• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cessation of physical suffering

dave_

My strongest fear is bodily pain.In the past i always thought about physical pain , horrible deaths and was very sensitive to pain.For some years i dont fear and feel much pain.Actually my pain treshhold became high.I think this is because i have a better mood and a peaciful life.But i am afraid to be like before.

Lately i am reading on buddhism and hindusim with the purpose of actively practicing one of these.I know purpose of these religions is to end suffering and reach nirvana but this may take a long time.So i am looking for a quicker way to be resistant to physical pain and never be like before.

There was a buddhist monk who self immolated himself and stayed in a meditative position while he was burning.I think if someone can endure such a pain he/she can endure every kind of physical pain.So my question is is there any kind of meditation , teaching etc specializing on decreasing bodily pain in dharmic religions?

Last edited:

Straw Dog

Pain is different from suffering. Bodily and emotional pains may happen, but it only causes suffering whenever we become attached to the passing pain. When we start obsessing over some particular pain, it creates a feedback loop making the mind re-live the experience over and over again. I practice equanimity and mindfulness. Meditation helps strengthen both. By becoming more aware of our obsessive thinking and attachment to pain, we can learn to let sensations, emotions, and thoughts come and go freely without attachment and causing suffering for ourselves.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

To answer yes, these paths can lead to cessation of suffering, physical or spiritual.
But is it a quick way ? Is "meditation" a kind of medecine to take to become quickly perfect and libertate oneself to suffering ? No :/

There is no quick way to get a wish fulfilled or any formula to attain supreme state in 4 months. It takes a life, sometimes more than a life, of hard work and dedication. Knowledge, devotion, listening to the teachings, selfless service to others...The complete cessation of suffering is only the end, when Realization or Liberation is attained.

I'm like you very afraid of physical pain too xD But I don't really care about it or ask for a boon when I do my Sadhana. However with the time I realized physical pain wasn't important. Can it damage my Self, Soul ? No. I think it's with this tough, but over the time I've grown much more resistant to heat. For example now I am able to open the oven when cooking, take the very heated plate or food with hands without protection. It hurt. But I just don't care or don't feel it.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
There's no "quick way" to end pain, physical or mental. Practice can certain end both, but know that physical and mental pain are somewhat different from each other. You've heard the saying "mind over matter", this is the way practice works. One must learn to control the mind, then the body will follow.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Pain is part of life. The dentist's chair, lost loves, depression. I think it better to accept it that try to find ways of getting rid of it... of course both great dharmic faiths have a final painless goal, but the only shortcut is hard work.

outis

There are different kinds of pain. I have a very limited experience in the matter. I have never undergone actual torture for instance.
But based on this limited experience, I think the replies you received understate how easy it can be to improve your handling of pain.
While I can not endorse Straw Dog's post, I agree mindfulness can be helpful. Religious stuff needs not to be involved. Related techniques which are taught outside of a religious context can also be useful.

Relief from pain is best obtained with drugs. But pain is in many circumstances not the real issue. Pain is usually a useful signal one should be sensitive to. Doctors may for instance refuse to give you an opiate shot you badly want until certain tests have been performed. That said, relief from pain is of course not something to look down upon!
But what you really need to beat many cases is anxiety and panic. You need to act rationally, suppress harmful reflexes, avoid passing out, communicate effectively in spite of convulsions and whatnot. In other words you need to keep cool (which is kind of what "nirvana" means actually).
I have a worst memory of the thirst from being off liquids last time I had surgery than of the pain that got me in the ER in the first place. I had to resist thirst but I didn't have to resist pain. When it's not associated with violence, confusion and whatnot, pain needn't be so bad. And it's cleansing (after a fashion).
Sorry if I went on a tangent which may not be relevant to the type of pain issues you have. But what I conclude from my limited experience is that you should consider facing your fear and learning to pay attention to pain and what it's telling you instead of rejecting it. And I think some guys in India back in the day had some of the right ideas about that.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
My strongest fear is bodily pain.In the past i always thought about physical pain , horrible deaths and was very sensitive to pain.For some years i dont fear and feel much pain.Actually my pain treshhold became high.I think this is because i have a better mood and a peaciful life.But i am afraid to be like before.
This phobia may be due to your previous life.
So i am looking for a quicker way to be resistant to physical pain and never be like before.
So my question is is there any kind of meditation , teaching etc specializing on decreasing bodily pain in dharmic religions?
Only and only tantra provides the quicker method. There are many other methods but they takes a long time but Tantra is quick and effective.

