• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing the Bible

Milton Platt

I guess this is geared to anyone who isn't Christian or sees the full bible as inspired in one way or another. That said.

What would you take out of the bible and put in the bible to make it a better example for people (not just Christians) to follow as a religious text?​

1. Many religious texts have killings in it. A lot of stories around killings by "god(s)" etc are supposed to teach morals of some sort. Since we also die in life, taking out killing in the Bible wouldn't change people anymore than taking out murder is against the law. It goes beyond killings.

2. Slavery in America, at least, is not present as it was years ago in another country. With that, in the past slaves were not people torn and whipped. They are usually convicted persons as you see those cleaning trash off the street doing their "time" or employees doing work for their bosses. It was regular place back them. We can't put today's morals on yesterdays standards.

3. Many religious texts have a concept of hell whether it be called a type of consequence for ones actions, a punishment, or an actual place. Nichiren Shonin says The Buddha taught hell is in our hearts and minds. Not all Christianity teaches hell as a place. Hell is just a consequence of the worse sin: rejecting god. If you reject your mother's love, why would you expect to receive it at the same time. And if the mother's love was actually good, wouldn't not having it mean you lost something you could have had to your benefit? (Outside of choice), if there is no light, there is darkness. No details just simple logic.

4. Most religions have some sort of bias and discrimination. Christianity is no exclusion.

People don't define the Bible. So instead of going off of what Christians define the bible as, from what you know of the Bible and to some of you have studied, what things would you take out of the bible and what would you put in to make people (not just Christians) better?

I don't find it authoritative or meaningful on the whole of it. It is full of mythology, numerology, and immorality. It could be treated like any other literary work (actually a compilation of individual anonymous works) and studied as a component to understanding both the times the individual pieces were written and the time in which the stories were compiled into a single volume.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Oooh. When I see a blunt contradiction I have to interject. Not only because I know the subject, but more ironically that someone on RF can "beat someone". Usually its a standstill or the conversation drops. Let me ask...
The Holy Spirit is within us all. It is the breath of God.

The Holy Spirit is not the breath of God

John 20:22 says (and extra for context)

21Again Jesus said to them, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent Me, so also I am sending you.” 22When He had said this, He breathed on themand said, “Receive the HolySpirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you withhold forgiveness from anyone, it is withheld.”…​

I dont know if you believe in the trinity. If you do, when jesus went to heaven, his (gods if you like) spirit came to the apostles during he pentecoast. Everyone received the holy spirit. When you are born again god breathes the holy spirit into you.

Breathed or given or whatever word that means god gave you the holy spirit (like god gave you his son) to be one in christ and thus in god.

So if god doesnt breathe the holy spirit into someone, how are you christian?

@savagewind Sorry. had to support your post. Threw me off guard.

But yeah all christians have the boly spirit breathed in them by god/christ (if trinitarian). How is that wrong? biblically?