• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada heading towards prosecuting thought crimes (a la "Minority Report") via C-63

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am not Canadian, but I do own property there, I just skimmed Canada Bill C-63 and it seems to be talking only about digital content. Am I missing something?
Even that is pretty bad. Do it in one place, they can do it in another.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You say a first reading of a bill is pretty bad but dismiss talks of murdering women who get an abortion as "just a meeting"?
Do you think this bill was just pulled out of a hat?
Probably due to the same fact you have a woman already murdered for having an abortion that hasn't even happened at all.

Wirey

Fartist
If the politicians were able to agree to pass such legislation, why would you have any more faith in the courts to be reasonable enough to override it?
The law shouldn't even be there in the first place!
In Canada, the courts are less ideological than they are in the States.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
That doesn't seem to be the case given the exception.

I don't know their laws, but I don't think they opened the floodgates for he-said-she-said hearsay cases flooding their courts.
like I was told, look at section 11

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
like I was told, look at section 11
By a member known for adding partisan spin to things. As I pointed out, they made it clear offense isn't the case amd I really doubt they are going to open themselves to a flood of hearsay cases.

Wu Wei

By a member known for adding partisan spin to things. As I pointed out, they made it clear offense isn't the case amd I really doubt they are going to open themselves to a flood of hearsay cases.
I don't read it as such...I read the bill and interpreted from that... not what was said by any member.... I looked for the Bill myself too

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't read it as such...I read the bill and interpreted from that... not what was said by any member.... I looked for the Bill myself too
I really doubt it's that wide open/open season on people. After all, Jordan Peterson hyped his own martyrdom up by insisting he'd get fired over deliberately misnaming and misgendering students over a Canadian law. All that happened is it became another example when Peterson made himself into an ***.

Wu Wei

I really doubt it's that wide open/open season on people. After all, Jordan Peterson hyped his own martyrdom up by insisting he'd get fired over deliberately misnaming and misgendering students over a Canadian law. All that happened is it became another example when Peterson made himself into an ***.
What!!!! How the heck did gender get into this..... I'm just going by what I read in the bill....that is all.... you are expanding this to areas I have no desire to get into

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What!!!! How the heck did gender get into this..... I'm just going by what I read in the bill....that is all.... you are expanding this to areas I have no desire to get into
I'm using it as an example of a time when an alarm was rung over a Canadian bill but the doomsday soothsayers were wrong in their predictions. Why should we assume they'll be correct with this one?
Also the bill does mention some things about gender. I doubt the thread would exist if it didn't.

Wu Wei

I'm using it as an example of a time when an alarm was rung over a Canadian bill but the doomsday soothsayers were wrong in their predictions. Why should we assume they'll be correct with this one?
Also the bill does mention some things about gender. I doubt the thread would exist if it didn't.

I'm out, got what I wanted to know about this bill...do not want to go where you seem to be taking this....TTFN

Wu Wei

I've never seen a jury at the Supreme Court. Canadian judges aren't as ideological as their American counterparts.
I don't think the average US judges is all that ideological, but that could just be me, I have not dealt with any judges in many years

Wirey

Fartist
I don't think the average US judges is all that ideological, but that could just be me, I have not dealt with any judges in many years
You've had judges that struck down Roe v. Wade, and bequeathed reparations to people for crap that happened before their grandparents were born. That kind of thing isn't really possible this far north.

Wu Wei

You've had judges that struck down Roe v. Wade, and bequeathed reparations to people for crap that happened before their grandparents were born. That kind of thing isn't really possible this far north.
Still does not make them ideological..... as for the rest I could comment, but the last thing I want to deal with is the pile on that would occur should I say anything

anotherneil

That's too bad for, Canadians, but the first thing they need to do if they want to fix their country is switch from a monarchy to a republic. That way, their country belongs to them rather than essentially having themselves under the rule of some foreign emperor power moocher. Then they need to create a good bill of rights for their constitution.

Come on, Canadians, you can do it; I'm rooting for you!

Same with Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Jordan, Sweden, The Netherlands, and any other place/country/nation that has a monarch. Get into the 21st century, guys; this monarchy nonsense is ridiculous.

Sargonski

I would suggest this means more than just thoughts are required.

Nope .. "reasonable grounds" is completely arbitrary - can make up any old thing ... this is going after thoughts. Law on the basis of arbitrary personal opinion is an anathema to the Rule of Law principle of Equal Justice Under the Law .. and a bunch of other things.