dave_

There is no quick way to get a wish fulfilled or any formula to attain supreme state in 4 months. It takes a life, sometimes more than a life, of hard work and dedication.

Only and only tantra provides the quicker method. There are many other methods but they takes a long time but Tantra is quick and effective.

I read in wikipedia that tantrics say it may take as short as 3 years to reach enlightment with Tantra but it requires a teacher-student relationship.There is not one buddhist near me so i am alone.Can i learn and practice Tantra by myself alone?

-------------------------------------------------
But what you really need to beat many cases is anxiety and panic. You need to act rationally, suppress harmful reflexes, avoid passing out, communicate effectively in spite of convulsions and whatnot. In other words you need to keep cool (which is kind of what "nirvana" means actually).

Pain is different from suffering. Bodily and emotional pains may happen, but it only causes suffering whenever we become attached to the passing pain. When we start obsessing over some particular pain, it creates a feedback loop making the mind re-live the experience over and over again.

You've heard the saying "mind over matter", this is the way practice works. One must learn to control the mind, then the body will follow.

When i am (at least partially) in control of my mind i feel less pain and generally have a peaceful mind but sometimes when my control weakens like early in the morning when i first wake up or when somehow i am weakened i feel sensitive to pain with the same degree as before.So will it be different with meditation?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I read in wikipedia that tantrics say it may take as short as 3 years to reach enlightment with Tantra but it requires a teacher-student relationship.There is not one buddhist near me so i am alone.Can i learn and practice Tantra by myself alone?

-------------------------------------------------
I'd be very wary of such claims.

dave_

I think it better to accept it that try to find ways of getting rid of it...

But this ruins my life.I became so passive and cowardly.I cannot even think in that state.Right now i feel very good like i am indestructable.So i dont want to go back.

Yogi1054

Shakti
There is nothing better than finding a true Tantric teacher and learning from them - but read some of the tantras can be a great help on the start of the tantric path

outis

But this ruins my life.I became so passive and cowardly.I cannot even think in that state.Right now i feel very good like i am indestructable.So i dont want to go back.
That sounds bad. Both states of mind sound like they could potentially be very dangerous for your health. You're not indestructible.
Have you discussed this with a medical doctor? If not, I think you'd better make it a priority. Some doctors are better than others so of course I'm not saying you should blindly trust the first you chance upon. But if you have serious issues, I would recommend against turning to religion as a way to avoid medical care. There are doctors who have a clue about "dharmic" techniques (maybe not in your area though).

dave_

That sounds bad. Both states of mind sound like they could potentially be very dangerous for your health. You're not indestructible.
Have you discussed this with a medical doctor? If not, I think you'd better make it a priority. Some doctors are better than others so of course I'm not saying you should blindly trust the first you chance upon. But if you have serious issues, I would recommend against turning to religion as a way to avoid medical care. There are doctors who have a clue about "dharmic" techniques (maybe not in your area though).

I dont think i am actually indestructable.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Pain is physical but the reaction to pain is mental. I myself have a very high tolerance for pain but what gives a person the ability to tolerate it is not mediation, drugs or divine power. It is simply the individuals choice on whether to acknowledge the pain. Meditation is not some mystical art that involves magic and spiritual endowment. Meditation is nothing else but stabilizing ones psychological concentration. You don't need to be in a cross legged stance like a guru or use overly complex rituals to meditate.
Don't become fixated on elaborate rituals when you should be worrying about the effectiveness of meditation upon your own psyche.