• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car powered by Compressed Air

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Even without competition and just comparing it to what exists, I'd want this for certain purposes (driving solo, at leisurely place, to go around the neighborhood),
But why? In what way is this inefficient propulsion an improvement over what we already have? I don't understand how this is better, instead of just a novelty toy.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But why? In what way is this inefficient propulsion an improvement over what we already have? I don't understand how this is better, instead of just a novelty toy.
Tom
I'm working on a design for a car which needs no energy.
The front wheels are smaller than the rear, so it's always going downhill.
I can't believe no one has invented this before!

Acim

Revelation all the time
Tom

It currently isn't (an improvement), but I see that as mainly up to the market. Like asking why do we need umpteen different car makers when none are producing anything significantly different or significantly improved upon what's come before it. Being mass produced would influence my opinion greatly on whether or not I desired to have it for the purposes I said.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It currently isn't (an improvement), but I see that as mainly up to the market.
I see no possible advantage. Compressed air is great for weight reduction in equipment. Because the machine is tethered to a central energy supply. Other than that it's a bulky and inefficient energy storage strategy. You can't have a car that needs a hose attached to the house. This is all old technology.
I don't see any potential advantage over electricity. What do you mean?
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It currently isn't (an improvement), but I see that as mainly up to the market. Like asking why do we need umpteen different car makers when none are producing anything significantly different or significantly improved upon what's come before it. Being mass produced would influence my opinion greatly on whether or not I desired to have it for the purposes I said.
Improvements are typically evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
And cars are still improving...
- More efficient engines
- Cleaner engines
- Lighter cars
- Better life & reliability
- Better crashworthiness
- Better corrosion resistance
- Tolerance of ethanol
- More capability, eg, GPS, internet
- Better aerodynamics

Acim

Revelation all the time
I don't see any potential advantage over electricity. What do you mean?

The obvious one strikes me as being less expensive than the alternative(s). Not true now, but could one day be true. Could be less expensive to maintain. Could be possibly easier for average person to maintain.

Other than that, your point is well taken. I currently see it as a novelty/toy, and not something I'm likely to get anytime soon. Still think it's a good idea, because competition within the market for personal automotive vehicles is IMO a good thing. The more the merrier as long as they demonstrably work.