• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changed my Religion Label

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
As you can see, I have changed my religion label from 'Judaism, Messianic' to 'Judaism, Ebionite'

I feel this label, obscure though it is, better describes my beliefs. An Ebionite is still a type of Messianic Jew, so I will still post here.

If you read Green Gaia's excellent sticky 'Messianic Judaism Overview' here, you will see that MJ is actually a wide spectrum of beliefs.
She talks about "The 'Torah'-pole" and I'm most certainly in that group, at the very end of the 'pole' in fact.

At the other end of the 'pole' is J4J, and I share nothing in common with them. Except for this forum.

Shalom

TalAbrams

Mazel tov! Glad to see the change.
Now you are an official member of the Heretical Judaizer Club.
The main problem I have had with the teachings of the church has always been Paul.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As you can see, I have changed my religion label from 'Judaism, Messianic' to 'Judaism, Ebionite'

I feel this label, obscure though it is, better describes my beliefs. An Ebionite is still a type of Messianic Jew, so I will still post here.

If you read Green Gaia's excellent sticky 'Messianic Judaism Overview' here, you will see that MJ is actually a wide spectrum of beliefs.
She talks about "The 'Torah'-pole" and I'm most certainly in that group, at the very end of the 'pole' in fact.

At the other end of the 'pole' is J4J, and I share nothing in common with them. Except for this forum.

Shalom

Does this mean we have to re-do our previous postings?
You didn't change your mind?...just your label.....

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Does this mean we have to re-do our previous postings?
You didn't change your mind?...just your label.....

I have always been an Ebionite of sorts, and all my posts are from that perspective. An Ebionite is a type of MJ as I said, one of many. I didn't wear the Ebionite label before now as there is a group of people who have hijacked the label but are not Jewish and are, quite frankly, a bit kooky. So there's a problem with this label. I'll just have to deal with it.

TalAbrams

Zardoz,
I spent much time on ebionite.org yesterday and then went on to Google Scholar for a secular view.
These people have always been a curiosity to me. I once traced them as far as 400 CE but lost them.
Much like all who opposed the mainline church of the time, they were slaughtered wherever they were found.
It is no wonder they went underground and all but disappeared.
I would love to see an Ebionite leader arise and elevate this group of Jews to a heretofore unknown worldwide acceptance.
While I was researching this it occurred to me that Ebionites are to Pauline x-tians
what Karaites are to modern Jews. Sad.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Good, you know not to bother with Ebionite dot com, obviously.

Yes, they were forced to assimilate into the mainstream Jewish community about that time, due to persecution. My wife claims to have met a genuine descendant of this group, but I have my doubts after all this time. Modern Ebionite movements are reconstructionist in nature.

Last edited:
The Ebionite Network

Other than the fact that it promotes vegetarianism and denies the validity of sacrifices (which I can refute), the FAQ is good at explaining what I, and I believe most modern Ebionites, believe.

I don't consider the term "Judaizer" to be offensive though; but since I would rather have a convert to mainstream Judaism than mainstream Christianity, it seems appropriate.

Also check this out-Yeshua/Jesus and Judaism versus Paul and Christianity

The only problem with that website is that the author believes Obama is the antichrist. While I certainly believe Obama is evil, that's probably going too far :p