Tendai and Nichiren-Shu in Japan, and Tendai monks and Nichiren Shu ministers speak at special RKK events in Japan. In the United States this also happens on occasion.

At one point years ago there was even consideration of making RKK an "official" lay Buddhist organization associated with Nichiren Shu, but there were enough differences in assumptions and approach that both sides felt it would be better to pursue separate but friendly missions. For example, RKK does not view the writings of Nichiren, the Gosho or Goibun, as authoritative as in Nichiren Shu but placed primary authority on the study of the Lotus Sutra itself. Also, in RKK Nichiren is revered as a great Bodhisattva and practitioner of the Lotus Sutra but not necessarily as "Bodhisattva Superior Practice" (which is Nichiren Shu's view) who is a specific figure in the Lotus Sutra. Really these are slight differences overall but it explains why RKK never got into the whole "shakubuku" thing that SGI did.

BTW, Rissho Kosei-Kai also has official cordial relations with the Unitarian Universalist Association if that lets you know how inclusive and progressive they are.

Here are their basic principles of "Ekayana Buddhism":

1. Our Path is inclusive, welcoming all to study and practice.

2. We celebrate the diversity found within the human family and at the same time, we acknowledge our interconnectedness.

3. We study and practice Ekayana Buddhism (One Vehicle) by which we respect all spiritual traditions and acknowledge them as tactful methods to achieve Enlightenment.

4. We promote inquiry as a part of our spiritual path while teaching core Buddhist concepts combined with the wisdom of the Lotus Sutra.

5. We work to establish interfaith relationships that are not just intellectually based, but that create a deep human connection with others.

6. We recognize the buddha-nature in all, and practice the bodhisattva way to be of benefit in the world.

7. We practice hoza (circle of compassion) in which we learn to see Universal Truth at work within the struggles of our daily lives. It gives us the opportunity to practice applying the Buddha Dharma, along with the support of the Sangha.

8. Chanting the Lotus Sutra is: an expression of gratitude, a purification for the mind, mouth, and body, a gift of service to all beings, and a way to connect with the Eternal Truth.

9. We study and practice the Enlightenment teachings for our own personal growth and to support others on their Path.

Nichiren quite fervently denounced Nembutsu...

He said, "Whether tempted by good or threatened by evil, if one casts aside the Lotus Sutra, one destines oneself for hell. Here I will make a great vow. Though I might be offered the rulership of Japan if I would only abandon the Lotus Sutra, accept the teachings of the Meditation Sutra, and look forward to rebirth in the Pure Land, though I might be told that my father and mother will have their heads cut off if I do not recite the Nembutsu—whatever obstacles I might encounter, so long as persons of wisdom do not prove my teachings to be false, I will never yield! All other troubles are no more to me than dust before the wind."

dsaly1969

I missed these new posts about RKK and Nichiren. To summarize Rissho Kosei-Kai has roots in Nichiren Buddhism but does not view itself as a "Nichiren" Buddhism. RKK does not view Nichiren as infalliable or inerrant or even necessarily authoritative. For example, RKK does not view the writings of Nichiren, the Gosho or Goibun, as authoritative as in Nichiren Shu but instead RKK placed primary authority on the study of the Lotus Sutra itself. Also, in RKK Nichiren is revered as a great Bodhisattva and practitioner of the Lotus Sutra but not necessarily as "Bodhisattva Superior Practice" (which is Nichiren Shu's view) who is a specific figure in the Lotus Sutra.

Therefore, RKK simple does not have to "deal" with Nichiren's statements as they are simply one man's opinions. RKK focuses on the inclsuiev Ekayana Buddhist message of the Lotus Sutra instead.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Tendai chants Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. I didn't scroll through the answers, so someone may have already said that. Pretty sure Shingon does also. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is chanted to affirm Mahayana's universal nature and the Buddha's skillful means.

Nichiren, just to add- never saw himself as outside of Tendai, but because he put much more emphasis on certain aspects like the Lotus Sutra> Nichiren Buddhism became a movement.

I may be wrong, but I think the Lotus Sutra is probably the core fundamental text of Japanese Buddhism, generally speaking. I know Zen places some importance on it too, but not sure to what degree honestly.

The Lotus Sutra IS actually the fundamental text of Tendai, but we don't think one shouldn't look at other Sutras. The Diamond Sutra for example is important in Tendai. Nichiren himself thought the Lotus Sutra should be solely insisted upon.

I like Nichiren when it comes to one or two things in his thinking. He is right that one should have faith in the Buddha if they practice. That faith in the Buddha is meritorious in itself. That chanting in faith is meritorious. That the Dharma is meritorious and forms an infinite storage of merits. (This is why we say the verses of repentance- because the historical view anyway is that the Buddha accepts admission of our wrongdoing and conveys merits, in addition to our own resolve to improve.)

However, Nichiren is only re-affirming a traditional Mahayana understanding there. I like that he emphasized faith so much, when not all teachers do.

Last edited: