• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you really be upset about someone preaching the gospel?

Sonic247

The most meaningful thing that I can remember about today was a quote I came across:
“If your Gospel isn't touching others, it hasn't touched you!
--Curry R. Blake
In my opinion this really rings true. How could a Christian believe what he says he believes without telling others? The natural tendency is to look out for yourself first , but to be a benefit to others is certainly more noble. “It is better to give than receive.” Perhaps some people are opposed to the preaching of the gospel and some people don’t understand, but that is no reason not to try. If a million people reject the gospel and one person accepts it then for all eternity that person will be saved. But the emphasis on the quote is on the people that already have the gift. Not sharing it is like having an endless supply of gold while people starve in the streets. Well the analogy falls apart because everyone wants gold not God, although he is more valuable. Even if someone is opposed to the preaching of the gospel they should understand that to a person who believes it it’s only natural to tell others.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have no more objection to people preaching the gospel than I do to any other salesperson pitching his or her product. That's to say, there's a time and place for it, and it's rude to try to sell people who've told you to go elsewhere.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I like this quote better- "Preach the Gospel, and sometimes use words"- St. Francis

That is the talk of someone who truly practices what they preach. A lot of Christians don't impress me because they don't practice what they preach, they're hypocrites. They condemn everybody who isn't a believer, but think it's ok to do the same things because they're saved. Except being gay, oh no, can't do that, LOL.

Sonic247

Well it's definitely not good to be rude or a hypocrite. I think it is good to sometimes say "thank you have a good day," if someone isn't interested, and then maybe hand out a tract, which perhaps people get all the time, but there is no obligation. Besides that, I have seen people read them before so I know it isn't completely vain.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think it is true that we can preach better by example. If you tell someone they are going to "hell" for doing something you consider a sin, how are they going to respond if you do something just as bad or even worse? There are several responses- 1. they are going to think you a hypocrite 2. They are going to scoff 3. They may say "if that guy (or gal) sins, why can't I? and so on and so forth. We have to be a good example or our words are meaningless.
:)

Sonic247

I say be as good as you can, but I still think God's word is purer than I am. I don't want anyone to think I achieved any righteousness on my own. I will tell people to trust in God because words are important. "Life and death is in the power of the tongue."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I intimately understand the perspective of being a Christian and the excitement and impulse involved to tell "the good news" to other folks, yet its not something that needs or should be aggressively and consistently proclaimed through various mediums.

I regard any excessive proselytizing to be an all too clear sign of a "spiritual" deficiency and shows clearly a lack of confidence in whatever is being said due to the consistent reinforcement of a theme time and time again, over and over, as if something will never take hold. Christianity shoots itself very well in the foot as a religion in that respect.

Proclaiming your religion and beliefs (or any religion or belief system for that matter) will suffice when done tastefully and briefly. If they come they come. If they don't they don't. Should be left at that.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Telling people that you believe something, but not putting it into practice, is pointless. Your belief doesn't mean anything. When I see a Christian who truly practices what they preach, I have great respect for that person.

Sonic247

I intimately understand the perspective of being a Christian and the excitement and impulse involved to tell "the good news" to other folks, yet its not something that needs or should be aggressively and consistently proclaimed through various mediums.

I regard any excessive proselytizing to be an all too clear sign of a "spiritual" deficiency and shows clearly a lack of confidence in whatever is being said due to the consistent reinforcement of a theme time and time again, over and over, as if something will never take hold. Christianity shoots itself very well in the foot as a religion in that respect.

Proclaiming your religion and beliefs (or any religion or belief system for that matter) will suffice when done tastefully and briefly. If they come they come. If they don't they don't. Should be left at that.
That's true, it's compared to planting a seed in scripture. And like it says "Paul planted, Apollos watered but God gave the increase." Planting another seed won't make the first one grow faster. Although if it's possible some water won't hurt.

DavyCrocket2003

I agree with Yosef. The most powerful influence we have for good or ill is who we are. I am afraid that many of us Christians turn people away from what we are saying by what who we are being. In order to care what someone has to say, you first have to respect who they are. Jesus taught "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and hide it under a bushel, but on a candlestick and it giveth light unto all the world." If we were actually living the things that Jesus taught, we would shine like a light. I am afraid that much of the salt of the earth is losing its savor, essentially becoming salt in name only. What's the point of calling something salt, if it tastes just like sand? Anyone can say they believe in Jesus Christ. Anyone can say they have faith. But it takes true conversion to live the Gospel. As Paul said, I will show you my faith by my works.

uss_bigd

19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

This is John 3:19, The peole depicted in the verse will be upset if the real gospel was preached.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Yeh you can be upset. Its rude to preach to anyone selling something like religion. For one, i couldn't care less about someones God and the fact that they're interupting my day only makes me resent their existance more.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's true, it's compared to planting a seed in scripture. And like it says "Paul planted, Apollos watered but God gave the increase." Planting another seed won't make the first one grow faster. Although if it's possible some water won't hurt.

Its a good approach in that you can express yourself in regards to your personal beliefs and views, yet not become an irritant to others who do not regard things in the same capacity.

uss_bigd

Its a good approach in that you can express yourself in regards to your personal beliefs and views, yet not become an irritant to others who do not regard things in the same capacity.

Belief must not be personal ... it must be based on: see my signature

Sonic247

Yeh you can be upset. Its rude to preach to anyone selling something like religion. For one, i couldn't care less about someones God and the fact that they're interupting my day only makes me resent their existance more.
Softly the light shines in through, The gates of grace on me and you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well it's definitely not good to be rude or a hypocrite. I think it is good to sometimes say "thank you have a good day," if someone isn't interested, and then maybe hand out a tract, which perhaps people get all the time, but there is no obligation. Besides that, I have seen people read them before so I know it isn't completely vain.
Speaking for myself, when I tell a proselytizer that I'm not interested, then this implies that I don't want him to give me a tract.

logician

The most meaningful thing that I can remember about today was a quote I came across:
--Curry R. Blake
In my opinion this really rings true. How could a Christian believe what he says he believes without telling others? The natural tendency is to look out for yourself first , but to be a benefit to others is certainly more noble. “It is better to give than receive.” Perhaps some people are opposed to the preaching of the gospel and some people don’t understand, but that is no reason not to try. If a million people reject the gospel and one person accepts it then for all eternity that person will be saved. But the emphasis on the quote is on the people that already have the gift. Not sharing it is like having an endless supply of gold while people starve in the streets. Well the analogy falls apart because everyone wants gold not God, although he is more valuable. Even if someone is opposed to the preaching of the gospel they should understand that to a person who believes it it’s only natural to tell others.

I consider evangelizing to be an invasion of privacy. Also, I think evangelical religions are inherenly dangerous (remember 9/11?), and disagree with any attempts to proselytize a religion.

Moonstone

inactive
...yes I can if they are the 'stop sinning (like they don't sin lol) or you're going to hell' kind of preacher. No one likes that. Otherwise...I agree with Yosef, words mean nothing without proper actions..no one likes a hypocrite.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I consider evangelizing to be an invasion of privacy. Also, I think evangelical religions are inherenly dangerous (remember 9/11?), and disagree with any attempts to proselytize a religion.
I've seen some evangelizing that tried to be an invasion of privacy, but I'm not sure that all of it is like that.

Personally, I think that unless you're evangelizing to someone who's actually expressed an interest in the religion you're peddling, evangelism is inherently disrespectful of the person being evangelized to.

--Curry R. Blake

I usually don't have a problem with it. But, when I say no thank you and they insist on continuing then it becomes annoying and I then become upset.