• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Central tenet to your belief

Raithie

atheist
What do you find to be the most (singular) convincing argument, experience, etc., of the existence of a god(s)?

If not, and you rely solely on faith, why do you consider this to be a virtue?

Alceste

Vagabond
Religious experience (a sudden, overwhelming sense of wonder and meaning) is often subjectively quite convincing to those who feel it, and is one of the few foundations for theistic belief I can relate to.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you want to know about other kinds of central tenets, or is your curiosity about belief in Gods only?

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
For myself having prayers answered. Being protected from many things in my life that could have caused harm but didn't, because of my closeness to God and Guru. Testimonies of the same things experienced by different people all over the planet. The infinitude of nature and the universe. I can look into the stars at night and know that nothing but a supreme intelligence could have created this planet and everything out there. Heightened awareness and superconscious experiences through deep Kriya meditation. The deep bliss, love, and joy that comes springing forth from my depths of being that is unlike anything you can feel otherwise. Feelings that you will not feel by normal external experiences. When I speak to God he answers by sending deep waves of love, bliss and joy over my being during meditation. My Guru has said this is how God shows himself more and more to you. The experiences get more deep as you progress. Eventually God does talk to you once he knows your faith and love is true and you call to him deeply.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Religious experience (a sudden, overwhelming sense of wonder and meaning) is often subjectively quite convincing to those who feel it, and is one of the few foundations for theistic belief I can relate to.

My basic tenet is love- loving my neighbors as myself, loving and praying for my enemies, loving my siblings in Jesus, loving God. Those were Jesus'/God's most important commandments.

Alceste

Vagabond
Could you expand on this?

It's difficult to expand on, really, since it is a subjective psychological experience. I get it from nature but others get it from prayer, meditation, ritual magic and who knows what else. For me it is a sense of wonder, peace and profound, indescribable meaningfulness (perhaps the tao that can not be named?). Others experience things differently. Kensho, rapture, enlightenment, whatever floats your boat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My central tenets are self-empowerment, and achieving a state of self-godhood.
As for arguments for the existence of God, while I can't exactly automatically call it God, I do believe it's very likely that some outside source created our universe. Now as to who is very open for interpretation. It might a God, it might be some crazy home based chemist. And given the violent nature of our universe, it might be that our universe was a mixture of common household chemicals that some some delinquent teenager in this higher universe concocted, and the big bag was the detonation of this cocktail bomb. Or perhaps an alien life form designed life on this planet. Again it's something higher/above us, but that doesn't mean it's god.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I guess only the supernatural. What are you referring to?

I was wondering what you want to know exactly. Gods are one thing. Central tenets for beliefs (I suppose you mean religions?) are really not at all the same thing.

Raithie

atheist
My basic tenet is love- loving my neighbors as myself, loving and praying for my enemies, loving my siblings in Jesus, loving God. Those were Jesus'/God's most important commandments.

Perhaps I phrased it badly.

What is it that convinces you most of the existence of a god(s)?

Raithie

atheist
I was wondering what you want to know exactly. Gods are one thing. Central tenets for beliefs (I suppose you mean religions?) are really not at all the same thing.

OP: "What do you find to be the most (singular) convincing argument, experience, etc., of the existence of a god(s)?"

I probably phrased the title poorly, as far as I know you can't edit it. The OP explains, I think, however.

Raithie

atheist
For myself having prayers answered. Being protected from many things in my life that could have caused harm but didn't, because of my closeness to God and Guru.

I don't mean to be offensive, but personally, I find that extremely insulting towards anyone who is not as fortunate as you. Is God ignoring blind children?

Testimonies of the same things experienced by different people all over the planet. The infinitude of nature and the universe. I can look into the stars at night and know that nothing but a supreme intelligence could have created this planet and everything out there.
That's your opinion, science can explain a surprising amount of everything that you see when staring towards the cosmos.

Heightened awareness and superconscious experiences through deep Kriya meditation. The deep bliss, love, and joy that comes springing forth from my depths of being that is unlike anything you can feel otherwise. Feelings that you will not feel by normal external experiences. When I speak to God he answers by sending deep waves of love, bliss and joy over my being during meditation. My Guru has said this is how God shows himself more and more to you. The experiences get more deep as you progress. Eventually God does talk to you once he knows your faith and love is true and you call to him deeply.
Personal experience, gotcha.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
I don't mean to be offensive, but personally, I find that extremely insulting towards anyone who is not as fortunate as you. Is God ignoring blind children?

