• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic - Christian (Same or Different)

Which are you?

• Catholic

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Christian

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It is more important to find out what God wants you to do than to just be happy with what you think He wants.
Okay... o_O I guess that's the best we can expect from a lostandwanderingsoul.

We're supposed to find out what God wants us to do, not what we think He wants us to do. If it's that simple, why are you still a lostandwanderingsoul?

David1967

Premium Member
Okay... o_O I guess that's the best we can expect from a lostandwanderingsoul.

We're supposed to find out what God wants us to do, not what we think He wants us to do. And we're supposed to go about doing that how?
Hello Katz, Did you see the disclaimer I added to that post?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I thought I had it covered in the original post with the part about sincerely seeking His will.;)
Isn't that all any of us can really do? Unless we expect to receive a personal visitation from Him, doing what we sincerely believe He expects of us ought to be (and I believe will be) sufficient. I read a quote by a Catholic (St. Gregory, I believe) that I really liked. It said, "Fundamental righteousness is based on adherence to what one knows to be right."

lostwanderingsoul

But what if what you sincerely believe is not actually what God wants? Can anyone really be sure? Again, the mentally sick murderer may sincerely believe in what he is doing but that does not make it right. Is there any chance that what you sincerely believe may also not be right. Not saying you are mentally sick or a murderer but can anyone be really sure what he believes is really what God wants? That is why I continue to seek the truth even though I also am satisfied that my beliefs are correct. Do you continue to seek anything or just sit back and follow what you believe?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
But what if what you sincerely believe is not actually what God wants? Can anyone really be sure? Again, the mentally sick murderer may sincerely believe in what he is doing but that does not make it right. Is there any chance that what you sincerely believe may also not be right. Not saying you are mentally sick or a murderer but can anyone be really sure what he believes is really what God wants? That is why I continue to seek the truth even though I also am satisfied that my beliefs are correct. Do you continue to seek anything or just sit back and follow what you believe?
My religion encourages its members to always seek for truth and to accept truth regardless of where it may be found.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That doesn't mean you'll necessarily know what that is. Just saying..;)
You're absolutely right. But I "know" as well as you do, unless you've sat down with God in your living room and had a face-to-face discussion with Him. ;)

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
And since he is mentally sick, a loving God would probably take this into account when judging him.

Lucky him.

Does being mentally divergent give you an advantage when it comes to where you spend eternity?

Ciao

- viole

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Your post is an opinion.

Well it certainly could be an opinion but based on much study and reading of Scripture.
"Opinion" works for me if it works for you.
However The Catholic Church being part of Christendom fits every definition of
Christendom I've read.
From Wiki:
Christendom[1][2] has several meanings. In a cultural sense, it refers to the religion itself, or to the worldwide community ofChristians, adherents of Christianity. In its historical sense, the term usually refers to the medieval and early modern period, during which the Christian world represented a geopoliticalpower juxtaposed with both paganism and especially the military threat of the Muslim world. In the more limited and traditional sense of the word, it refers to the sum total of nations in which the Catholic Church is the established religion of the state, or which have ecclesiastical concordats with the Holy See.

In a contemporary sense, it may simply refer collectively toChristian majority countries or countries in which Christianity dominates[1] or nations in which Christianity is the established religion.

You can argue with Wiki if you like.

David1967

Premium Member
Well it certainly could be an opinion but based on much study and reading of Scripture.
"Opinion" works for me if it works for you.
However The Catholic Church being part of Christendom fits every definition of
Christendom I've read.
From Wiki:
Christendom[1][2] has several meanings. In a cultural sense, it refers to the religion itself, or to the worldwide community ofChristians, adherents of Christianity. In its historical sense, the term usually refers to the medieval and early modern period, during which the Christian world represented a geopoliticalpower juxtaposed with both paganism and especially the military threat of the Muslim world. In the more limited and traditional sense of the word, it refers to the sum total of nations in which the Catholic Church is the established religion of the state, or which have ecclesiastical concordats with the Holy See.

In a contemporary sense, it may simply refer collectively toChristian majority countries or countries in which Christianity dominates[1] or nations in which Christianity is the established religion.

You can argue with Wiki if you like.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague. You misunderstand my meaning. Of course I believe that Catholicism is Christian ,it is your statement " The Catholic Church is part of Christendom, the great masses of false Christianity." That ,I rightfully stated was your opinion. You have no authority to label them as "false Christianity" .

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Lucky him.

Does being mentally divergent give you an advantage when it comes to where you spend eternity?

Ciao

- viole
Hmmm. Not sure what you're getting at. I would think that God is going to judge everyone fairly. Is there something wrong with that, in your opinion?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Hmmm. Not sure what you're getting at. I would think that God is going to judge everyone fairly. Is there something wrong with that, in your opinion?

Yes, in a sense it is a bit unfair. Towards the sane ones.

I would trade sanity with insanity anytime if that makes it easier for me to spend the rest of eternity in a nice place. A few decades as a crazy person pale in comparison with an eternity of bliss. Nothing finite, as painful as it can be, is relevant compared with infinity.

So, what did they do to be born with such an advantage?

Ciao

- viole

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, in a sense it is a bit unfair. Towards the sane ones.

I would trade sanity with insanity anytime if that makes it easier for me to spend the rest of eternity in a nice place. A few decades as a crazy person pale in comparison with an eternity of bliss. Nothing finite, as painful as it can be, is relevant compared with infinity.

So, what did they do to be born with such an advantage?
Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion, isn't it? I am quite grateful for my sound mental health and would not even consider trading it for insanity. I'm curious as to why you have read my post to mean that the sane are forfeiting eternal bliss just for having been blessed to be sane during mortality, as I certainly said nothing I can think of that would imply that.

Something tells me you just enjoy a good argument, and will say whatever it takes to instigate one. Am I right, viole?