• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge: I'm willing to convert if.......

Muffled

Jesus in me
The word "proof" makes me think of mathematics, law, text copy and alcohol. Religion (or science) not so much.
It is like trying to prove evolution. There is no way to go back in history and view what happened. The same is true of the Bible miracles. So the question is what evidence is there to support the concepts. For me I hear from God so that is a better source since He was there and knows all things.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Anyone can prove that the miracles of any kind in the major religious texts, actually happened.

Yes, that's right I am happy to become a Christian or a Muslim.

However, if these miracles cannot be proven, then you must reflect on your belief and the possibility that you believe in what you do, because of your upbringing.

Do not be afraid.
Just my perspective, but if you're willing to convert, and not to one specific belief system, on the "illustrations" rather than the "plot", perhaps you'd be better off to remain unattached and continue your "reading." I'm glad the pictures caught your attention, now try digging into the Word. You may never find a particular "genre" to suit you completely, and that's just fine.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Meh... I've always disliked these "change my mind" Steven Crowder style questions as they are never asked in earnest and are instead asked with the intention of making a condescending point

For world views to actually change, it takes much more than shallow gotcha questions

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Anyone can prove that the miracles of any kind in the major religious texts, actually happened.

However, if these miracles cannot be proven, then you must reflect on your belief and the possibility that you believe in what you do, because of your upbringing.

Do not be afraid.

You'd first have to have the mentality that the supernatural exists and can be causal for events in the world.
Without that, there can be no miracles.
If you never had that mentality or lost it somewhere along the way it's difficult it get it/get it back.

Reports of supernatural events exist because we probably don't understand the human psyche as well as we should.

jimb

Premium Member
While in the hospital.
While in the hospital.
While in the hospital.

Let that sink in.

The doctors were unable to cure my severe asthma attack. A pastor prayed "Jesus, heal this man" and I was instantly healed.

You let that sink in.

You're unable to accept what actually happened. Your unbelief has blinded you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Imagine if it was only Jesus and no doctors or hospital around.

Prognosis...... not very good.

I think mentality can have a lot to do with our personal health.
At least something that can promote a positive mental outlook can't hurt.

Hormones like adrenaline and dopiness has been proven to block pain receptors. Certainly spiritual belief/experiences can release those in the body.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, it is if we allow for the inexplicable. Which would be very silly of any of us to deny.

"Natural laws" are inferred from our observation of what happens. A miracle is something that transcends natural laws.

... but since natural laws are a product of what we've observed, any purported miracle, if substantiated, would be part of our observations of what happens and necessarily be incorporated into "the natural". This would make a substantiated miracle a contradiction in terms, since it would be simultaneously part of, and not part of, "the natural."

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The doctors were unable to cure my severe asthma attack. A pastor prayed "Jesus, heal this man" and I was instantly healed.

You let that sink in.

You're unable to accept what actually happened. Your unbelief has blinded you.

I am willing to bet some money it only happened after you have been administered medicine.

Ask that pastor to pray so God will heal lots of people with incurable diseases instantly too. You don't even need to bother telling me the result. It will show up on the news if it works.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Do not be afraid.
There's far more to religions than supposed miracles. Many folks go through and reflect on their beliefs without miracles having anything to do with it.

RestlessSoul

I am willing to bet some money it only happened after you have been administered medicine.

Ask that pastor to pray so God will heal lots of people with incurable diseases instantly too. You don't even need to bother telling me the result. It will show up on the news if it works.

A willingness on the part of their customers, to bet money on an outcome without access to all the pertinent information, is the reason bookmaking is such a lucrative business. I suggest you avoid gambling until you learn this important life lesson.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Do not be afraid.
Define your parameters.

Tomef

Do not be afraid.
If you toast several million pieces of bread you’ll get one with a Jesus face. Voila, a miracle. Post a pic of your Jesus toast once you’ve converted.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Natural laws" are inferred from our observation of what happens. A miracle is something that transcends natural laws.
Or appears to. We don't know. That's what makes it inexplicable. We call it a 'miracle' not because we know it defied natural law. But because we dont know that it didn't.
... but since natural laws are a product of what we've observed, any purported miracle, if substantiated, would be part of our observations of what happens and necessarily be incorporated into "the natural".
That's a bias we can't support, since we don't know the limitations of "natural law". All we know is what we think they might be according to what things look like to us. All a 'miracle' is, is something that looks like it defied natural law. But that doesn't mean that it did. Or that it didn't. It just means that it appeared to, to us.
This would make a substantiated miracle a contradiction in terms, since it would be simultaneously part of, and not part of, "the natural."
There is no contradiction when you accept that we don;t know when or if anything defied natural law or not. All we're talking about here are how things appeared to people at the time. And people are not very reliable witnesses.