Of course not. God loves and protects everyone. Blind children can be close to God as well. I'm not limiting God's protection to just those who love him. He loves us all the same, I was just merely stating that I notice he protects me because I'm ever watchful of the way he works in my life. It has been proven though that the Guru can lessen the karma of an individual. Its the power and blessing of having a Guru. I have many stories that I can recall where this has been shown in my life and my fellow disciples lives. That doesn't however mean that he forgets everyone else. He loves us all equally, and sometimes the Guru allows the bad thing to happen because he knows it will help strengthen the spirituality of the disciple.

That's your opinion, science can explain a surprising amount of everything that you see when staring towards the cosmos.

Of course its my opinion. Its my perspective. I can't help it if others view the universe differently than I do.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Perhaps I phrased it badly.

What is it that convinces you most of the existence of a god(s)?

Little things, such as the world around me. My prayers being answered. A feeling I get when I am in a Church building or in a synagogue- that I don't get anywhere else. And much more to put into words. It is nothing that would convince your average atheist.

Raithie

atheist
Of course not. God loves and protects everyone.

Except the people who suffer...?

Blind children can be close to God as well. I'm not limiting God's protection to just those who love him. He loves us all the same, I was just merely stating that I notice he protects me because I'm ever watchful of the way he works in my life.
You notice that he's protecting you after you decide/realise he's "works in [your] life"?

It has been proven though that the Guru can lessen the karma of an individual.
Citation please.

Its the power and blessing of having a Guru. I have many stories that I can recall where this has been shown in my life and my fellow disciples lives. That doesn't however mean that he forgets everyone else. He loves us all equally, and sometimes the Guru allows the bad thing to happen because he knows it will help strengthen the spirituality of the disciple.
I'm pretty confident that the child starving in Africa has prioritized surviving. I don't like the idea of anyone saying that spirituality is more important than living.
What of the kids that starve to death, people in wheelchairs, people dying of agonizing diseases, amputees, blind/deaf/mute people, deformed people etc., is God just allowing them to suffer in order to strengthen their faith? That sounds like a monster to me, to be frank.

Of course its my opinion. Its my perspective. I can't help it if others view the universe differently than I do.
That's the fantastic thing about science, it doesn't rely on opinions. It bases itself on nothing but hard facts and data. And the conclusion is most definitely not that of a divine creator.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
OP: "What do you find to be the most (singular) convincing argument, experience, etc., of the existence of a god(s)?"

I probably phrased the title poorly, as far as I know you can't edit it. The OP explains, I think, however.

Oh, if that is the case, then I guess there is none, while there is good evidence against at least the Abrahamic conceptions of same.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
Except the people who suffer...?

You notice that he's protecting you after you decide/realise he's "works in [your] life"?

Citation please.

I'm pretty confident that the child starving in Africa has prioritized surviving. I don't like the idea of anyone saying that spirituality is more important than living.
What of the kids that starve to death, people in wheelchairs, people dying of agonizing diseases, amputees, blind/deaf/mute people, deformed people etc., is God just allowing them to suffer in order to strengthen their faith? That sounds like a monster to me, to be frank.

That's the fantastic thing about science, it doesn't rely on opinions. It bases itself on nothing but hard facts and data. And the conclusion is most definitely not that of a divine creator.

I believe that every being lives past lives. We are all immortal souls on a brief visit to this school of life. There are laws that God has put into place that governs his physical and astral realms. This law is called Karmic law. In other words when one suffers in this life it is based on something they did in a past life or this life and therefore is coming back to them. It is the only way to explain suffering and why God allows it to happen. He wants to end suffering and the existance of pain and ignorance, but he has given us free will to choose how we want to live. God has given us examples of how to live through saints, but when people ignore these examples and dont listen to their conscience and commit evil acts they will sooner or later have to experience the consequences of that action. Its the same for good and noble acts. The seeming unjustified suffering you see is due to that individuals intricate past lives and their karma. If people were to suffer without that karmic justification then God would not be good and that is a contradiction to his nature. In other words it's people in this life or a previous one that cause their own suffering not God.