• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA's new pro-LGBTQ+ inmate law

Tambourine

It's not a rumor.

A bunch of guys get locked up together without any women. They're criminals, generally, with little regard for other people's "feelings". Sex happens.

Who do you think gets it?
Tom
One would think that the justice system would post guards or wardens that would prevent such things, but perhaps that goes against the spirit of American "justice"?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
One would think that the justice system would post guards or wardens that would prevent such things, but perhaps that goes against the spirit of American "justice"?

If the guards ask if anything happened, the prisoners who witnessed it have to say no, anyway. Snitches wear stitches in American prison.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Are prisoners not usually under surveillance?

I was kind of beating around the bush and didn't want to say this but...

In some ways the justice system is a bit broken in America right now. I don't care to get into every detail, but American jail usually makes people worse rather than better. And trying to be friends with the guards doesn't always help at all. Think of the guards as more like military sargeants rather than people looking out for you.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Honestly, as soon as people act that way, I'm fine with revoking their "transgender" label. Many were never likely transgender to begin with. And wouldn't get any support from the transgender community even if so.

The real issue with these articles is there are politicians in America and maybe elsewhere that will campaign against all transgender people using those sources and slowly try to strip them of their rights, saying it's for protection of others, etc.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Honestly, as soon as people act that way, I'm fine with revoking their "transgender" label. Many were never likely transgender to begin with. And wouldn't get any support from the transgender community even if so.

The real issue with these articles is there are politicians in America and maybe elsewhere that will campaign against all transgender people using those sources and slowly try to strip them of their rights, saying it's for protection of others, etc.

Because the US State doesn't want to spend any money on health issues, ...which would create more professionals in the penitentiary system.
Professionals who would prevent these things from happening.
Imho:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

How do you know if they're not really transgender anyway?

It's a general word that people who experience it probably need some documentation they are treated for gender dysphoria rather than take their word for it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
How do you know if they're not really transgender anyway?

It's a general word that people who experience it probably need some documentation they are treated for gender dysphoria rather than take their word for it.

Transgender for me is more about gender dysphoria and people who wish they were another gender and so on and so forth. But a man in a dress looking to attack women from it like in that article, and so on and so forth... it's unlikely they ever really had what I see as the spirit of transgenderism.

And though it may require some mental gymnastics, I don't think saying that you'll revoke someone's identity card for bad behavior like the people in those articles is out of the question. If I'm a Democrat, and I strongly support racism, I'd expect some people not to see me as a Democrat any more. Just keep it fair and aim for the best rather than degrading people when you don't see them as X identity for certain reasons.

As for how I know about transgender people.... well I have been on HRT before and now identify as nonbinary. You don't really need a degree to try to spot some of your own, but others who are not, might.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Also, I didn't want to stop talking there.

Most places now use the Informed Consent model. People go in, say they want HRT and after a short talk and assuming there's no red flags, they are usually prescribed it. Gone are some of the days when it's up to a psychiatrist and you need a letter. I'm sure some places still do it, but it's an older form of care.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
As a transgender male, would your desire to be imprisoned with cis males be greater than your fear of being raped continuously for being the only male with a vagina????? Where do you think you would feel safer, with violent males or mostly lesbian women?? Seems the Governor of California isn't thinking clearly on this subject.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Also, I didn't want to stop talking there.

Most places now use the Informed Consent model. People go in, say they want HRT and after a short talk and assuming there's no red flags, they are usually prescribed it. Gone are some of the days when it's up to a psychiatrist and you need a letter. I'm sure some places still do it, but it's an older form of care.

Hm. Do you know why the letter method isn't used anymore? Most if not all illnesses etc one needs some sort of a medical professional evaluation and in one way or another approval for treatment. In many non medical related cases, the conditions (rather than illness) must be approved by ADA (American with Disabilities) to be classified for acknowlegement.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I was kind of beating around the bush and didn't want to say this but...

In some ways the justice system is a bit broken in America right now. I don't care to get into every detail, but American jail usually makes people worse rather than better. And trying to be friends with the guards doesn't always help at all. Think of the guards as more like military sargeants rather than people looking out for you.

It's an ugly embarrassment.
I think that the real problem comes down to this. When you're dealing with low information voters, it's easy to sell "tough on crime" agendas. But it's hard to sell rehabilitation and adequate protection and mental health treatment and that sort of thing.
The fundamental problem is low information voters and the representatives they elect.
Tom

Tambourine

We don't need to revoke any labels; this is perpetrated by, and happens to, people of all genders.

It's just that transphobes tend to jump at any little piece of news that makes trans people in particular look bad, while conspicuously avoiding mention of any piece of news that would convey the opposite.