• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell Biology textbook?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Can anyone recommend a good cell bio book? I need to study for the teachers exam, and I managed to complete my undergrad program without taking this course, so I need something that will give me the information without being so dry that I fall asleep.. any suggestions?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
These were the books recommended to me during my undergraduate zoology degree. They're pretty basic if memory serves, but then I doubt you'd want to jump in at the deep end. They're probably into newer editions by now too, I just went by picture. :rolleyes:

Amazon.co.uk: Essential Cell Biology: An Introduction to the Molecular Biology of the Cell: Bruce Alberts,Dennis Bray,Alexander Johnson,Julian Lewis,Martin Raff,Keith Roberts,Peter Walter: Books

Amazon.co.uk: Molecular Biology of the Cell: Bruce Alberts: Books

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Thanks Halcyon! I'm going to the library in a bit, hopefully they'll have one or more :)

Yerda

Veteran Member
The one Halcyon mentioned sounds familiar so I probably used it, which means it was probably useful. There was also one by a fellow called Lodish that I liked. I'll see if I can find it.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The one Halcyon mentioned sounds familiar so I probably used it, which means it was probably useful. There was also one by a fellow called Lodish that I liked. I'll see if I can find it.
Here: :)
Amazon.co.uk: Molecular Cell Biology: Harvey Lodish, Arnold Berk, Chris A. Kaiser, Monty Krieger, Matthew P. Scott, Anthony Bretscher, Hidde Ploegh, Paul T. Matsudaira: Books

I've never used it tho. I used the Bruce Alberts book. Nice to see how some things stay the same.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've never used it tho. I used the Bruce Alberts book. Nice to see how some things stay the same.
How pretty is the cover of that edition! I'd buy it just for that picture. :D It looks like mitotic division surrounded by nerve cell staining/radiography (edit - Close up they don't actually look like neurons, maybe they're meant to look like microtubules).

Some dude did a presentation for the British Immunological Society when I was in 2nd year where he showed how to get visualisations like that with neurons. I didn't even listen to his name, he had a beautiful slide up as I entered the theatre.

I checked the link for the Alberts text. I know that one. I didn't like it.