• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian baby has 3 parents on her birth certificate.

Alceste

Vagabond
This is a cool story -

Della Wolf is B.C.'s 1st child with 3 parents on birth certificate - British Columbia - CBC News

The gist of it is that a lesbian couple wanted the father of their child to be more than just a donor - they wanted his ongoing involvement in the child's life. After negotiating with a friend, they made arrangements for the father to be a legal guardian while the couple has full custody and financial responsibility.

What do you think? Great idea? Bad idea? Slippery slope to the destruction of all that is moral and righteous in the world?

Me, I think when it comes to adults sharing responsibility for raising children, the more the merrier.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This is a cool story -

The gist of it is that a lesbian couple wanted the father of their child to be more than just a donor - they wanted his ongoing involvement in the child's life. After negotiating with a friend, they made arrangements for the father to be a legal guardian while the couple has full custody and financial responsibility.

What do you think? Great idea? Bad idea? Slippery slope to the destruction of all that is moral and righteous in the world?

Me, I think when it comes to adults sharing responsibility for raising children, the more the merrier.

Great.
This kind of approach, both from legal parents and Canada's registration 'mindset', shows a very good and healthy attitude..... imo.

I can only hope that the UK registration officialdom would flex in this way.....

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm wondering how child support laws would work there, if at all.

All three parties have a legal agreement. The women have full custody and fiscal responsibility, the father is a legal guardian with ongoing access but no financial responsibility.

freethinker44

Stop worryin'..... :)
Where the natural father and both parents agree to a situation, and the registration officials agree to it...... let's stop worrying.
:)

There's precedent for justifying worrying. At least in the US there is, I don't know about Canada.

Kansas court says sperm donor must pay child support - CNN.com
Mass. woman sues to seek identity of sperm donor to get medical help for her daughters | masslive.com
Arlington sperm donor wins appeal, won't pay child support | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Pa. Sperm Donor Wins Child Support Case - CBS News

The laws concerning sperm donations haven't caught up to the technology. There's plenty of room to worry. But what I was curious about was whether they are all going to cohabitate, or if the one or more who doesn't has to pay child support. And a lot of child support laws are based on who has more than 50% of custody, so if they split up and share custody with the child living with each person 33% of the year, what does that mean for who is entitled to and who has to pay child support?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
All three parties have a legal agreement. The women have full custody and fiscal responsibility, the father is a legal guardian with ongoing access but no financial responsibility.
A novel situation to be sure, but if the father does have actual legal guardianship too, then he could force undesired things for other two to consider. Legally, it could be a bit of a sticky wicket if the relationship soured between one, two or all three of them.

Alceste

Vagabond
A novel situation to be sure, but if the father does have actual legal guardianship too, then he could force undesired things for other two to consider. Legally, it could be a bit of a sticky wicket if the relationship soured between one, two or all three of them.

True, that. But isn't it always?

MD

qualiaphile
I was raised by 6 people growing up, my parents and both sets of grandparents. I would spend the weekends with my dads parents while the weekdays with my own parents and my maternal grandparents.

During my teenage years my family fell apart and I only had 1 parent and that was very difficult for my sister and I. It takes a village to raise a child, all the power to these people.