• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancel Culture Comedy

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There's going to be a new TV channel in the UK, a sort of Fox thing. Yay. It's for free speaking, so you know what that means. One thing they are going to fight back against is cancel culture. As part of this drive, there will be certain types of guests that they won't be giving air time to. Question: Is that
A. Hypocrisy.
B. Irony.
C. Stupidity.
D. Standing up for what normal people think.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
5 Tricks People Who Complain About 'Cancel Culture' Stole From Comedy | Cracked.com

Cancel Culture, a buzzword that really has no meaning, except give me clicks.
"Cancelled" has even showed up here, being used by some members. Obama has criticized it for not being activism, it got Bill Maher uninvited from giving a graduation commencement speech, and people really do say they "cancelled" someone or something they don't like. It even has its own Wiki page.
Cancel culture - Wikipedia.
And I forgot about this letter featured in Harper's, including signers such as Noam Chomsky.
A Letter on Justice and Open Debate - Wikipedia

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's going to be a new TV channel in the UK, a sort of Fox thing. Yay. It's for free speaking, so you know what that means. One thing they are going to fight back against is cancel culture. As part of this drive, there will be certain types of guests that they won't be giving air time to. Question: Is that
A. Hypocrisy.
B. Irony.
C. Stupidity.
D. Standing up for what normal people think.

It's cancel culture, of course.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sure it has meaning.
But those who engage in it would deny it exists.
They blame it on the other side. Trump has a long list of what he wants cancelled: Major League Baseball, Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines, JPMorgan Chase, ViacomCBS, Citigroup, Cisco, UPS and Merck.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
They blame it on the other side. Trump has a long list of what he wants cancelled: Major League Baseball, Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines, JPMorgan Chase, ViacomCBS, Citigroup, Cisco, UPS and Merck.
Out of curiosity, what’s Trump’s beef with Coca-Cola? Is he a Pepsi man?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Yup, the right just doesn't call what they do Cancel Culture, it's a boycott or shattering keurigs or burning Nikes or whatever.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
"Cancelled" has even showed up here, being used by some members. Obama has criticized it for not being activism, it got Bill Maher uninvited from giving a graduation commencement speech, and people really do say they "cancelled" someone or something they don't like. It even has its own Wiki page.
Cancel culture - Wikipedia.
And I forgot about this letter featured in Harper's, including signers such as Noam Chomsky.
A Letter on Justice and Open Debate - Wikipedia

If someone says or does something stupid, and another organization wants nothing to do with them because of it, it's not cancellation, IMO.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone says or does something stupid, and another organization wants nothing to do with them because of it, it's not cancellation, IMO.

In the Right's world, that's just the "free market" most of the time. Until the "free market" negatively affects something they like, in which case they turn it into a culture war.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never said that cancel culture didn't have bi-partisan appeal.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not necessarily over something stupid. Maher was "cancelled" because he criticizes religion, including Islam (Religilious certainly didn't get the same response when Christianity was the target). It could be a photo from way back whenever, and mistakes of the past are brought up as if they are new.
Really, it's nothing new. It just has new labels. Such as how it is really no different than PC Christians got the show GCB actually canceled (it targeted the holier than thou types with comedy and made them into the hypocritical jokes they are). Or like years ago and some people upset when Phil Anselmo, drunk off of white wine, cracked a "white power" joke. Who cares? The people who made a fuss aren't perfect angels themselves.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
5 Tricks People Who Complain About 'Cancel Culture' Stole From Comedy | Cracked.com

Cancel Culture, a buzzword that really has no meaning, except give me clicks.

Whilst I would agree it doesn't have a clearly defined meaning, I think (mostly due to social media) people being impacted by minor mistakes or being taken out of context even is more of a thing now than in the past.
People want to view much of history...including people's personal histories...through the lens of current accepted behaviour. This seems quite problematic to me.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Whilst I would agree it doesn't have a clearly defined meaning, I think (mostly due to social media) people being impacted by minor mistakes or being taken out of context even is more of a thing now than in the past.
People want to view much of history...including people's personal histories...through the lens of current accepted behaviour. This seems quite problematic to me.

While I am not disagreeing, because that is happening.

It more often then not seems to get thrown around as a buzzword to target opposing sides/viewpoints.