• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrities In Religion

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm 18 (born in '87). I had heard their name before, and I kind of thought they were singers, but I didn't know for sure, and I certainly didn't know when they were from or what type of music.

BTW: I've never watched any olympics, let alone the Salt Lake ones, so I wasn't wondering about them. :D

jonny

Aqualung said:
I'm 18 (born in '87). I had heard their name before, and I kind of thought they were singers, but I didn't know for sure, and I certainly didn't know when they were from or what type of music.

BTW: I've never watched any olympics, let alone the Salt Lake ones, so I wasn't wondering about them. :D
They used to have one of those variety shows in the 1970s. My mom was obsessed with Donny. Forever, Donny toured with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Now he's on that pyramid game show. I don't know what Marie does now. I think she has a radio show or something.

Personally, I find them so cheesy that it makes me sick.

Aqualung

Tasty
What pyramid game show? :areyoucra Maybe I should just pretend like this thread never happened, and go back to living in my own little world...

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Aqualung said:
:biglaugh: Ok . The truth is , I only caught the closing act because I was at a friend's while it was on . :) I don't watch much of the Olympics neither .

But they were big , the Osmonds that is .

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Katzpur said:
Are you sure He's not Wiccan? ;)

Okay, that reminds me of another joke...

A Jewish man goes and visits a Rabbi about a personal concern of his.

"Rabbi," he says, "I am so upset about my son, I don't know what to do. I raised him a good Jew, taught him the Torah, and instructed him about the Sabbath. Well, I just learned at this last Passover that he converted to Catholicism. Please tell me what I should do to reason with him!"The Rabbi answers: "Funny you should mention this. The exact same thing happened to my son. I taught him everything I know to make him follow in my footsteps and become a good Rabbi like me, and the next thing I know, he converted to Catholicism and became a Priest! I truly don't know what to tell you: maybe we should ask Yahweh for some insights."

To two men started praying: "Yahweh, G-d almighty, Creator of the Universe, please come to our rescue. Our firstborn sons have converted to Catholicism! What should we do?"

A thundering voice responds: "WELL, TELL ME ABOUT IT!!"
How could I have lived so long and not heard that one.
At least I knew about Donny.

Great

Terry____________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
The most famous current Orthodox Christian is probably Tom Hanks (though I find him to be far from a good example). Then there's Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) and probably several other actors of Greek, Russian etc. descent. An old (now passed away) famous Orthodox Christian is Telly Savalas. I'd guess you'll find that most Orthodox 'celebrities' are cradle, the only converts I know of being Tom Hanks and the composer John Taverner.

James

cardero

Citizen Mod
Speaking about the Osmonds, weren't the Jackson 5 Jehovah Witnesses when they started their career? If I am not mistaken both groups came out around the same time and according to those VH1 movies their musical careers created some sort of friction between their families and their religion.

As a side note Mickey Spillane, author of all those Mike Hammer mystery novels, is a Jehovah's Witness and supposedly lives in Newburgh, NY (7 Miles from me) last time I checked.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
cardero said:
Speaking about the Osmonds, weren't the Jackson 5 Jehovah Witnesses when they started their career? If I am not mistaken both groups came out around the same time and according to those VH1 movies their musical careers created some sort of friction between their families and their religion.
Yeah, the Jackson 5 were Jehovah's Witnesses. (Note to Aqualung: that would be Michael Jackson's family. Ever heard of him? :D ) I'm not aware of any friction between the families or the churches other than perhaps some professional jealousy. I do know that Donny Osmond and Michael Jackson have always considered themselves friends. Weird, huh?

Faint

Though hedonism isn't really a religion, Hugh Hefner is probably the most famous promoter of the philosophy.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think Bono of U2 is a Christian. If fact I read that at one time they thought of disbanding U2 to join up with a Christian band. At that time Adam Clayton, the bassist was the only one who wasn't a Christian. Not sure about now.

Buttercup said:
I think Bono of U2 is a Christian. If fact I read that at one time they thought of disbanding U2 to join up with a Christian band. At that time Adam Clayton, the bassist was the only one who wasn't a Christian. Not sure about now.

dont give the music industry ideaz just because your a strongly religous monkey.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

There have been various Baha'is who might qualify, including Seals and Crofts, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Susan Engle, Red Grammer, the late great Dizzy Gillespie, Carol Lombard, Lloyd Haynes, Kevin Locke (honored by the Library of Congress for his native American flute playing and hoop dancing), and more!

Robert Hayden, who was Poet Laureate of the United States, was also Baha'i.

And of course there are vaious others, including a California Supreme Court justice who probably doesn't qualify as a "celebrity." :)

So there are a few of us here and there. . . .

Best,

Bruce

Faint

Buttercup said:
Bono is a Christian, Catholic actually--though his views are very different than what might be considered traditional (he thinks God is female, for instance..."she moves in mysterious ways" etc). Edge and Larry are also very christian. Adam is not and this has caused occasional friction in the band. In U2s early days they almost stopped playing music altogether so Bono and Edge could commit themselves more to their faith. Heh--it's something of a miracle that never happened.