• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't get over your pet dying? Clone them!

Here comes Dagon with his usual fecal opinion drop:
Cloning is (as Frankenstein said I think) not the same individual. Even Frankenstein's monster was a composite of parts and had a new personality perhaps than any particular individual, except in the Sean Bean version where he seemed to still retain the prior personality and mind of the Sean Bean character after being Frankenfried.

Anyway, clones are, like I think maybe Frankenstein said, at best twin-like and not the same individual at all, not sharing their original brain or memories or if there is any sort of "soul" not likely to be sharing that either.

The original "person" of that dog is dead and gone, and even one's memories of that individual are not likely to be considered the actual individual by most standards.

That being said, if one does make a clone, that clone only has the appearance and genetic material repeated or whatever, but is a different person and should be treated as a different person.

Should people make designer animals, even designer babies? Yes, why not? I can not find any reason not to "mess with nature", eradicate diseases, reduce elements of "chance" or accidents, deformities, and what not. It is a person you are making, and you are making the image of this person, just like giving them a name, they also didn't really apparently who they chose as their parents, and if it is said they really did choose them, then it can be argued they eithet chose poorly or chose knowing and somehow fully informed that their parents would genetically modify them to look a certain way. The results may be even better than the "art" of "nature" left to "chance" which has led to many apparent unfortunate results.

So what exactly is happening in the article that I didn't even read? What I guess is happening is that people are getting a dog bred that looks like their former dog, its a new dog, it looks like the other dog they used to have, sort of like how lots of dogs look the same or similar to each other and even some people from all around the world.

This may start happening with human babies (and probably has, lots of times, all over the world), and what the result of it is, is more new peoplr who look like other people.

So, I don't see the problem really. I think people should interfere with genes and genetics to eradicate disease at least, and if they can help people to be stronger, healthier, happier, maybe it won't be so bad in comparison to what "nature" has done or what "cruder genetic manipulation techniques" have produced in certain breeds of dogs which are widely accepted and re-produced, who have trouble breathing, eating, living, walking, but aww how cute, look at him waddle over. Surely that dog might have enjoyed long legs that could help it not struggle as much, but then again, maybe looking unfortunate has gotten that dog a better life in the lap of luxury for a few years.

So, what argument can really be made that people should not breed appearances they want? People also choose their mates and sexual partners sometimes with some thought or hope regarding the possible appearance of their children to be something they hope they might like and love, they were attracted to people (hopefully) that they didn't mind looking at either.

In the article I scarcely read, it just appeared that the Rodriguez person was more than likely some kind of idiot who was insisting that this new dog was somehow their old dog? I don't know, I just guessed since I didn't read it and assumed they were probably some kind of exhibitionist imbecile or whatever who doesn't think much and doesn't seem to realize that the two dogs are not the same person and one is no longer alive and this one is a new dog that looks the same or similar.

I'm almost glad I didn't read the article, because even this one I'm inventing through guesses is pissing me off.

Can someone explain to me what is wrong about making a baby or a person appear a certain way or increasing the chances they appear a certain way before they are born and how that doesn't already basically occur in at least some haphazard fashion?

People often expect us to read things that make arguments they
themselves won't make. This demands more time than the reading
material is often worth.
I'll address what you post. If the article makes additional arguments,
I'm sure you can state them in a few sentences.

Ooo! I too didn't read the damned thing! I made some funny comments regarding not reading it though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

No.

same as buying sports cars, mansions,
yachts, pure bred pets, art, racing camels, & antique engines.
To see them being the same regarding one aspect, ie,
being bought & sold, is not to equate them.
For example, I could torture a sports car, but not a dog.
Thus as you can see, there are still differences.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
To see them being the same regarding one aspect, ie,
being bought & sold, is not to equate them.
For example, I could torture a sports car, but not a dog.
Thus as you can see, there are still differences.
You simply listed them - animate and inanimate together - therefore taken by the reader as comparable.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What is your ethical argument against cloning?

I am not for or against cloning in the abstract, my objection is in regard to this particular thread topic.

A human could give or withhold informed consent to their being cloned, obviously a dog cannot. It is only the human attitude of presumed superiority compared to the rest of the animal kingdom which means humans can, and clearly do, treat all other species as commodities to be used as seen fit, on the merest of whims in some cases.

The fundamentals of what constitues "living" and "consciousness" are yet barely understood by science but we blithely countenance cloning another animal to help us deal with our grief. What arrogance. They'll get an identical twin, that disappointingly turns out to have a different personality. Never mind, get the behavioural psychologists in and train it to mimic the dead dog.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed. We're likely going to destroy ourselves so it doesn't really matter, I guess. We're too hubristic and stupid to survive.

Eh, I'm not that pessimistic or cynical about it most days.

One of the things I've learned through life experiences, whether it's studying the sciences, studying history, or just having things happen to me personally is that things tend to flow in interconnected cycles and that all things have benefits and drawbacks depending on point of view. To me the real question is what set of benefits and drawbacks folks are willing to accept in their lives, and to what extent the subject has any real control over that selection.

We always have & always will wrestle with how to use technology.
Cloning is just another tool, albeit one very difficult to discuss
(as this thread shows).
Could it be that religious attitudes about "playing God" are at work?

Not for me, no. Humans are already agents of the gods in my view, so humans are not "playing" at this at all - they are. As I mused above, I mostly see it as a matter of what one wishes to accept in one's lives or what gods one wishes to serve or be. Put another way, it is about living in accord with one's character or sense of virtue and honor. There's also the importance of taking responsibility for the consequences of that way of life, such as recognizing that all things come at cost. Don't walk the walk if you don't want to pay the toll.

To say genetic engineering - cloning or otherwise - is "just" another tool is far too dismissive of its ramifications. This is the problem a lot of humans have - they are way, way too dismissive of the consequences of their actions or taking responsibility for the costs paid for their behaviors. I wager human use of technology wouldn't be such a monumental problem if otherwise were the case, but it isn't and won't be.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You simply listed them - animate and inanimate together - therefore taken by the reader as comparable.
In one respect.

Many things are fungible commodities, eg, mops, tops, steaks, stakes.
Despite having that trait in common, they're different things in other ways.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am not for or against cloning in the abstract, my objection is in regard to this particular thread topic.

A human could give or withhold informed consent to their being cloned, obviously a dog cannot. It is only the human attitude of presumed superiority compared to the rest of the animal kingdom which means humans can, and clearly do, treat all other species as commodities to be used as seen fit, on the merest of whims in some cases.

The fundamentals of what constitues "living" and "consciousness" are yet barely understood by science but we blithely countenance cloning another animal to help us deal with our grief. What arrogance. They'll get an identical twin, that disappointingly turns out to have a different personality. Never mind, get the behavioural psychologists in and train it to mimic the dead dog.
I just don't recognize animals (non-humans) having
the right to choose/not choose being cloned.